The Buller Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "TBG Manager"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA

I have been working at The Buller Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best, smartest people to work with. Rob builds great teams!

Cons

Not many, maybe we all work too hard and too long on some projects, but there is always time ot relax with company sponsored happy hours.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing.

2. "Buller Group"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Reston, VA

I have been working at The Buller Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Rob hires top notch people and the team environment is great. Sometimes they take chances on more junior staff or other seasoned recruiters. Most of the time that works, but sometimes it doesn't just look at the review below with senior spelled incorrectly.

Cons

None really if you are a person who can self direct and work hard.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing; great culture and team. There will always be ding dongs that don't work out, get fired and write crappy reviews but you guys are awesome. I love our team! Pay is great and best company I have worked for.

"Complete waste of time"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Reston, VA

I worked at The Buller Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm struggling to find a pro to working there. Maybe the fact that the hours are very flexible? That's about it.

Cons

Chances are they will skip paying you for a few payrolls, and the CEO will try to make it seem like that's totally normal since they are in financial trouble. When you ask to get paid for the work that you've done, management will deny that they owe you any money. This isn't a one time thing, they actually have a history of not paying their employees.

The contracts they work on are terrible and the CEO has no clue how to run a business.

Advice to Management

The CEO should stop posting fake positive reviews, they are completely false. Treat and pay your recruiters fairly.

"Disappointing experience!"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Reston, VA

Pros

The Buller Group offers the most laid back, hands-off environment I have ever been a part of. There is minimal if any micromanagement which benefits some depending on your ideal management style. Jay is awesome, is very down to earth and deserves a much better opportunity than TBG. Unlimited vacation and plenty of opportunity for tele-work. And yes, Rob is rarely in the office on Fridays.

Cons

Where to begin.. At TBG as stated in a previous review there is no on-boarding what so ever, so if you are not used to coming in and immediately getting to work from scratch it will not work out for you. The company has had an enormous amount of turnover over the past few years due to the sequester as well as internal conflicts (financial). To date there is no designated HR department (everything goes through Rob). It is essentially a 2 to 5 man shop depending on whether they have recruiters or not. The last and biggest issue with TBG is the fact that as stated in another review, you may not be paid on time or at all for that matter due to internal financial issues.

Advice to Management

Create an on-boarding program for recruiters so they have clear methods and guidelines to recruit effectively. Go after the best business, just because they offer you the best margins does not necessarily mean it is the best business for your firm at that time. Train recruiters to do BD so that it isn't just one person going after a ton of business. Obtain more contracts for recruiters to work on so they don't get burned out. Lastly, be honest and transparent with your recruiters. Without transparency there will be no progress.

5. "Working for The Buller Group, LLC, has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life time."

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Reston, VA

I have been working at The Buller Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most employees are esseentially performing roles as individual consultants and highly proficient with their knowledge they are utilizing for their client(s).

Cons

No cons. The Buller Group, LLC is THE MOST ethical company I have ever had the pleasure of working with...

Advice to Management

Your team is incredibly knowledgeable; keep following your passions and never look back! TBG IS A "PLATINUM" employer.

"Surreal work environment/ HIGHLY questionable decision-making"

Pros

"hands off" management style ideal if you are comfortable going 3 days in a row without doing any actual work. Compensation package more comprehensive than competition.

Cons

Invests money in 3D TV and recruiting toys rather than incentive programs for employees. Seems more concerned with giving appearance of success than actually attracting clients and fostering success. Releases deceptive press releases (see "The Buller Group, LLC Successfully Recruits Its 3000th Polygraph Candidate"). Nonexistent employee on-boarding program, meaningless meetings that get in the way of productive work, and huge pay disparity between Jr. and Sr. employees (in addition to lacrosse & non-lacrosse employees)...

Advice to Management

Create onboarding for employees, focus on BD, Don't put all your eggs in one basket (subcontracting for highly competitive contract). Create career progression plans with employees to reduce turnover. Also, warn employees if mass lay-offs are coming so they aren't caught blindsided...

"This company takes eb and flow to the max.."

I have been working at The Buller Group full-time

Pros

flexible time
    hands off management style
    team building perks
    time off
    Work with mainly very smart/capable people
    Start up feel/ exciting

Cons

total lack of mentorship
    high school mentality
    Expect a very high level of commitment to the job and the company
    It seems that most decision makers aren't thinking about the ramifications of their promises
    instability
    Lack of diversity - cliques

Advice to Management

Get someone in there who actually knows the intel world/ defense market and nuances.
    Be realistic about opportunities.
    Have an on-boarding process that's more comprehensive.
    Start a mentoring program from day one
    Teach employees HOW to mentor, and why it's important.
    Do performance reviews, or give some sort of critical feedback.
    Be careful about the company culture change... extreme productivity is not the only thing to consider.
    Try not to be so obvious about your favoritism of lacrosse players, it alienates the rest of your staff

8. "Working for The Buller Group has been a rewarding experience."

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Working for The Buller Group has taught me how a company should treat their employees. We are respected and rewarded for the hard work we do on a daily basis. Management is always open to employee thoughts and suggestions.

Cons

I have not experienced a downside of working with the Buller Group. My experience has only been a positive one.

Advice to Management

The advice I have for leadership is to continue running the company how it has been run. Management has done a great job and continue to promote growth and leadership in their employees.

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Assisting Military Operations in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Assisting Military Operations in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at The Buller Group (More than a year)

Pros

- You get paid.
    - You get what healthcare benefits they offer

Cons

- They will low-ball you in pay for a position in Afghanistan
    - Horrible communication
    - The company consists of liars, the job was a contract job, yet I was later told it was full-time after nearly 9 months in theatre
    - After a year in Afghanistan, I never once was given the contact information for their supposed Career Transitions Division
    - The company's headquarters in VA will make sure you get to theatre, but they could care less about you once you are there....you will get paid, but their mentality is "Out of sight, out of mind."
    - After my year was complete, I never once had the impression that this company valued the work I did for them
    - This company could care less about my opinions once I expressed my dissatisfaction with their practices

Advice to Management

I am guessing all of those 'raters' who gave this company high-marks are the suits and sycophants running around at the main headquarters in VA. For those of you who fit this image, you have a lot of work to do, but I doubt any of you even want to improve or care for that matter.

10. "One of only a handful of jobs where I actually enjoy getting up in the morning looking to everything I can accomplish."

Pros

Very Smart people - Best and the Brightest
    Leadership knows what they're doing. Very creative and aggressive in challenging the market with a unique value offering.
    Great place to work. Fun and vibrant
    Great benefits, comp and professional development for a relatively small firm

Cons

Nothing negative. Small firms that are successful like Buller Group go through growing pains like every company. Such hiccups, don't seem to get in the way of our teams being able to perform and deliver at high levels.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your eye on where the business is going.