The Breakers Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 14, 2019

3.9
Paul Leone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, work atmosphere and company culture" (in 13 reviews)

• "Had an amazing experience working with The Breakers team members" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Amazing family!"

Former Employee - Production Assistant
    Former Employee - Production Assistant

I worked at The Breakers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolute best company I’ve worked for. Nothing compares to the quality, benefits and family atmosphere. It will always be my favorite job and company. Once you work here, no where else will meet your expectations.

Cons

None! This company is amazing.

2. "Fun to work"

Former Employee - Assistant in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great entry level catering job

Cons

Pay is very low for a fancy hotel

Advice to Management

Nothing

3. "Reputable employer"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at The Breakers full-time

Pros

Reputable company to work for, quality training and oversight, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Significant decrease in overall pay to go from food and beverage sales (serving/bartending) to a management role

4. "Wonderful Company"

Former Employee - Golf Operations in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Golf Operations in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management
    Overall Company environment
    Business culture
    Benefits
    Really harbor an employee first mantra

Cons

pay is a little on the low side

Advice to Management

nothing really.

"A fantastic company with an amazing culture"

I have been working at The Breakers full-time

Pros

The Breakers has an amazing culture and truly cares about the well being of team members.

From the high energy all team meetings, to the newly built Team Member Fitness Studio, and annual Employee Opinion Survey, The Breakers Palm Beach puts their team members and the community first and.

It is truly an inspiring and beautiful place to work (the ocean view never gets old) where you will be surrounded by positive people who want to see you succeed, grow, and will offer the support to help you achieve your goals and realize your potentia

Cons

Compensation could be better in some departments

6. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Pool Attendant in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Pool Attendant in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great people.

Cons

It is almost impossible to work at the Breakers while going to college. Work/ Life balance is very difficult but that is expected in a hotel business.

7. "Great Team Environment"

I have been working at The Breakers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In all of my training, I have been supported and encouraged to push myself. I have never felt bad for asking a question. I know that I am taken seriously at my job and that my team believes in me.

Cons

The schedule does change every week, which can make it difficult to schedule the rest of your life.

8. "Pool and Beach Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management
    Great team environment
    More relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Dealing with difficult guests at times

9. "Excellent managment that invests in their employees"

I worked at The Breakers full-time

Pros

Great benefits, work atmosphere and company culture. Positive reinforcement and a sense of community among employees are big with the company.

Cons

Hourly wages are still on the low end for un-tipped positions. Not much else to complain about to be totally honest. One of the healthiest company cultures that I've ever worked amongst.

Advice to Management

At the time of my employment all was very well. I would perhaps have been interested to have a bit more interaction from the HR department during the hiring process. It could have been helpful to explore a wider range of position possibilities.

"A Great Place to Work in a One-of-a-Kind Location"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at The Breakers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've had the pleasure of working at the Breakers for almost 5 total years now, and while the jobs I've held have varied, the overall care for the employees has stayed constant. One huge benefit to working here is that they truly allow you to transfer within the hotel into new positions. Some companies say they offer career advancement but make it difficult to transfer, but I've been able to move into 3 different positions at this point and they just keep getting better. In my latest position especially, we are thanked during the busy times for working so hard with small bonuses or lunches, and every so often we have appreciation events as well for the staff. It means a lot because the jobs at the Breakers all involve working more quickly and efficiently than any job I've had before, but it ends up being so rewarding in the end. The pay is very competitive even for the Palm Beach area, and I absolutely love the people I work with. I actually enjoy what I do, which is incredible to be able to say.

Cons

A con about my first position was that the servers at the restaurant I worked in did a lot less work than the server assistants and expected so much of the assistants, while making a lot more money at the end of the night. I'm not sure if this is a hotel-wide occurrence, but for the off-property restaurant I was in, that's just how it was, and the managers didn't seem to mind. My advice would be to work hard as an FSA and try to transfer to become a server as soon as you can.

Another 'con' is that the training can be very intense. The Breakers does a fantastic job in all aspects of what they do and have very high expectations of their staff which is why they have such a great reputation. If you're not ready to work hard and go through a good amount of training to perfect your skills, it's probably not a company for you. Training has to be intense to constantly meet and exceed the standards the Breakers sets for itself though, it makes the hotel into the incredible vacation destination it is.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to keep a closer eye on each restaurant and department if possible. It's easy for things to slip through the cracks sometimes with so many moving parts and over 2,000 employees here in one spot. This comes mostly from my initial experience working in a restaurant off property, I have not had a similar problem in my current position.