KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated May 11, 2021

4.6
The Broad Institute Director 	Todd Golub
Todd Golub
Pros
  • "They were on the cutting edge of offering testing to employees (and scaled quickly to offer it to the greater community as well)(in 40 reviews)

• "wonderful and collaborative work environment, nice work-life balance(in 29 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Staff scientist career path not fully charted(in 15 reviews)

• "Career development requires (an unusual amount of) personal initiative(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Broad Institute and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Thoughtful, compassionate leadership and friendly, supportive co-workers and culture

Feb 28, 2021 - Research Associate II
      Business Outlook

Pros

has really stepped up support for on- and offsite employees in different ways during the COVID-19 pandemic; appears to be working hard and thoughtfully to delivery on goals related to racial diversity and equity in science; good career support through networking, programming, and trainings

Cons

when asked, HR mentioned that they view sharing salary ranges for specific titles as an unfair policy

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great experience

May 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Kind, dedicated employees - Culture of learning

Cons

- Lower market pay - Potential mentors are spread thin

3. 5.0

May 7, 2021 - Associate Computational Biologist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are friendly and open to collaboration

Cons

Feels like less than optimal work life boundaries but not everyone’s experience is like this

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Come for Research, leave because of HR

May 2, 2021 - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to learn and for your resume.

Cons

HR is the worst I ever dealt with. As long as you are working hard and making no waves, you are fine. The day you have an issue...oh boy. Personal story: my father was dying in my home country and I had to come back. He passed away, unfortunately. However, Covid was making things difficult to come back to the USA. One day after I buried my father, HR threatened me that now I had one month to find a way to be back in the country or I "will be forced to resign". Finding no way of going back to the country, I had to take a leave. HR deleted then my access to everything and I lost all my documents. Despite asking, they never allowed me to retrieve some important visa documents (emails, scans etc...) so I could finally be back in the USA. Back from the leave, they played dumb and continued to lock all the access to my Broad account, containing the visa information. They gave me a countdown to be back in the USA so I could work again, while pretending not understanding what documents I was asking for. Obviously, I couldn't get the authorization to go back and HR terminated me for "failure to be in Massachusetts" (as a reminder, I am a Software Engineer so I didn't need to be in Massachusetts to work). I was on my way to get promoted, so I suspect they didn't want an employee who just "lost his father" and they used the opportunity of covid to fire me. I have heard a lot of stories about threats to foreign people who were stuck in their home countries, so it was also probably a good way to downsize given covid while still communicating that they don't fire anybody during these tough times. And who can be heard when they are miles away from the workplace with all communication accesses locked? Smart, like Broad. Oh, and they will try to give you a generous package so we are not able to post anything bad in here. Which I have refused for the sake of truth and justice. My advice: Don't stay more than 2 years so you minimize risks of dealing with HR. If you have health issues, you are in trouble.

Continue reading
    5. 5.0

Great place to work!

Apr 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive managers and co-workers who are willing to go thr extra mile to help get work done. For the most part, thoughtful and accessible leadership. Great benefits.

Cons

Pace of work in covid has increased and burnout is real on the science and admin front. Not enough staff on our DEI work.

Continue reading
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Apr 20, 2021 - Director in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting science, early access to new techniques, lots of internal funding sources

Cons

Can be challenging to recruit and retain staff scientists when competing with area biotech

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Place to work

Apr 21, 2021 - Associate Director in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work, Great people, Smart People

Cons

Academic, Sometimes things are a little slow to come to fruition.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great

Apr 20, 2021 - Senior Research Administrator in Plano, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive culture and innovative work place.

Cons

None that i can think of.

9. 5.0

Best Job Ever

Apr 5, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

For any one who loves the academic atmosphere without the constant office politics of the corporate world, this is the place for you.

Cons

Work days can be very unstructured and your salary partly depends on annual Federal grants. So, those are elements of uncertainty.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Apr 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great science, flexibility, caring environment

Cons

Lower salary relative to similar positions in industry

Viewing 1 - 10 of 362 Reviews