The Campus Special Reviews | Glassdoor

The Campus Special Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A trip to Chicago for the paid training, nice hotel, good food (in 16 reviews)

• Training conference in Chicago was a great experience and really helped set the stage for the rest of the summer (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No matter how they put it to you all it is door to door sales (in 8 reviews)

• Rigid internship structure (set number of weeks/hours), no base compensation for newer, tougher markets (in 10 reviews)

"Bad experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Toledo, OH

Pros

Personal growth, career partners, Chicago conference

Cons

Awful compensation. Your market ultimately determines your pay. A TON of work. Often worked 60 hours weekly.

Advice to Management

Provide a base salary with commission.

"Campus Special"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Campus Special (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience for any person in any fiels

Cons

Very hard and long hours

"Challenging and Rewarding!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Duluth, MN

I have been working at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will be pushed to your absolute limits, but there truly is no better way to grow and find yourself. I had no idea what I wanted to do and this opened up so many doors for me. You will meet so many amazing people and form bonds with people that will be very beneficial to your future.

Cons

It's a lot of work. You have to be willing to go the extra mile and really step out of your comfort zone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Best internship"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Mobile, AL

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-B2B experience
    -Expert training
    -Reliable managers
    -Support
    -Networking

Cons

-Commission based pay
    -Bad weeks result in $0 in pay, but still overwhelming gas expenses

Advice to Management

-Instruct account executive interns to ensure they have money set to the side specifically for gas and bills so that when a bad week or two rolls around, their bills will still get paid.

"BEWARE before you work here."

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is great amazing young people with drive and enthusiasm.. until they take it away form you

Cons

MICROMANAGED. They listen to your phone calls and stalk your computer treating you like a child. everything is scripted you cannot even think for yourself. SUMMER HOURS 8:00-UNTIL usually no lunch break your in jail chained to your desk on the phone. If you get up for even a few minutes upper management wants to know where you are. You are promised tons of commission and WILL NEVER see it they find every reason to withhold it. Unobtainable sales goals they will lie and claim can be hit. No opportunity to grow there is literally no opportunity when I was told there was. All lies.

Advice to Management

back off you hired everyone there because of their ability and talent let them do their job... not everything needs a script, meeting or talk

6. "Awesome experience, very fun atmosphere, had a lot of freedom!"

Former Employee - Event Marketing Manager in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Event Marketing Manager in Newark, DE

I worked at The Campus Special part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to talk to people all of the time, was in charge of making everyone's schedules, got to work with friends. It was a very laid back and easy going position. Had an awesome boss, he was easy to get a hold of when necessary.

Cons

Worked during the winter season so it was freezing!! It was always very very cold. Did not receive much feedback during the process.

Advice to Management

When it is too cold, send an email to the team to take the day off. Give feedback during the process. Also, applied for another job and never heard anything back from anyone although I was informed I did an excellent job with my work.

"The Campus Special can be a great experience but can also be a nightmare."

Current Employee - Account Executive Intern in Carbondale, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive Intern in Carbondale, IL

I have been working at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The all expenses conference- It really makes you feel like a young professional instead of a college student. It is a great place to network with career partners (this year they added a career fair) and other students across the country. Overall a really cool experience.

2. Some aspects of the company culture are really cool. Your managers are very reachable and seem like they are always trying to motivate you. Chau, the CEO, gets on your levels and tries to be a CEO that isn't behind the scenes but it more interactive with all parts of the company.

3. You'll make money- IF you work hard AND are in a good market that isn't divided too many times.

Cons

I had a really bad experience with Campus Special. I did not seek out this internship because as a sophomore, I didn't think I needed an internship yet. My manager personally emailed me and recommended I apply. So I did, and within a week, I had three interviews and was hired on the spot. I turned down three other jobs I had lined up for the summer for this. I am used to working hard (2-5 jobs) every summer to pay my car or my debts since I turned 16. I thought if I worked hard I would make at least the lower end of the "average pay"($2,500) which would make up for not working my other jobs.

Keep in mind that if the minimum wage is 8.25 and you are working 40 hours a week, you would walk away with $3,960 at the end of the summer (this is a 12 week program)

When I was hired, I made the assumption I was the only intern hired in my college town of 26,000. This was my mistake. Keep in mind, my university has a declining enrollment and the region it is in is known to be poor and economically struggling. Maybe ONE more intern would have been okay, but no, they hired FOUR.

I met another group at the conference with my same manager. Their "intern team" has three people. Their territory was Tampa, Florida, which has a population exceeding 360,000 people.

I'm not making excuses, I am telling the facts here.

