The Campus Special Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen
Chau Nguyen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A trip to Chicago for the paid training, nice hotel, good food (in 16 reviews)

• Training conference in Chicago was a great experience and really helped set the stage for the rest of the summer (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No matter how they put it to you all it is door to door sales (in 8 reviews)

• Rigid internship structure (set number of weeks/hours), no base compensation for newer, tougher markets (in 10 reviews)

1. "Account executive"

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

If you make a lot of sales, weekly and monthly bonuses on top of commissions can potentially be a lot of money for a summer gig.

Cons

No base salary; you only make money when you make a sale.
    Value of the products you're selling is not as great as they talk it up to be at the training convention.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing on sales as a numbers game, hire less interns, with a greater focus on creating great value for selected clients

2. "Not a Great Place to work"

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

Hardworking people and great regional sales managers! However I did get great experience and things to talk about in next job interviews.

Cons

They overwork you and take advantage of college students, with a subpar product. They overworked our regional managers as well, with some of them pulling 14 hour days in the summer.

Advice to Management

Needs LOTS of improvement, cut the sales speak with your employees and be real with us, and treat your full time employees better as well.

"Never"

Pros

Meet a lot of people

Cons

Make no money, spend the little money you do on gas, commission only, I one wants the product, expensive

Advice to Management

Move on

"Former Account Exec intern"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Athens, OH
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Athens, OH

I worked at The Campus Special (More than a year)

Pros

Interactive managers to help through the process.

Cons

Strictly commission.
    Vague training.
    I made only about $100 dollars the entire internship. Yes some people may have made a lot more but the area I was selling to consisted of very small, local business owners who wanted nothing to do with a large advertising company. Those who had worked with Campus Special in the past did not have that great of things to say about the outcome of purchasing advertisement space. Campus Special didn't understand that every university is different. My university culture was rural and small.

Advice to Management

Base pay for incentive

"Do your research."

Former Employee - Intern in Prairie View, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Prairie View, TX

Pros

It is an opportunity to get direct marketing and sales experience. Participants also learn to develop people skills, talking points, effective pitches, confidence boosting, perseverance, and goal setting.

Cons

If you are in a new market, this can be very difficult. Campus Special seems to do little research on the market. Wear and tear on your car if you are in a large sales area. Very low compensation for the time and effort. No base pay. No personal contact with managers. Meetings are by phone. If you don't meet close to 10k, your market will be scrapped and you have nothing to show for your work. Better off getting an unpaid 20hr internship and a part-time job.

Advice to Management

Managers should encourage honesty. They should also be forthcoming and maintain a level of trust with their interns. Should help interns meet realistic sales goals daily.

6. "Bad Experience"

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

Fun conference in Chicago, met a lot of nice people. The CEO is a really great guy that seems to want you to succeed.

Cons

Tough work. They hire three or four interns because they know that the majority will quite. My supervisor didn't seem to care about any of my coworkers. Out of the four people I worked with only 1 stood after 3 weeks.

Advice to Management

Make sure you hire supervisors that actually want their interns to succeed.

"No More Campus Special"

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I got to work with were awesome

Cons

Chegg bought out Campus Special not too long ago and I guess they realized how bad/manipulative this company really is because they have closed down Campus Special so the company is no longer! I can't say that I am surprised...that is what you get when you over work and under pay people. I will miss the employees at CS but that is the only positive I can say about the company.

Advice to Management

In your next career, please don't take advantage and lie of young students who are looking for internships/careers.

"DO NOT DO THIS INTERNSHIP"

Former Employee - Intern in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Denton, TX

I worked at The Campus Special (Less than a year)

Pros

none, none, none, none, none

Cons

manager was fake and picked favorites, was in a terrible market where they expected amazing sales, was lied to multiple times, only made one sale after 3 weeks, phone calls were pointless and a waste of time, wasted countless gallons of gas

Advice to Management

STOP LYING TO COLLEGE STUDENTS

"Former Intern"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

I really can't think of any pros for this company except that you are forced out of your comfort zone.

Cons

After putting in about a month of full-time work with no pay, I eventually came to realize that the Campus Special is a joke. They use a lot of manipulation tactics to motivate you and get you work a crazy amount of hours for almost nothing. The fact that they are utilizing a business models that relies almost solely on interns is genius actually. The average intern makes about 2500 over a 12 week period, working full-time. There is no adult human being who would take on a job like that. Avg 2500/480 hours of work= 5.20 an hour. They no that only naive college students could be sold on such a little amount of money for extremely hard work and it clearly works for them. STAY AWAY. We had Facebook pages of my fellow summer 14 interns that said that people were doing work and weren't even getting paid and if they got paid it was never on a timely basis.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed of yourselves for basically using manipulation tactics to motivate young kids to do your dirty work for you for almost no pay.

"Costs you more to work here than what you get paid"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Trip to Chicago for training
    Learn how to cold-call
    Can basically make your own hours because sales manager lives in Atlanta

Cons

The amount of money you'll spend on gas is unreal and there is no compensation
    They expect you to go to 30 businesses a day, but majority of the time business owners aren't in so you never really get to meet with the actual owner
    The product you sell isn't worth the amount they're trying to get you to sell it for.
    It's all trickery, the product really is not that great
    They don't give you adequate training to effectively sell

Advice to Management

Have sales managers actually in the city
    STOP TRICKING COLLEGE STUDENTS INTO THINKING THIS IS A GOOD INTERNSHIP