The Bowdoin Group Reviews | Glassdoor

The Bowdoin Group Reviews

Updated February 13, 2019

4.4
The Bowdoin Group Founder and CEO David J. Melville Jr.
David J. Melville Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fast paced, exciting company to work for!"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at The Bowdoin Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at the Bowdoin Group for over 6 years and have seen the company evolve over the past few years; from our physical space, to the clients we partner with, to our involvement in the community and the talent we have retained internally. I love working here and have developed a lot of great personal and professional relationships.
    The people we work with (both internally and externally) are truly incredible. I 100% trust my team and always can count on them. Very collaborative and I genuinely like the people I work with!

Always a new challenge- we are a small company in growth mode and therefore there is always something new to learn and new opportunities to grow our commute.
    Flexibility to balance work and family life- It's expected that everyone works hard and gets their job done, but Bowdoin allows each employee to find the right balance. I have young children and have had the ability to shift my hours to be available for daycare pick up and spending time with my family, while also getting my job done.

Cons

The Waltham commute can be tough! However, having a company that allows flexible hours is extremely important.
    Our team runs lean and we are constantly pushed to take on more. This can be challenging at times but has also provided great career growth for internal talent. It’s tough to balance hiring and expected growth, I would say the company has made a lot of effort in the past few months to get ahead of this.

Feb 16, 2019

Thank you for such a great review. I am so happy you have had an opportunity to grow your professional life while keeping you family life the priority! Until we figure out the traffic, we will keep... More

2. "Exciting company to work for!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Bowdoin Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Life at The Bowdoin Group is fast-paced and agile which has kept me on my toes since Day #1. Starting 8 months ago, I was thrown right into the fire with solid training and the chance to learn on the fly from the Management Directors and those sitting close by. Everyone was extremely warm, welcoming, and friendly as I got up to speed learning the ropes of a new company and new industry.

I have worked closely with The Bowdoin Group's senior management team in addition to gaining a ton of visibility to C-level clients and prospects - something that I have always valued. What makes The Bowdoin Group different is that the management team is dedicated to the growth of the firm and us as employees which has been a nice change. They actively invest in the people, providing constant feedback and communication around company initiatives on a regular basis. They worked hand-in-hand with the company to revise our Mission and Vision statements in the first few months of my tenure which was an incredible process to be a part of.

The other thing that makes The Bowdoin Group different is their commitment to giving back to the community. They have supported my weekly volunteering commitment through the transition and I was able to join "TBG Cares" which is a group of Bowdoin employees dedicated to organizing volunteering trips to places like Rosie's Place in the South End in addition to brainstorming fun corporate culture-building activities and outings.

Cons

The drive out to Waltham from downtown Boston isn't easy, but luckily they have a Boston office which makes it a bit easier of a commute on days I don't have to drive out to Waltham.

Their 401K matching program isn't the best, but it's OK.

Feb 1, 2019

Thank you for the review! One of the things I love about our team is regardless of tenure or title we are all work together. Yes- Boston traffic is awful!!!!! Hopefully our two locations provide... More

3. "Launched my Career in Staffing! Highly Recommend!"

Former Employee - Consultant/Recruiter in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant/Recruiter in Wellesley, MA

I worked at The Bowdoin Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Fantastic Culture
    *Uncapped earning potential
    *Genuine people/the ability to be your true self at work
    *Constant feedback and investment in ongoing training
    *Annual incentive trips and quarterly award dinners
    *Company actively gives back to the community

I now work for a very large Fortune #15 company and to date have not met another Recruiter that seems to have had such a positive experience working for a staffing firm. This is a company that truly invests in people and in shaping raw talent. I was hired into my next job lacking 5+ years of the experience required for the position because I was exposed to very sophisticated clients across multiple industries for all levels of positions at a very young age. You will never be viewed as a number or solely for the revenue you are able to generate. My experience with Bowdoin exposed me to recruiting for the first time and has lit a passion within me for the industry that will never die.

If you are on the fence about accepting an offer or apply to Bowdoin Group, take the leap of faith. It may be one of the best decisions you'll ever make.

Cons

Compensation was fair but base salary guarantees were quite low compared to the Heidrick, Korn Ferry, Egon Zehnders and most corporate salaries in the space. However, most do cap total earning potential which Bowdoin does not and most do not hire entry level talent. It's still hard to pass up on guaranteed compensation similar to average total earning in commissions.

Otherwise, no cons from my end. I found the culture transparent and if issues ever came up, I felt comfortable talking them through and that I was heard.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I can't thank you enough.

