The Breakers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Paul Leone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great Benefits, great team work" (in 11 reviews)

• "The team members that work at The Breakers are more then just co-workers, they are family" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expect a lot from their employees" (in 3 reviews)

• "Hours, management and no room for growth" (in 3 reviews)

"A Great Place to Work in a One-of-a-Kind Location"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at The Breakers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've had the pleasure of working at the Breakers for almost 5 total years now, and while the jobs I've held have varied, the overall care for the employees has stayed constant. One huge benefit to working here is that they truly allow you to transfer within the hotel into new positions. Some companies say they offer career advancement but make it difficult to transfer, but I've been able to move into 3 different positions at this point and they just keep getting better. In my latest position especially, we are thanked during the busy times for working so hard with small bonuses or lunches, and every so often we have appreciation events as well for the staff. It means a lot because the jobs at the Breakers all involve working more quickly and efficiently than any job I've had before, but it ends up being so rewarding in the end. The pay is very competitive even for the Palm Beach area, and I absolutely love the people I work with. I actually enjoy what I do, which is incredible to be able to say.

Cons

A con about my first position was that the servers at the restaurant I worked in did a lot less work than the server assistants and expected so much of the assistants, while making a lot more money at the end of the night. I'm not sure if this is a hotel-wide occurrence, but for the off-property restaurant I was in, that's just how it was, and the managers didn't seem to mind. My advice would be to work hard as an FSA and try to transfer to become a server as soon as you can.

Another 'con' is that the training can be very intense. The Breakers does a fantastic job in all aspects of what they do and have very high expectations of their staff which is why they have such a great reputation. If you're not ready to work hard and go through a good amount of training to perfect your skills, it's probably not a company for you. Training has to be intense to constantly meet and exceed the standards the Breakers sets for itself though, it makes the hotel into the incredible vacation destination it is.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to keep a closer eye on each restaurant and department if possible. It's easy for things to slip through the cracks sometimes with so many moving parts and over 2,000 employees here in one spot. This comes mostly from my initial experience working in a restaurant off property, I have not had a similar problem in my current position.

2. "Great company, poor work schedule"

Current Employee - SPA Consultant in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - SPA Consultant in Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at The Breakers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, amazing management team, fun co-workers, great benefits

Cons

24/7 hotel work schedule, work every weekend, night and holidays, pay is a little low for everything that we do

Advice to Management

The managers are amazing, they need a raise

3. "One of a kind"

Former Employee - Guest Relations Manager in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Relations Manager in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture- the most incredible culture has been created at The Breakers. It’s about team work, hard work but central theme is appreciation for each other and all its employees.

Cons

That there is only the one Breakers!

4. "Supervisor"

Pros

Great work environment and friendly atmosphere
    Good benefits

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement
    Differing schedule and ridiculous hours at times

"Banquet server"

I have been working at The Breakers full-time

Pros

The team unity is unlike any team I've ever been apart of. Everyone has each others backs and it is very evident with the quality of work that comes from it. From the GM, to the managers, to the dishwashers, everyone is one large unit. I truly love going to work each day.

Cons

Honestly, not one con I can think of! This is the first job I've ever had where I can say that truthfully!

"Unsatisfying work"

Current Employee - Manager in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at The Breakers (More than 3 years)

Pros

beautiful place to work, lots of opportunities for professional growth

Cons

clique-y, people have worked there for a very long time and are threatened by new talent,

7. "Towel Attendant"

I worked at The Breakers part-time

Pros

Great work environment, everyone works as a team

Cons

You need much energy throughout the day shifts. Working outside can get very uncomfortable.

8. "Coordinator"

I worked at The Breakers full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, great team work

Cons

Growth Opportunities are not equally present to everyone.

9. "Awful Experience. Not at all worth the experience."

Former Employee - Guest Services in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The gratuities from guests and the discounts on hotel stays.

Cons

The management at The Breakers is in need of a major overhaul. The level of apathy and condescension is very high, and the burden only ends up resting on the backs of other employees. The so-called "team members" are treated as disposable capital, regardless of the time invested with this company. Opportunities to grow are few and far between. Employees are expected to connect guests with resources outside their department, but management cannot even extend the same courtesy to their employees. A simple request (a payroll issue, for example) results in a massive game of cat and mouse, with management refusing to take responsibility for their own actions for fear of derailing their careers. The hiring and orientation process is one big facade, with the employment experience only going downhill from there.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your actions and treat you employees like they're human beings. If you agree to something, follow through. Don't make your employees feel like they cannot trust you to do the things you say and show them the respect they deserve. You are no better than the hardworking people you oversee, regardless of your job title.

10. "Incredible Company"

Former Employee - Guest Relations Coordinator in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Relations Coordinator in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such an incredible company to work for. I've worked at many different hotels and this is by far the best place I will ever work. It is truly a large group of people who care about their job, their coworkers, and their guests. Everyone is actually extremely competent, a rare feat for hotels. Super strong company culture that cares about the community and its people. I can not say enough good things about The Breakers.

Cons

The area is not a great area to live. Palm Beach is too expensive for a hospitality worker and West Palm Beach is on the up and up but still a trashy place to live.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on mentoring younger employees.