The Boston Beer Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Boston Beer Company President and CEO Martin Roper
Martin Roper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge if you don't manage it yourself (in 22 reviews)

• t treat a stray dog the way middle management treats whistle-blowing employees that question decisions that directly affect them (in 9 reviews)

1. "Boston Beer"

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

The Training, The People and of course excellent Free Beer

Cons

Pay, Bonus and annual merit increase system.

2. "Sam Adams Pennsylvania Brewery"

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

Education about the craft beer experience

Cons

Large business problems that are forced to be solved with a small business mentality.

3. "Brewery Ambassador"

Former Employee - Brewery Ambassador in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Brewery Ambassador in Boston, MA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome part time job. Free Beer!

Cons

Very Busy in the summer

Advice to Management

pay could be better

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, amazing co-workers who become like a 2nd family.

Cons

Insane workload expectations, too many MGRS, not enough workers, mixed messaging about brands

Advice to Management

Hire more Indians and less chiefs. Then, let the Indians actually work there way up the ladder appropriately.

"Brewery Rep Role a mixed bag"

Current Employee - Brewery Representative
    Current Employee - Brewery Representative

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Couldn't ask for a better foot into the industry. All kinds of corporate training from Day 1. Selling Skills, Negotiations, Beer Education training every two months or so in Boston. Sets you up well for a career with them or for your next job with a wholesaler or another craft brewer (if you wait out the one-year non-compete).

Pay is pretty solid. If you're smart with your money, you can pay your bills, live comfortably, and put some money away in your early 20's.

PTO is good. 17 days to start, 22 after two years. And they encourage you to use it.

Opportunities for upward mobility (if you are willing to relocate).

Cons

Work-life balance is horrible. Expectations are that you constantly do multiple tastings and promotions per week. These are outdated and ineffective ways of trying to sell beer. You don't see many other companies doing these things. It's a lot of 10 and 12 hour days, and a lot of working on Saturdays as well.

The core drinker base is getting older and isn't being replaced with new, younger drinkers. Unsustainable.

People are leaving left and right. I feel like I get a farewell email or two every Friday. That being said, a lot of the same people have been around for a really long time, which is a good thing and a bad thing. Company loyalty is great, but fresh ideas and new lines of thinking are great too.

The industry in general is an absolute snake pit. There isn't a product on the market to the American consumer with a more fickle, unpredictable, and oftentimes nonsensical buying behavior than craft beer. The pieces of the pie are getting smaller and smaller with every new brewery that opens up. The US beer market can't support 5,000 breweries. Go figure.

Overall, this company is on the way down. Craft beer and cider are experiencing drinker favoritism of local and regional brands, not national brands. Sam Adams will always do fine in New England, but it wouldn't be surprising to see the company pull out of some markets where there isn't a strong foothold and too much local competition (California, Oregon, Washington) in the next five years. Thank goodness for the diversification of the portfolio, because without Twisted Tea, this company would be dead.

Advice to Management

You talk about how important the sales force is going to be to returning the company to growth and you invest all of these resources into training us, so maybe you should listen to what we have to say about product/programming ideas instead of doing random focus groups.

And if you ask us for our thoughts, opinions, and feedback, it's probably best to do it BEFORE you've made a decision. Asking what we think about something after a decision has already been made and money has been spent comes across as incredibly disingenuous.

You might want to consider putting some people in brand development who have EVER sold ANYTHING in their lives. There needs to be a clear path from sales to brand and the stigma around leaving sales to go work in the office needs to go away. Bringing people into brand who have been in the market recently and have been trained in the BBC selling process are valuable assets to brand. Brand's communication with the rest of the company is AWFUL. Salespeople know how to talk to other salespeople and what they need to have to make an initiative successful.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid product line up of great beers. Great PTO policy especially when starting out. You get 22 days of PTO after two years.

Cons

Asking a lot of the employees, especially those on the street daily. Don't have time to take PTO. You are not shunned for taking it but if you do you come back to triple the work and not very relaxed.

Offer a open door policy of "discuss the undiscussables" but in reality you have a good chance of being penalized.

The division managers and upper management make all of the decisions and often times out of touch with reality. I realize they need to push more but when you are pushing brands that aren't growing it does get frustrating to listen to all of the time.

Moral is down and a lot of people will be leaving by the end of the year. It is such as shame as the company had a lot of potential but made several bad decisions on pricing, brand marketing and beer styles.

Advice to Management

You have loyal employees but the loyalty is starting to be tarnished. I realize you are focused on the long term but if the short term is not fixed there will be no long term.

"Didn't last long"

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

Boston Beer company really cares about your knowledge of beer and really makes it fun to learn. They fly you out to Boston for your on boarding

Cons

Unfortunately the management was not great in my area so I didn't feel like I had the support needed to do well in this business.

8. "A good Job if you like Overtime, like a lot."

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Good pay and very competitive, lots of overtime that is mostly seasonal, Product quality is excellent, overall good attitude from employees and managers, great production numbers, pretty safe work environment, lots of after work events and programs.

Cons

Lots of overtime mostly seasonal, Mandatory Overtime selection process is set up for failure if you like being at home, overall poor communication through employees, Training is pretty poor.

Advice to Management

Get better communication, Set schedules better and run with them, Create or fix the mandatory OT process.

9. "Boston Beer"

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

Free Beer, Good Benefits, solid 401k

Cons

Work Life Balance, no movement up the ladder

10. "Loved it but..."

Former Employee - Pennsylvania in Breinigsville, PA
    Former Employee - Pennsylvania in Breinigsville, PA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Great workers. Good time off. Potential for OT.

Cons

You are a number. If you get an X on your back watch out. Not consistent. Boston doesnt care.

Advice to Management

Award the people that work