The Breakaway Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
The Breakaway Group Managing Director at The Breakaway Group Dr. Heather Haugen
Dr. Heather Haugen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Xerox Murdered This Company"

I worked at The Breakaway Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Originally a wonderful, entrepreneurial work environment with thoughtful leadership, relevant products and services, and fun colleagues.

Cons

Now a soul-sucking sweatshop after being acquired by Xerox in 2011. Focus is entirely on quarterly numbers, and senior management at Xerox is completely clueless on the length of the sales cycle or what TBG even does.

Advice to Management

Such a toxic environment to work in, it's doubtful anything can be done as long as Xerox continues as the parent company. Not sure it can be saved now regardless.

2. "Intern"

Pros

Great company with great people and management. Nice office location.

Cons

Technology needs to be updated.

"Integrity in the face of challenges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at The Breakaway Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked at TBG since 2008, I've seen many changes here and worn many hats. The one consistent thing, even after the acquisition by Xerox, has been the integrity of the people here, including the executive team. There have and continue to be many challenges in healthcare and in our field of healthcare, and TBG continues to offer a good product created by good people and great coworkers.

Cons

I think it's unfortunate that TBG cannot provide a simple, annual cost-of-living increase to its employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to be as open as possible with employees, about TBG prospects and efforts. Implement an annual cost-of-living increase.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Vice President Business Development in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Vice President Business Development in Greenwood Village, CO

Pros

Nice people, with a very different culture...very helpful to the community

Cons

poor management
    Xerox !
    Too expensive for current market

Advice to Management

lower the price so the solution is sellable

"Leadership sold out on their people. Machiavelli fans welcome!"

Former Employee - Operations in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Operations in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at The Breakaway Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Peer-level employees take care of each other and are fun to be around. Shiny clean offices to work in.

Cons

Company is run by a Machiavellian philosophy, not a meritocracy. Management only looks out for number one. They breed a "tree-fort" like culture where only the highest level leadership get rewarded for the extreme hard work and sacrifice of the majority of the company: the overworked and underpaid "little guys". There's a crystal clear charade of "fun" and "acceptance" culture covering a very serious lack of trust and exclusion philosophy that keeps all of the cards held very close to leadership's chests. If you're not in the tree fort, don't fall for the sugary day-care atmosphere. CEO sold the company to Xerox in 2012 and it's been straight downhill ever since.

Advice to Management

Respect everyone by being truly transparent, paying what's fair and not hopelessly trying to convince everyone you're fun and exciting. There have been far too many occasions when leadership goes so far as to even quote Machiavelli himself, believing everyone's too dumb to catch on. The lying, cheating and backstabbing is just ridiculous.

"The people at TBG make the job."

Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist

Pros

The people at TBG make the job.
    The probability to get promoted is slim.
    The work can be boring and also slim.
    The projects can be fun, if we have a good relationship with the client.

Cons

The "healthy" culture isn't really healthy. It's more of a facade to make us look good to clients.
    Our training solution is very outdated. Management tries to manage, but they end up making projects messy and more difficult.

From the outside, we've got it all together. But once you are here for a while, you start to realize how far behind we are in healthcare and how the "culture" is actually unhealthy politics.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. Transparency isn't just a word, it's a value. A value that we want and need.

"Fun place to work, but can't pay bills with fun."

I have been working at The Breakaway Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work, good co-workers and not a whole lot more. I will miss working here when I leave, but not worth the headaches of actually being here.

Cons

Engagement Managers constantly throwing people under the bus, haven't received an annual raise since I started. Most people work 6 hours a day which puts a huge burden on those trying to make a career here. Benefits are extremely expensive for terrible insurance, you would be better off finding your own insurance.

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they deserve.

"Always consider the source of these reviews"

Former Employee - Founder in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Founder in Denver, CO

I worked at The Breakaway Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Breakaway Group does something courageous. If you have a great attitude, want to work for something larger than a paycheck and truly perform – it is a wonderful place to work. However, if you are self-absorbed, entitled and non-productive, this is a tough place to work. The culture is for those of high performance and it perfectly removes those who choose to spend time complaining. (The bulk of those who use this medium to complain fall into that category.)

