The Boston Beer Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Boston Beer Company President and CEO Martin Roper
Martin Roper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is a struggle (in 21 reviews)

• t treat a stray dog the way middle management treats whistle-blowing employees that question decisions that directly affect them (in 9 reviews)

1. "BBC"

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

You're in the alcohol industry, which can come off as glamorous. There's lots of training.

Cons

Extremely high paced and high pressure driven. The company influences and holds employees responsible for things it has no control over and sets unrealistic goals. The industry is so dynamic that management has no reality of current market demands.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple.

"Packaging Area Supervisor"

Former Employee - Packaging Supervisor in Breinigsville, PA
    Former Employee - Packaging Supervisor in Breinigsville, PA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Beer. There are some great folks in the hourly pool.

Cons

Management is a wreck in packaging. Downright nasty at times, HR does nothing despite numerous (broken) promises and complete astonishment when they were told how we were treated. Had a manager tell me flat out that I had no discernible personality. Supervisors were thrown around between shifts, often with a week's notice or less, forced to work nights and weekends or even rotate shifts (with weekends in between so you might have 24 hours to flip shifts), job description was constantly changed.

Advice to Management

Treat your supervisors like humans, not robot babysitters. And for Boston mgmt, accept what your market position really is and own it. You can't compete with the microbreweries any more, but you've got some really good stuff if you'd just sell it right.

The Boston Beer Company Response

Aug 3, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience in Packaging at our PA Brewery. Thank you for your feedback - it takes all of us openly talking about our culture to make it successful. I’m sharing... More

"packaging"

Former Employee - Packaging Representative in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Packaging Representative in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great

Cons

They over work the empoyees

Advice to Management

Need to listen to the employees more

"Too many managers"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Breinigsville, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Breinigsville, PA

Pros

Several years ago it was a great place to work - today, not so much..

Cons

have created way to many positions - filled with a bunch of people who have very little brewing experience...

Advice to Management

Stop creating positions...

"Perks only go so far...."

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun culture, free beer, casual work environment.

Cons

Management not in tune with the fact that employees want careers. Little to no development. Pay is low for the amount of hours worked. Some depts are out the door at 4pm while others work weekends.

Advice to Management

The fun perks only go so far. People want opportunity and fulfillment. Middle management should take note of turnover.

6. "regional disitribution analyst"

Former Employee - Regional Distribution Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Regional Distribution Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Quick promotion, friendly staff, excellent training

Cons

I had no bad experience

Advice to Management

Good job

"Boston Beer is sadly changing its personable personality"

Current Employee - Brewing in Breinigsville, PA
    Current Employee - Brewing in Breinigsville, PA

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Pay is good!
    -Free beer (2 cases/month) is great!
    -Benefits are surprisingly wonderful!
    -The company is growing and being part of that atmosphere is cool.

Cons

-Vacation is just meh (at least in PA it is).
    -They say they "listen" to employees. They do sometimes (which is great), but they don't acknowledge the hard topics. They say "discuss the undiscussable." I have tried. So have many other people. May actually be counter-productive.
    -Some managers don't have the soft skills. Not just anybody has the skills to be a good manager. I have noticed that recently.
    -Saddest Point - Growing so fast that they are making bad decision, both financially and personally. When I started, I felt they valued me, now I feel like I am just another body. Also they are spending money like crazy to meet demand when simple solutions can be just as productive.

Advice to Management

Management from Boston... Stop by randomly some day and talk to the employees (not just upper management). While some people complain to complain, you may hear some sad realities.

"Work Life Unbalance"

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Boston beer gives decent benefits. Obviously, you have to pay for the benefits but they are not bad. There is free beer.

Cons

Giving employees who work 2+ years a maximum of 21 days PTO is ridiculous (this includes sick days). You have guys at this company who work for 20 years and only get 3 weeks paid vacation or sick days, and then you have guys who work for 2 years and get the same amount. If you work 0-2 years you get 17 days. If you work at the brewery be prepared that you cannot take Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years or summer off. You essentially can take off between January- June for any vacations you had planned. If you work finance be prepared that you may not be able to take extended vacation during Christmas. But as HR will say, "you should be lucky you even get that time off."

Jim Koch is a great guy and I think he would be ashamed if he knew some of the things that happen at this company. There is a lot of work-life balance and discuss the undiscussable talks but when you do either of those, you will get told you are not working hard enough and that you should look at other opportunities. I know the work hard-play hard mentality, but this sir, is not it. Many people at this company are promoted to the level of their true incompetence.

If you are not a skinny blonde or a bro fresh out of college, do not try to work as a sales representative. You will not get the job.

Advice to Management

Change the PTO policy. Let people actually discuss the undiscussables without fear that it has been recorded on a piece of paper to be thrown back in the employees face.

9. "Managment doesn't treat hourly employees well."

Current Employee - Brewer in Breinigsville, PA
    Current Employee - Brewer in Breinigsville, PA

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Money, free beer, lots of work are all good things that come with the job. I've been with the company for over 10 years and have seen it all.

Cons

Mismanaged company that starts with the owner. If this company made anything other than beer, which has a huge profit margin, it would surely fail. Ideas are constantly ignored and work life is of no concern to the hourly employees. There's definitely a difference in the way salary and hourly employees are treated and viewed.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots and listen to your hourly employees who build your company from the bottom. Without them you'd have nothing.

"it was a cool job, but you have no life"

Former Employee - Brewer in Penns Park, PA
    Former Employee - Brewer in Penns Park, PA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

cool culture and free beer

Cons

you are just a number

Advice to Management

practice what you preach