The Buckle Reviews | Glassdoor

The Buckle President, CEO, and Director Dennis H. Nelson
Dennis H. Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can be very hard at times (in 37 reviews)

• Base salary was the minimum wage with ONLY 3% commission (in 36 reviews)

1. "Going downhill"

Former Employee - Area Manager
    Former Employee - Area Manager

I worked at The Buckle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Customer service focused, great discount, great benefits

Cons

Pay, environment, no growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Get with the times and really look at how you pay people. In the last year many people have left based upon the lack of pay and growth opportunities. This used to be the best retail company out there but unfortunately the executives of the company do not understand that they have to change and keep up with the times. I was with this company well over 10 years and it was sad to watch it go down hill the last couple of years. They stopped treating employees the way they should and in turn it is ruining a once great company.

2. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at The Buckle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, dress code, not many perks with job

Cons

Poor scheduling, management sucks, push to sell

3. "WORST JOB EVER"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at The Buckle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There really are no benefits to working for this awful company.

Cons

Pay, competitive atmosphere, bad management, LOL they check your purses when you leave... UHHH???

Advice to Management

I dont really think they can do anything. I got laid off at christmas due to budget cuts... at christmas??

4. "The Buckle"

I worked at The Buckle full-time

Pros

Good discount and training program for everyone

Cons

Pay is not very much

Advice to Management

Keep it up Tom Clifford, you're doing great!

5. "You can find better"

I have been working at The Buckle part-time

Pros

The discount is honestly the best part of this job, that's about it

Cons

Got hired on as full time but haven't worked a full 40 ever, I'm scheduled less than 15 hours a week.
    3% commission.... really? How do they expect people to live off that?
    Hours get cut if you're not shoving Buckle card down everyone's throat
    If you're not aggressively overbearing, this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

Higher the commission percentage, I promise you can afford it.

6. "Lost. Completely lost."

I worked at The Buckle full-time

Pros

Pay was competitive. That's all.

Cons

The marketing department is headed by staff who do not understand marketing. All is outsourced. The strategy is to wait for C-level micromanagement to direct all efforts, which mostly ignore online and brick & mortar customers.

Advice to Management

No wonder you are losing to your competition.

7. "Very untrustworthy company stay away"

Former Employee - MIT
    Former Employee - MIT

I worked at The Buckle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

40% discount that's about it. The clothes are terrible and the amount of work you put in is not worth the low pay.

Cons

Will work you to death and promise raises and promotions just to try and extend it when the time comes. They lie about pay and advancement opportunities to try and motivate you to work hard just to do you wrong in the end. They also stole around $800 from me in benefits. The clothes are also terrible.

Advice to Management

Learn how to keep your word to your hard working management staff or they will all walk out on you like I did.

"Corporate/ Merchandising 1-30 years Buckle gets their feelings hurt easily and doesn't take criticism well."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Kearney, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Kearney, NE

I have been working at The Buckle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've made really good friends and the 40% discount, when I use it....the benefits are good as well, offers pet insurance

Cons

Where do I begin. Management, communication, pay, favoritism.....for a company that quotes Jon Gordon all the time, they sure don't live those quotes.

Advice to Management

Management needs to manage. Be there for your employees and if you're away, let them know. Be personable with everyone, not just the ones you think are fun. People should be comfortable coming to you with issues. When they aren't or they just don't because they know the problem won't be resolved, that's an issue. I have never worked for a company and had people tell me NOT to go to my Department Head about a problem with my manager due to the fact that they are friends and the Department Head wouldn't do anything about it BECAUSE they are friends. It won't due any good because they won't listen. WHAT! You've got to be kidding me! This company was and could be so much better but friends are managing friends and are too worried about their friendships than the company so the Buckle suffers along with the people working there. This isn't good management, this is forgetting your mission and job. You shouldn't be there to make friends, you should be there to make Buckle better. I thought this job would be so fun but I was so wrong. Drama everywhere I turned and I can't tell you how many people I've seen leave due to mistreatment and low pay. I have seen people targeted and gradually pushed out because management was either threatened by them or they pushed back and questioned how things were handled. Instead of building people up, they will drag them down, pointing out all the negative and not taking the time to find the positive UNLESS they happen to be a favorite. Then they'll get a pass regardless of what they screwed up. Everybody has a bad day and to hold that against people and say, well you're being negative so we have to write you up. Now you can't move up in the company and Buckle has the option to not give you a raise and if they do, it can be small. This is the target they give to those who don't conform. Beware, once there it's not coming off and your best bet is finding another job.
    Buckle doesn't care if you have bills to pay, a family or medical issues, they'll kick you to the curb and replace you with someone they can pay less. Karma sucks and it will happen.

9. "Buckle Sales Assiocate"

Former Employee - Buckle Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Buckle Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at The Buckle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Discount 40% on everything

Cons

Little pay, Horrible 3% commission, Greedy coworkers who will shark you for sales, Too much pressure to make sales and get people to apply for a buckle credit card. Management sucks, too much drama on top of that HR doesn't seem to really care about its employees and always backs management. Left because it was too competitive worked too much for little pay

Advice to Management

Stop the pressure and make it fun again, No one wants to go to work stressed because they can't keep up with your demanding sales techniques

10. "Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Teammate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Teammate in Denver, CO

I worked at The Buckle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount for 40 percent - you get to see a lot of people on a daily basis, again clothing on discount

Cons

Takes a lot of time, energy and fake personality to pull of this job. Save your time and money and invest in any other career.

Advice to Management

None