The Boston Beer Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Boston Beer Company President and CEO Martin Roper
Martin Roper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is a struggle (in 21 reviews)

• t treat a stray dog the way middle management treats whistle-blowing employees that question decisions that directly affect them (in 9 reviews)

1. "The Boston Beer Company"

Current Employee - Office Operations Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Office Operations Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The overall culture of The Boston Beer Company sets a standard that few companies are willing or capable of reaching. Each and every person that you come in to contact with is friendly and easy to talk to showcasing just how wonderful this company is to work for. The interview process was a few hours long, however each person that I met with was kind, outgoing, and had in-depth knowledge about the role and the company as a whole. I left my interview knowing this is how a company should be run and this is who I want to work for.

Cons

I do not have any complaints in regards to The Boston Beer Company.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, amazing co-workers who become like a 2nd family.

Cons

Insane workload expectations, too many MGRS, not enough workers, mixed messaging about brands

Advice to Management

Hire more Indians and less chiefs. Then, let the Indians actually work there way up the ladder appropriately.

3. "Thankful to be a part of this team..."

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work here and benefits/perks for this company are incredible. I feel so thankful to work for a company that cares so much about their employees. The hiring process is extremely lengthy but I truly believe that it's so they find the right people and it's absolutely worth every single step. It's an honor to be a part of this team.

Cons

If you've never worked in the beer industry it's a lot to take in at first. Long days and a lot of traveling for trainings and shadowing in the first month or so but if you're a sponge and a hard worker you learn a lot and it will absolutely pay off.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work... Keep showing the employees how much you appreciate them and they will keep working hard. Thank you for everything you do.

Sep 6, 2017 – Cheryl Fisher, VP of Human Resources

We’re grateful to have people like you on the team! We take pride in hiring great people who are not only passionate about the beer, but also about what they do every day. You're right, it can be a... More

4. "Great Place"

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location and place to work.

Cons

None at the moment to lsit.

Sep 6, 2017 – Cheryl Fisher, VP of Human Resources

Thank you for the review -- we are grateful for all that you do!

5. "Promotions Manager"

Former Employee - Promotions Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Promotions Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people, brand and leadership

Cons

With growth comes changes in the culture, but all in all they stay true to who they are as best they can while growing an international brand

6. "Account manager"

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

Love it here. Great benefits

Cons

Work life balance is a struggle

Sep 6, 2017 – Recruiting Team

Thank you! We are proud of our “work hard, play hard” culture and the amazing people we have on our team that strive to make us better every day. We agree that work/life balance is an important part... More

7. "BBC"

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

You're in the alcohol industry, which can come off as glamorous. There's lots of training.

Cons

Extremely high paced and high pressure driven. The company influences and holds employees responsible for things it has no control over and sets unrealistic goals. The industry is so dynamic that management has no reality of current market demands.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple.

"Packaging Area Supervisor"

Former Employee - Packaging Supervisor in Breinigsville, PA
    Former Employee - Packaging Supervisor in Breinigsville, PA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Beer. There are some great folks in the hourly pool.

Cons

Management is a wreck in packaging. Downright nasty at times, HR does nothing despite numerous (broken) promises and complete astonishment when they were told how we were treated. Had a manager tell me flat out that I had no discernible personality. Supervisors were thrown around between shifts, often with a week's notice or less, forced to work nights and weekends or even rotate shifts (with weekends in between so you might have 24 hours to flip shifts), job description was constantly changed.

Advice to Management

Treat your supervisors like humans, not robot babysitters. And for Boston mgmt, accept what your market position really is and own it. You can't compete with the microbreweries any more, but you've got some really good stuff if you'd just sell it right.

Aug 3, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience in Packaging at our PA Brewery. Thank you for your feedback - it takes all of us openly talking about our culture to make it successful. I’m sharing... More

9. "A Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - District Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth and worker training.

Cons

Long-term pressures in the craft-beer industry.

Advice to Management

Don't chase trends - create them and stay true to who you are.

Sep 6, 2017 – Cheryl Fisher, VP of Human Resources

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback . We have a high commitment to our values and our culture -- and at the core of that is our commitment to brewing the best beer and challenging the status quo... More

"Brewery Rep Role a mixed bag"

Current Employee - Brewery Representative

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Couldn't ask for a better foot into the industry. All kinds of corporate training from Day 1. Selling Skills, Negotiations, Beer Education training every two months or so in Boston. Sets you up well for a career with them or for your next job with a wholesaler or another craft brewer (if you wait out the one-year non-compete).

Pay is pretty solid. If you're smart with your money, you can pay your bills, live comfortably, and put some money away in your early 20's.

PTO is good. 17 days to start, 22 after two years. And they encourage you to use it.

Opportunities for upward mobility (if you are willing to relocate).

Cons

Work-life balance is horrible. Expectations are that you constantly do multiple tastings and promotions per week. These are outdated and ineffective ways of trying to sell beer. You don't see many other companies doing these things. It's a lot of 10 and 12 hour days, and a lot of working on Saturdays as well.

The core drinker base is getting older and isn't being replaced with new, younger drinkers. Unsustainable.

People are leaving left and right. I feel like I get a farewell email or two every Friday. That being said, a lot of the same people have been around for a really long time, which is a good thing and a bad thing. Company loyalty is great, but fresh ideas and new lines of thinking are great too.

The industry in general is an absolute snake pit. There isn't a product on the market to the American consumer with a more fickle, unpredictable, and oftentimes nonsensical buying behavior than craft beer. The pieces of the pie are getting smaller and smaller with every new brewery that opens up. The US beer market can't support 5,000 breweries. Go figure.

Overall, this company is on the way down. Craft beer and cider are experiencing drinker favoritism of local and regional brands, not national brands. Sam Adams will always do fine in New England, but it wouldn't be surprising to see the company pull out of some markets where there isn't a strong foothold and too much local competition (California, Oregon, Washington) in the next five years. Thank goodness for the diversification of the portfolio, because without Twisted Tea, this company would be dead.

Advice to Management

You talk about how important the sales force is going to be to returning the company to growth and you invest all of these resources into training us, so maybe you should listen to what we have to say about product/programming ideas instead of doing random focus groups.

And if you ask us for our thoughts, opinions, and feedback, it's probably best to do it BEFORE you've made a decision. Asking what we think about something after a decision has already been made and money has been spent comes across as incredibly disingenuous.

You might want to consider putting some people in brand development who have EVER sold ANYTHING in their lives. There needs to be a clear path from sales to brand and the stigma around leaving sales to go work in the office needs to go away. Bringing people into brand who have been in the market recently and have been trained in the BBC selling process are valuable assets to brand. Brand's communication with the rest of the company is AWFUL. Salespeople know how to talk to other salespeople and what they need to have to make an initiative successful.