The Campus Special Reviews | Glassdoor

The Campus Special Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen
Chau Nguyen

Pros
  • A trip to Chicago for the paid training, nice hotel, good food (in 16 reviews)

• Training conference in Chicago was a great experience and really helped set the stage for the rest of the summer (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No matter how they put it to you all it is door to door sales (in 8 reviews)

• Rigid internship structure (set number of weeks/hours), no base compensation for newer, tougher markets (in 10 reviews)

1. "Good experience"

Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Added a lot of customer service experience to my resume, and has been very beneficial for interviews that I'm currently going through.

Cons

You are expected to work overtime to get things done, but at an hourly pay with time-and-a-half after 40 hours it's really not that bad

2. "Account executive"

Former Intern - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot of hands on sales experience, and if you're interested in sales this will be perfect for you.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, too expensive to sell, and all commissions based.

Advice to Management

Have a set amount that the intern would make and also any bonus based on performance.

3. "Intern Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot, really taught me the importance of being self-motivated. Literally long hours but only way to get sales was to work above and beyond 9 to 5.

Cons

Almost no work-life balance, they put you in markets that are super hard to sell to (like Pittsburgh) and honestly you barely make any money.

5. "Account Executive"

Former Intern - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The experience is extremely challenging but rewarding. You gain invaluable knowledge about outside sales, sales tactics, dealing with rejection, and how to build relationships.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, managers play favorites when giving out accounts, salary is straight commission

"Account Executive"

Former Intern - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This was one of the most miserable jobs I have ever done, but it changed my life forever. If you can survive a summer as a CS account executive, you can survive anything. Employers LOVE CS and you will never be short of things to talk about in an interview.

Cons

Horrible work life balance, the demands and quotas are VERY HIGH and they brain wash you to think that what matters is the career partners program and how that will determine your whole future. This is not true! What you learn will change your life, not the career partners program. I was a top sales person, but I did not even break even with my housing expenses. Don't let them tell u u will make a ton of cash, i was a great account executive, but its only 10% commission of every sale, so basically you are making them a ton of money and nothing for you.

Advice to Management

-Less Brain Washy
    -provide future phone numbers so we can use our old managers as references.
    -have a few days off in the summer, or even a week off in the middle. This job simply takes so much time out of you, there needs to be more time to re-charge.
    -Become more paperless, so people can e-mail in contracts
    -go to post office on mondays, not saturday having to go to the post office very saturday is a pain!

7. "Account Executive"

Former Intern - Account Executive in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, career partners for after graduation if you do well

Cons

Long hours, not much free time

"Internship Overview"

Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL

I have been working at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AMAZING AMAZING SUPPORT SYSTEM from your managers however your success is based NOT ONLY on effort but also on the city in which you are operating. In my experience, working on a team of 5 there were only 3 sales in the first 3 weeks, 2 of which were to renewal accounts. It is extremely difficult to work in a city where the product you are selling does not really work.

The career opportunities are amazing if you are working in the right area.

Cons

FOR THE WORK YOU ARE DOING THE PAY IS AWFUL, the amount of work that must be done outside of the 9-5 is extremely high

Advice to Management

there needs to be an adjustment to how the interns are paid...

"Great real world experience and taught me a lot about the business to business sales process."

Former Intern - Account Executive in Fayetteville, AR
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Fayetteville, AR

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Applicable experience to a career in sales
    -teaches you to deal with rejection
    -Great management and support, if you need anything or help with a client the managers are there for you

Cons

long hours and very hard work you must be organized and have great time management skills in order to be successful

Advice to Management

Consider having managers present in the actual market during the summer

"Hard work, long hours, good internship experience, high highs, low lows."

Former Intern - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

-Learned a lot about my self.
    -The conference based in Chicago was amazing. They taught us everything we needed to know about sales and the product, it was very helpful.
    -Learned how to time manage, prioritize, and learned the basics of sales.
    -Everyday was different and I was faced with new challenges which kept it exciting.

Cons

-DOOR TO DOOR SALES ALL DAY EVERYDAY.
    -Way too much work for little pay.
    -The company would acknowledge reaching your goal for 1 minute then keep pushing you to sell more.
    -All conversations with manager are over the phone because they are based in Atlanta.
    -The Campus Special does not work in Chicago! It has been very successful at state schools where the main source of revenue for some businesses are the Campus Special coupons. But in Chicago this is simply not the case. People at my school don't use these coupons. This made me feel really bad about the business owners who I sold to because they were excited to get a return on investment and never did.

"Fast growing but may be going a little too fast to be successful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

Pros

Laid back work environment and definitely has a lot of potential. The company growth has been very steady up to this point.

Cons

Upper level management does not direct or train lower levels so everyone is confused. Communication and pay are both poor and upper level management is very micro managerial, making employees feel untrusted and unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the here and now, less on the future. The future will never come if the here and now doesn't get corrected.