Nov 8, 2017

Thank you for your review! I am so happy you had a positive experience and that you were able to find your passion while working with us. I wish you continued success, and I as I am sure you know... More

4. "great place to work & grow"

I worked at The Bowdoin Group full-time

Pros

- exposure to really interesting industries & companies
    - quickly gain responsibility as you're able to take on more
    - focused on growing & doing the right thing

Cons

- some disconnect between new and old employees

Nov 14, 2017

Thank you for your review! We are very fortunate to work with really cool, cutting edge companies who are always driving us to adapt, change and grow. I am glad we are challenged by teammates like... More

5. "Great Experience"

I worked at The Bowdoin Group full-time

Pros

Great people and doing great work!

Cons

Keep doing big things

6. "Great companies can always work on a few things...doesn't take away from their greatness!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Bowdoin Group full-time

Pros

- Great company culture
    - Good/Fair compensation for Sales, Recruiting, and Operations functions
    - Unbelievably flexible work environment (days off, flexible commuting schedule, WFH, WeWork space)
    - Nice Office/Park (ping pong, cornhole, LeanBox, food trucks all summer)
    - Management cares about employees
    - Most importantly, rewarding and challenging work. Everyone's achievements and successes are genuinely recognized

Cons

- Hard seeing path to certain positions (no one leaving anytime soon)
    - Tough to unwind/detach from work at home or on vacation

Advice to Management

Executive and Sr Level Management works 24x7, which leads to over working and setting a bad example. Understanding that businesses never sleep, but people can/will/have get burnt out because they feel like they need to be working 24x7 (home and on vacation) because their managers do.

Having said that, the business formula is working. The evolution of the company in recent years is remarkable. Bowdoin has the right blueprint with the right people. We now to just need to stay course and make sure you keep the great team you have.

At the end of the day, this is a great company to work for. I am lucky to work here.

Jul 15, 2017

Thank you so much for your nice review! I am glad you provided an opportunity to discuss work/life balance. As you pointed out, a flexible schedule is part of what makes The Bowdoin Group great and... More

7. "Bowdoin Group is an excellent company to work for!"

Current Employee - Director in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at The Bowdoin Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, wonderful people with an excellent company culture. We partner with our clients and look to service them with excellence.

Cons

Continuously changing to contend with the changing marketplace.

Advice to Management

Even though we are getting larger, please continue to operate like a small company so that our culture remains the same and we are always committed to helping the people we serve!

Jun 11, 2017

Thank you for the review and your advice. Maintaining our culture while staying at the forefront of the changing marketplace is definitely a challenge. The way we can accomplish this is by staying... More

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at The Bowdoin Group full-time

Pros

-Excellent leadership team who really cares about career growth and employee needs/wants
    -Innovative collaborative office space

Cons

-most times, very tough commute/traffic due to industry growth in the area

Advice to Management

- more compelling 401K would be nice, almost no match currently

Jan 19, 2017

Thank for the review!!! It is both an honor and humbling to part of such a great team. Regarding the traffic, I met with the Mayor of Waltham and she said she is trying to get a monorail built... More

9. "Rewarding in many ways"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at The Bowdoin Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very transparent culture where everyone works hard and really cares about what we do - focus on delivering excellence and living our values every day

it's the type of company where you can make a lot of money if you work hard and you also feel good about it since you've helped people, especially during critical points in their lives

Cons

Waltham traffic can be tough at peak commuting and the night of a Pats game, but management allows flexibility so we're able to adjust

Advice to Management

keep investing in our growth - it's working!

Dec 19, 2016

Thank you for the review. I am so glad you have find your experience rewarding and that feel comfortable with our transparent culture! You are right- Peak hour commuting on the evenings of Patriots... More

10. "A place where you can actually make an impact!"

I have been working at The Bowdoin Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've only been with the company for a couple years, but in my short time here, I have been able to make a true impact. Unlike other companies, Bowdoin empowers you to take real, ambitious strides that advance your career. I have received more out of two years here than I probably would in 5 years at a larger company where I was just a number. That combined with the flexibility I have to do my job (WFH days, etc) make Bowdoin a diamond in the rough compared to other recruiting firms!

Cons

To work at Bowdoin, you have to be a go-getter. If you're looking for the typical 9-5, this is not the place for you. If you want to make a real difference at a company and set yourself up for success later on in your career, then Bowdoin is definitely worth your attention!

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on career development, especially for entry-level hires.

Sep 5, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am really happy you feel empowered to take steps to advance your career. We have a lot of new and experienced people making great contributions... More