The Boston Globe Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John W. Henry

Pros
  • Great people highly committed to there task (in 6 reviews)

• Easy commute access nice people good cafteria food very inexpensive (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It's no secret the company is failing, so job security is zero (in 3 reviews)

• Promotion was not fair and low morale (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great First Job"

Pros

Great company culture! Absolutely love working here.

Cons

Old building, can't wait to move to the new State Street offices.

2. "Manager"

I worked at The Boston Globe full-time

Pros

Extraordinarily important mission, interesting work, smart and dedicated co-workers.

Cons

The business model for print media is incredibly challenged, and the change process is painful. There is no diversity at the company - predominantly white men. The environment for women is uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Be more open to a diversity of ideas and new way of doing things.

3. "No longer a great place to work"

I worked at The Boston Globe full-time

Pros

Being part of a news organization that has made a real difference in the community.

Cons

Constant layoffs make for a very stressful environment. No one feels safe so it's impossible to do your best work.

Advice to Management

Realize that you have great people who want to make the company succeed - and you can't hire your way to success.

5. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Taunton, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Taunton, MA

I worked at The Boston Globe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, plenty of parking

Cons

Customer Service Representatives are treated poorly. Hours are structure to avoid paid breaks. Very high turnover, leads to remaining employees getting dumped on.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees the way you would like to be treated.

6. "Journalist"

I worked at The Boston Globe full-time

Pros

The Globe has a strong, traditional news operation, staffed by dedicated journalists who know their craft. The news the paper produces matches in quality that of any and every local/regional newspaper in the US. The paper's new ownership (John Henry) has shown a strong commitment to experimentation with new business models and new ways to reach new audiences.

Cons

Like most daily newspapers today, the Globe's pay range for journalists is terrible. The paper has not found a way to break the national "curse" of local news organizations being short-sighted in terms of what they consider to be news and how they approach topics of interest to local communities. The news staff isn't very diverse, ethnically. And top management is really void of diversity.

Advice to Management

Diversify to better reflect the Greater Boston community, and do so among top management ranks, not just entry-level journalists.

7. "Pressman since late 90's"

Current Employee - Pressman in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Pressman in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Boston Globe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Union representation and per press manning.

Cons

Dying industry for all print even though we are moving toward more commercial work.

Advice to Management

Listen to journeyman's advice when purchasing new equipment.

8. "Production Coordinator"

Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Boston Globe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An easy-going workplace where I get along with my fellow co-workers and where work is valued.

Cons

Moving to a location that is inaccessible by any form of public transportation whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Move to a location that is accessible by some form of public transportation.

9. "Lots of change, lots of opportunity"

I have been working at The Boston Globe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Motivated, passionate leadership from the sales and advertising wing. Huge changes on the sales team have occurred but the new people are energized and competitive

Cons

Still ironing some things out. Management are great leaders but some have a lot to learn about media. Also seems to be some instability for older/long time employees as the globe works on re-inventing itself

Advice to Management

Listen and learn and stay excited

"It was so bad that I left!"

Pros

They pay their engineering team a competitive salary, but the complexity and challenging nature of the work completed could be completed by someone worth 50% of their competitive salary rate. So don't expect anything challenging.

Cons

As others have mentioned, I left because it was so bad. If you're in a web / engineering / tech role, avoid this company at all costs, unless you risk going homeless and can't find anything else. I'm taking this place off my resume, too. I've had nothing good to say about them.

It's no secret the company is failing, so job security is zero.

Management is delusional beyond belief and won't admit they don't know what they are doing. They have constant layoffs and buyouts, so obviously the company is doing something wrong, but the SAME managers are still there after several years of failure.

The web teams in particular believe they are reinventing the media industry when what they are doing is spinning up WordPress blogs. All the websites are a mess with bloatware ads, and nobody knows what they are doing and are not willing to admit things are bad.

Micro-management from top to bottom with unqualified, non-technical project managers running engineering teams and trying to do an Agile/Scrum process that is really micromanagement. They constantly ask you for updates on your work and dictate what technologies you should use and how you should do it. Also, you'll end up having 5 different managers you need to report to.

As another person mentioned, my team, too, was toxic beyond belief with a manipulative project manager that over-complicated simple tasks with micromanagement.

With the tight budget, management is willing to back stab their underlings if it means keeping their jobs.

Company lures you in with salary bonuses, but you get nothing in the end because the company's financials are horrible.

No formal HR tracking software. You have to e-mail an HR person when you want to take a vacation or sick day.

Horrible IT security practices. They email your passwords in plain text, and everybody gets the same password on the first day, and you cannot change it unless you call IT.

$2,700 healthcare deductible with fuzzy prescription coverage.

Weird culture clash. You have old school project managers who love micromanagement, but then, in the Slack channels, you have unprofessional young employees who post Giphy memes and make jokes involving private parts.

I hear they are moving to the financial district and selling the old building. The funds from the sale of the old building can only last so long to keep up with the lease of the new building. It'll be interesting to see how long this company lasts before it dwindles into ashes!

I wish I had read my own review before I had joined the company! I would not have joined at all!

Advice to Management

Stop putting energy into crappy features that make no money and that nobody cares about.

Fire all the managers that have been there for too long and have survived layoffs and buyouts yet won't take any blame for the failing direction of the company.

Get rid of the micro-management and trust the engineers.

11. "freelance food writer"

Pros

well respected newspaper with national and local audience

Cons

newspapers do not pay much