The Cambridge Institute of International Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Christine Lin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You will meet some great people (in 9 reviews)

• There are a few great coworkers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm not sure why owners and upper management are so reluctant to learn from past mistakes but then are surprised when the same issues are still there (in 13 reviews)

• reflects the entire business side of The Cambridge Institute of International Education (aka The (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great people to work with, but disorganized management"

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time

Pros

Coworkers were all great people

Cons

Constant change and lack of communication on strategy as well as transparency across global offices

Advice to Management

make better investments and hire more HR to improve talent acquisition

"Laid off after one year"

Former Employee - SSC in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - SSC in Orange, CA

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful students and families to work with.

Cons

Redundancies in processes, difficult to keep promises to clients.

"Please, continue your job search and do not accept a job here!"

Pros

I have made some great friends here! This is really the only pro I can think of about this company.

Cons

Where to begin....
    I have worked for this company for about a year, and since day one I fear for the safety of my job
    After one week of having a "town hall meeting" titled "Happy Customers and Happy Employees" they laid off more than 30 people!!!!
    The owner is a Chinese millionaire "playing office" with the lives of hundreds of people. They hire and lay off people like it's a big try and error kind of game
    There is absolutely NO structure. Every region does their own thing and your job will depend on who your direct manager is. Good luck on getting one that is not so bad.
    Speaking of middle management, what a joke!!!! These poor people have no idea what they are doing. It's a combination of lack of leadership and experience, with very little direction they receive from their directors.
    The lies. Oh the lies!!! You will have to lie to the students and the schools VERY often. There is always a new policy that no one has ever heard about.

Advice to Management

People have lives! They have families and they have commitments. Also, when you have your next re-structure (because it will happen) do not call the hard working folks that you just laid off "cancer". If you have to keep on restructuring your company every year.... Perhaps the cancer is the people up top!!

"Marketing- Program Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independent working environment

Cons

Company/ boss only watching the result without any support

"Wonderful Organization"

Pros

I believe Cambridge to be an exceptional and wonderful organization. Christine takes the time and makes the effort to keep all of us informed. The effort she puts in with communication is just astounding.
    I have never worked anywhere in which there is so much energy given to employee well-being and satisfaction.

Besides that, her commitment to excellence is second to none. I love it!
    Always striving for improvement, for better ways, for the BEST!
    I am truly proud to have been a part of such an organization.

Lastly, but not least, are the extraordinary people that make up the  Cambridge family. From Christine as our president and fearless leader to every employee I have dealt with throughout my time at Cambridge, I have had positive, caring, helpful, efficient and effective communication and relationship. The folks hired here are professional, competent, but also compassionate. It has been my joy working with each and every one.

I love the mission of Cambridge, I love the heart of the organization, I love its standard of excellence, and of course its marvelous people.

Thank you so very, very much for giving me the opportunity to be a part of such a great organization.
    I give it a solid “8” and do recommend it to others as a place you really want to work!

I know I will continue to hear of CIIE’s success in the days to come.

Wishing you all the BEST of the BEST in every future endeavor.

Cons

There are at times too much “fluff” during meeting times, with rather vague information. However I understand that it is to boost company morale, but if things could be more specific that would be great.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing great things!

"Negative experience"

Former Employee - Assistant
    Former Employee - Assistant

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

It was the worst couple months of my life. It's like working as if a day laborer - you never know if you will have work the following day, however, you have to come to this conclusion yourself because it pretends to be a normal corporate office, but it isn't - not in the slightest bit.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility. Apologize to all the people you have treated unfairly. Understand people's' careers have been tarnished because of this bait and switch company.

"Great Coworkers CEOs "vision" is questionable"

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time

Pros

great coworkers, fun job, daily challenges

Cons

low salary, CEO doesn't respect or listen to others

"Lots of experience, bad for longterm life work balance"

I have been working at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The coworkers in the West Office are very supportive and want to help you succeed. They work hard to assist you and will fully do their best for you if you show that you are working hard as well and are willing to reciprocate their efforts
    - You gain lots of experience in a very short time. A few months here feels like years worth of experience
    - Flexible schedule, can work from remotely sometimes

Cons

- Lay offs where they remove talented, dedicated people without trying to place them in a new position, then breaking up the position that they could have worked for into small, part time positions
    - work/life balance can be challenging
    - inconsistent hours
    - Health insurance sucks, you have to pay $4000 out of pocket before it covers anything

Advice to Management

Show more loyalty to your current employees. Layoffs ruin moral.

SSCs deal with student issues. Having to request for overtime IN ADVANCE means that its very difficult for SSCs to handle student issues as they pop up, and overall implies that the customer service ability will decrease. Since the goal is to improve customer service, something should be done to allow SSCs to have more flexibility to work emergencies and still get compensated. Currently SSCs face the choice of asking for overtime and getting denied and having the student be disappointed by customer service, asking for overtime and getting guilt tripped about asking for it to handle an issue, or handling the issue and not reporting it and not getting paid for their efforts.

"Student services"

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time

Pros

Smart, educated co-workers who make this place not hell

Cons

Upper management are awful people. Lots of favoritism. Racism, etc.

Advice to Management

Quit.

"Do not put yourself through this."

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education (More than a year)

Pros

I met some decent people before they quit/got fired. I literally cannot think of 20 words to fill up this section.

Cons

Senior management is completely devoid of ethics, morals, empathy, compassion, etc. Racism seeps into business practices, regardless of how much they deny it. The company has undergone three (3) restructures in two years. Yikes. During the last restructure, most of us were hoping to be laid off just to be freed from this godforsaken place.
    Working from home is allowed, for some employees. The others are guilted into reporting to an aggressively depressing office because they pay rent on the space, so it better be put to use. The office vibes give everyone anxiety.
    The company is in such disarray, they need to just dissolve already.
    They forced us to use a home-grown database that barely functions on a good day. On a bad day, it will wipe random information with no trace that it has been wiped. The "developers" are friends of the owners of Cambridge so clearly everyone in the company needs to suffer through an awful system because the owners made a deal.

Advice to Management

It's too late now, but your biggest mistake was implementing a homegrown database (Harmony) and launching it years before it was anywhere near ready for use. It cannot reliably or accurately retain data and information. The hurdles cause employees to waste countless valuable hours trying to work out the kinks.