The Campus Special Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen
Chau Nguyen

Pros
  • A trip to Chicago for the paid training, nice hotel, good food (in 16 reviews)

• Training conference in Chicago was a great experience and really helped set the stage for the rest of the summer (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No matter how they put it to you all it is door to door sales (in 8 reviews)

• Rigid internship structure (set number of weeks/hours), no base compensation for newer, tougher markets (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great People, Terrible Internship"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative team, always pushing you to go the distance and not give up, to a fault in my opinion

Cons

They basically exploit college students for labor. They made you an independent contractor so that they had less tax paying obligation.

Advice to Management

Compensate your interns fairly, this was incredibly hard and to feel like you arent getting rewarded for your work is not pleasant.

"Loved it!"

Former Intern - Event Marketing Manager in Athens, GA
    Former Intern - Event Marketing Manager in Athens, GA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

At times there can be long hours

Advice to Management

Keep it going!

"Amazing learning experience"

Current Intern - Account Executive in Auburn, AL
    Current Intern - Account Executive in Auburn, AL

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Best thing I could have possibly done for my future career. Taught me so much about sales and about myself.

Cons

Extremely challenging. Long hours if you want to be successful.

"Best opportunity out there!"

Former Intern - Account Executive in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands down the best thing I have ever done to prepare myself for the workforce. I would strongly recommend this internship to anyone interested in the business field or anyone wanting to boost their resume. I did this internship this past summer and since then I haven't met a single recruiter that hasn't been blown away by all of the quantitative results I have to show. My manager this past year was amazing. I called her anytime I needed some help making a pitch, designing a marketing plan for a company, or just a morale boost. Great support all around and truly great quality people working at this company. I definitely grew as a person from doing this internship. I've developed self confidence and tenacity that distinguishes me from my peers. The training conference in Chicago is awesome! Great key note speakers, A LOT of learning, and a lot of networking and new friends. I would say definitely do this internship. It's tough, but so extremely rewarding.

Cons

This is an internship that you get out of what you put in. It's very tiring at times and certainly demanding. Managers expect you to come out EVERY DAY and give it your best and to make every opportunity a learning experience. If you're someone that typically does something half-way and expects results, keep looking.

"Challenging and Rewarding!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Duluth, MN

I have been working at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will be pushed to your absolute limits, but there truly is no better way to grow and find yourself. I had no idea what I wanted to do and this opened up so many doors for me. You will meet so many amazing people and form bonds with people that will be very beneficial to your future.

Cons

It's a lot of work. You have to be willing to go the extra mile and really step out of your comfort zone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great career opportunities"

Former Intern - Account Executive in Huntington, WV
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Huntington, WV

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was very happy with my internship with Campus Special. During the summer of my internship, I evolved to become a better worker. I was selected to travel to multiple markets to raise that markets value and the company paid for all traveling expenses. Management was awesome and supported me through all the highs and lows. The internship also opened many opportunities after graduation. Their career partners begin to recruit you almost immediately after the internship is over. If you have the opportunity to work Campus Special, you MUST do it!

Cons

The hours are very long. If you do not have the discipline to concentrate on the task at hand, this internship is not for you. The job requires time and great deal of hard work. Also, the compensation is not the greatest unless you are making a high level of sales. They have a bonus program that is attainable, but you have got to work hard. If you can manage living on $200 and up income per week, you will be alright. If not, consider saving money up before the start of the internship.

"Best internship"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Mobile, AL

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-B2B experience
    -Expert training
    -Reliable managers
    -Support
    -Networking

Cons

-Commission based pay
    -Bad weeks result in $0 in pay, but still overwhelming gas expenses

Advice to Management

-Instruct account executive interns to ensure they have money set to the side specifically for gas and bills so that when a bad week or two rolls around, their bills will still get paid.

"I was an intern at Campus Special for Fall of 2014"

Former Intern - Account Executive in Irvine, CA
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-The company has a solid product that has potential to be very successful. Not too long ago, they acquired by Chegg, meaning they had a large expansion with access to more resources and a larger brand.
    -The management is supportive, and all of the college interns have opportunity to speak with almost anyone at the company. The management is all very flexible, understanding, and supportive of their interns. I spoke to the CEO and other high-profile employees on a regular basis. They were all very down to earth and willing to communicate withe everyone. Working here was a valuable experience, because the employees made interns feel wanted and needed.
    -This internship got me a job right out of college.
    -It's all commission-based, so if you're a high performer, you'll get high pay.