Technically I am still employed at this internship but not for much longer because financially I can't do it. I am now in a very stressful financial situation, looking for another job, and locked into my summer lease.

Some people who go to college in large towns, large cities, or rich suburbs might see a pretty dollar and much success out of this internship. For others, Campus Special can be dishonest to you and screw you over by over-saturating your market.

Emotionally, I can take being said "no" to by business owners but my self esteem can't take working my butt off an entire summer and then getting nothing but disappointment out of it. When I can't make my situation better and am running out of businesses to go to by week three(they require you to make 30 in person business calls a day), I have a problem.

Other issues I have:

1. The attitude with this company might appeal to some but to others it is over exaggerated and just juvenile. I was on the fence about it but honestly I felt like I was surrounded by a bunch of obnoxious sports fans . The higher-ups in this company try to show the interns how hip they are to a ridiculous degree. They literally sent out a video of themselves shot gunning red bulls. My manager said he doesn't even drink red bull and might be wired on this particular day...meaning he was told/forced to do it and wasn't doing it out of free will.

2. They act like every other college student who isn't doing this internship is partying or at the pool. WRONG. I sacrificed for this internship and have worked my butt off 60+ hours a week during every summer I was old enough to work. People can't just go to college anymore and not work. That's a mislead stereotype they promote and act like you are so much better for doing this internship.

3. Before they sell you the products, the (over)sell the internship. As a college student ready to put good experience on a resume, they take advantage of you. It IS too good to be true. Considering I was ASKED to apply, it can't be that good of an internship.

4. They WILL ask you to lie when selling their product. They act like it is a white lie but a lie is a lie. They want you to fake deadlines and act like you were the biggest fan of this product since first day of freshman year even if you were not at all.

5. In some markets, their products/mediums just don't work. They never even train you on that. They give you testimonials for a few college but not your market. What works great in Kansas might not work great somewhere else, for example.

6. Even when a renewal or non-renewal client gives perfectly good reasons why they can't buy (I just can't afford it because I just had a baby and have to pay more mangers, I can't even pay my employees, we ran the same coupon in the newspaper and got more of those returned to our business) they INSIST you go back five times. At some point you will feel like you are harassing people into buying instead of doing your job.

7. It is ALL commission based so they don't compensate you for gas or your efforts even if you are trying hard without getting sales. I LOST money while doing this internship because I was driving to businesses. I tried to walk most of the time but when I started feeling drained because it is 90 degrees out or I'm getting harassed, then I tend to want to drive more.

8. They expect you to feel comfortable talking, venting, and relying on your manager who you've only talked to on the phone a handful of times before the internship and met in person at the three day conference. You really can't develop a working relationship that way. Maybe that model works for some but not for most.

9. They will send you tips but you really don't get much hands on training. The hands on training IS the internship and the managers are in a different time zone in Atlanta. While it's fine and dandy to be available via phone, this internship lacks the in person aspect.

10. They will basically promote the idea to work all the time,work past the designated hours, and sacrifice all other aspects of your life. This work hard mentality has pros and cons but I rather see a company promote life BALANCE and efficiency. They say "work hard, play later," a saying that is promoted in grades schools, but when do they play? My manager told me he hasn't spent time with his wife because he is working late every night and works on weekends. No one regrets working hard but people DO regret not spending enough time with loved ones on their death beds.

Advice to Management

PLEASE be honest and upfront about everything when you interview intern candidates especially in regards to the fraction of territory they end up getting instead of the whole college town.

"Internship Overview"

Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL

I have been working at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AMAZING AMAZING SUPPORT SYSTEM from your managers however your success is based NOT ONLY on effort but also on the city in which you are operating. In my experience, working on a team of 5 there were only 3 sales in the first 3 weeks, 2 of which were to renewal accounts. It is extremely difficult to work in a city where the product you are selling does not really work.

The career opportunities are amazing if you are working in the right area.

Cons

FOR THE WORK YOU ARE DOING THE PAY IS AWFUL, the amount of work that must be done outside of the 9-5 is extremely high

Advice to Management

there needs to be an adjustment to how the interns are paid...

"Campus Special Internship"

Current Employee - Campus Special Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Campus Special Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Campus Special part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

was okay, i guess, very time consuming.

Cons

not much pay, but whatever, good experience though

Advice to Management

pay interns more please, too much time commitment to take over our whole summer. at least compensate us a little more.

"The best job I've ever had, hands down"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good money
    Taught me responsibility and made me a more driven person
    This company has given back to me 10 fold what I gave to them
    Hooked me up with career partners so I am set for when I graduate

Cons

Cold calling is hard and intimidating at times
    Rejection

Advice to Management

I would recommend having managers in each city where the interns are to check in with them in person