The Breakers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Paul Leone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, work atmosphere and company culture" (in 13 reviews)

• "Had an amazing experience working with The Breakers team members" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "it runs 20 hours a day- schedule can be all consuming- no work life balance" (in 4 reviews)

• "Expect a lot from their employees" (in 3 reviews)

1. "A fantastic company with an amazing culture"

I have been working at The Breakers full-time

Pros

The Breakers has an amazing culture and truly cares about the well being of team members.

From the high energy all team meetings, to the newly built Team Member Fitness Studio, and annual Employee Opinion Survey, The Breakers Palm Beach puts their team members and the community first and.

It is truly an inspiring and beautiful place to work (the ocean view never gets old) where you will be surrounded by positive people who want to see you succeed, grow, and will offer the support to help you achieve your goals and realize your potentia

Cons

Compensation could be better in some departments

2. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Pool Attendant in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Pool Attendant in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great people.

Cons

It is almost impossible to work at the Breakers while going to college. Work/ Life balance is very difficult but that is expected in a hotel business.

3. "Great Team Environment"

I have been working at The Breakers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In all of my training, I have been supported and encouraged to push myself. I have never felt bad for asking a question. I know that I am taken seriously at my job and that my team believes in me.

Cons

The schedule does change every week, which can make it difficult to schedule the rest of your life.

4. "Pool and Beach Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management
    Great team environment
    More relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Dealing with difficult guests at times

5. "Excellent managment that invests in their employees"

I worked at The Breakers full-time

Pros

Great benefits, work atmosphere and company culture. Positive reinforcement and a sense of community among employees are big with the company.

Cons

Hourly wages are still on the low end for un-tipped positions. Not much else to complain about to be totally honest. One of the healthiest company cultures that I've ever worked amongst.

Advice to Management

At the time of my employment all was very well. I would perhaps have been interested to have a bit more interaction from the HR department during the hiring process. It could have been helpful to explore a wider range of position possibilities.

"A Great Place to Work in a One-of-a-Kind Location"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at The Breakers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've had the pleasure of working at the Breakers for almost 5 total years now, and while the jobs I've held have varied, the overall care for the employees has stayed constant. One huge benefit to working here is that they truly allow you to transfer within the hotel into new positions. Some companies say they offer career advancement but make it difficult to transfer, but I've been able to move into 3 different positions at this point and they just keep getting better. In my latest position especially, we are thanked during the busy times for working so hard with small bonuses or lunches, and every so often we have appreciation events as well for the staff. It means a lot because the jobs at the Breakers all involve working more quickly and efficiently than any job I've had before, but it ends up being so rewarding in the end. The pay is very competitive even for the Palm Beach area, and I absolutely love the people I work with. I actually enjoy what I do, which is incredible to be able to say.

Cons

A con about my first position was that the servers at the restaurant I worked in did a lot less work than the server assistants and expected so much of the assistants, while making a lot more money at the end of the night. I'm not sure if this is a hotel-wide occurrence, but for the off-property restaurant I was in, that's just how it was, and the managers didn't seem to mind. My advice would be to work hard as an FSA and try to transfer to become a server as soon as you can.

Another 'con' is that the training can be very intense. The Breakers does a fantastic job in all aspects of what they do and have very high expectations of their staff which is why they have such a great reputation. If you're not ready to work hard and go through a good amount of training to perfect your skills, it's probably not a company for you. Training has to be intense to constantly meet and exceed the standards the Breakers sets for itself though, it makes the hotel into the incredible vacation destination it is.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to keep a closer eye on each restaurant and department if possible. It's easy for things to slip through the cracks sometimes with so many moving parts and over 2,000 employees here in one spot. This comes mostly from my initial experience working in a restaurant off property, I have not had a similar problem in my current position.

"Great company, poor work schedule"

Current Employee - SPA Consultant in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - SPA Consultant in Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at The Breakers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, amazing management team, fun co-workers, great benefits

Cons

24/7 hotel work schedule, work every weekend, night and holidays, pay is a little low for everything that we do

Advice to Management

The managers are amazing, they need a raise

8. "One of a kind"

Former Employee - Guest Relations Manager in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Relations Manager in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture- the most incredible culture has been created at The Breakers. It’s about team work, hard work but central theme is appreciation for each other and all its employees.

Cons

That there is only the one Breakers!

"Banquet server"

I have been working at The Breakers full-time

Pros

The team unity is unlike any team I've ever been apart of. Everyone has each others backs and it is very evident with the quality of work that comes from it. From the GM, to the managers, to the dishwashers, everyone is one large unit. I truly love going to work each day.

Cons

Honestly, not one con I can think of! This is the first job I've ever had where I can say that truthfully!

10. "Supervisor"

Pros

Great work environment and friendly atmosphere
    Good benefits

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement
    Differing schedule and ridiculous hours at times