Cons

-The product is very reliant upon a network effect. Essentially, the product sells itself if Campus Special (now Chegg Deals) has an established market presence. The region I worked in only had Campus Special for one year. This made our product fairly weak, and nobody wanted to purchase ad space in a coupon book which is used sparingly. However, some regions have had an established Campus Special presence for years, so the product practically sold itself. Your success is highly dependent on your skills, but sometimes luck plays a large factor. If you have a newer market, you'll struggle.
    -Sometimes you'll take a step back from work and say, "What am I doing today?" It's easy to get lost in your work when you have so much freedom. If you're not micromanaged, it's easy to slack off, and you won't always be held accountable (This is NOT a good thing. Don't take this as an excuse to slack off, because it will hurt your numbers). This job is only for people who can manage their time wisely and work off of self-motivation. I was in a team of four people, and the other three quit. This job will weed out the weak.
    -The job provides connections to career partners for future employment, but not all of them are great. Some of them are scummy salesmen, so make sure you can tell good from bad. Some of the career partners are solid though.
    -It's all commission-based, so if you're a poor performer, you'll get low pay.

Advice to Management

Despite some of the cons, this job left me with a net positive experience, almost primarily due to excellent management. My regional sales manager was incredibly helpful and was incredibly flexible to my needs. She backed off when I needed space to grow on my own, and she micromanaged me when I was clueless and needed some hand-holding. Honestly, I think I had it too good. My advice would be for RSMs to be stricter on their account executives. Hammer down on the mistakes and really illustrate that there are consequences for performing well. Too many interns were slackers.

"Hard, but exclusive benefits"

Current Intern - Account Executive in Norman, OK
    Current Intern - Account Executive in Norman, OK

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

- IF you work your butt off, you can make a decent chunk of change
    - You learn to talk to anyone, you're expected to, at minimum talk to 30 people a day. I did significantly more than the minimum, but even the minimum gives you huge exposure to different situations, and to personal communication.
    - Training Conference
    - Hands on experience
    - You exit the internship incredibly confident
    - Your manager is a coach and mentor for more than just the internship, you call them a million times a day, they become vested in your success after the internship.

Cons

- Long hours, you're giving up your summer
    - You have to motivate you. Your Manager is not there.
    - 10% commission (not including bonuses) is your only form of income. If you slack off it only hurts you.

"Unparalleled entry level experience, amazing company"

Former Intern - Account Executive in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The Campus Special ( soon to be Chegg deals) offered me a full time summer internship heading into my Junior year. Every college student attains an internship to learn more about their field or gain a skill to help them in their career, this summer did both for me in more ways than I could even imagine, and ways I have yet to even grasp. The Career partners benefit is an amazing plus, knowing that post college your resume is at the hands of employers is a very empowering feeling. The internship is recommended to all majors and I truly believe that experience in selling is crucial for developing interpersonal skills, and that is a MUST no matter what career path you find your self on. Young, goal oriented, drive to be the best business students will thrive in this environment. I have yet to graduate so I haven't had career partners contact me yet, but that has had no bearing on taking the next step professionally. The way that I learned to speak and leverage my experiences has helped me grow professionally and personally. Employers LOVE the experience when you explain the internship to them. My current job I attained through working with a business during Campus Special, I have four offers for companies for next summers internships and jobs simply by applying the skills I learned to the interviewing process. Get the picture? Campus Special internship= Jobs, internships & more importantly killer interpersonal skill attainment.

Cons

I never considered this a con, but to truly be successful, you must eat breathe sleep Campus Special. I sacrificed one summer, around three months and it has already paid its weight in gold for continuing my career. A lot of people simply do not have what it takes to stick it out through the summer, this Internship is not for the faint of heart, It is trying and very difficult at times BUT you always have the entire company in your corner. Your manager, his boss, and even the CEO are there for you constantly. They want you to succeed just as bad as you want to, ask questions, ask for help, keep your head up and maintain a positive attitude.

Advice to Management

Only thing I could ask is that the training conference include more role playing scenarios. I cant ask for much, this internship has paved the way for future success.