Cons

The company had to go through a transformation when Xerox acquired it three years ago. Any small business that creates enough value to be attractive to the likes of Xerox goes through a grieving period typical to any loss. In this case, the quarterly push from a publically traded company detracts from some of the original creativity. The value of course from Xerox is the financial stability. Decent tradeoff.

Advice to Management

Continue to run a transparent organization, share information, involve people. The "fun" aspect that has always been the hallmark of TBG needs to continue. Don't let the complainers and naysayers steal the agenda...

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Multimedia Developer in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Multimedia Developer in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at The Breakaway Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other employees (minus management). That's about it.

Cons

When I started, I was told there would be:

• Opportunity for advancement
    • Pay raises (at least annual cost of living increases)
    • Flexible scheduling
    • Management that cared
    • Something to do on a daily basis that wasn't busy work

None of this is true.

Let me break these bullets down:

- Opportunity for advancement: The only positions you can advance to are sales or customer support. But, even if you manage to get "promoted" they will not pay you for the promotion, so very little incentive to apply.

- Pay raises: Pay rates are said to be based on market value. But most positions on average are paid $20,000 less a year than their actual market value – this is simply because they made up names for these roles. For instance, Instructional Writer? Try, Technical Writer – which is concurrent with their job description.

- Flexible scheduling: This is just falling apart at the seams. They used to allow some employees the opportunity to work from home a few days a week. This has since been removed. Other employees complain when others work a different schedule, so now it's pretty much a 9 hour block of hours they are open, and if you are not there during that time, it's held against you.

- Management that cared: Most of management isn't fit for their position. Aggressive micro-management is a common theme in the office, and morale is extremely low. They refuse to take a risk on their employees and end up funneling any creativity that comes from within. For instance, one Operations Manager shot down an idea, simply because they didn't come up with it. They feigned speaking to their manager about the idea, and passed the blame on to their manager.

- Something to do on a daily basis: This is nearly impossible anymore. If we're working, it's because someone messed something up, or our outdated technology is catching up with us. The sales team isn't getting enough work to keep the employees occupied on projects. So instead, we're forced to work on internal training programs for new hires, that will never see the light of day - especially when the workload could be supported by a quarter of the employees.

Moving on;

Every year, they award a "Promise Award" to outstanding employees (who "Leave more than they take"), and the majority of winners of this award are no longer working for the company, which says a lot. This award is given to management, more often than not. Lower level employees are rarely recognized for their contributions.

The office space is completely too much for the number of employees, but yet we're all crammed together into tight working groups, segregating different "teams." This is all in attempt to lease out space to other employees within Xerox - who has a very flexible work from home policy that of course, The Breakaway Group won’t “adopt.”

Advice to Management

- Push the Quick Reference Guides
    - Lower our price (I can't emphasize this enough)
    - Don't branch out to different markets – focus on one until you master it (we obviously haven’t)

A complete scrubbing of management is needed; this includes Human Resources, all the way down to Operations Managers. None of them are doing their job properly, or effectively, and are the root of the problems at The Breakaway Group. Do not limit the social media folks; this is your means to engagement and interaction.

Hire a full-time marketing person (or two). Your sales staff isn't making any head-way, so try a different tactic. (And cold-calls are not the right route to take).

I feel there is so much more that could be done to turn this company around. But I feel like, even if you were to read this, and take it to heart, you would never consider letting go of anyone that has any kind of leadership role, but this seriously needs to happen if you want the company to exist in 2 years.

"The company that puts the "cult" in culture"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer

I worked at The Breakaway Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Newer office space with great break rooms and lots of natural light.

Cons

I have a laundry list of items that are wrong with this company, but the previous 1- and 2-star ratings sum it up.
    For those reading this, PLEASE take these critical reviews seriously.

To the multimedia developer who posted a raving review in August 2014: Explain how your work or that of the company is helping to save lives. How many lives have you saved? I challenge you to provide an answer that isn't pre-scripted and fed to you by TBG.

Advice to Management

It is perfectly acceptable to trust and reward your employees. There is no need for brainwash them or instill fear of termination in order to get your team to ride the train.