The Capital Grille Sous Chef Reviews | Glassdoor

Clarence Otis Jr.
  1. "Sous Chef"

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Rosemont, IL

I worked at The Capital Grille for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay. There are a lot of things to learn from a managerial standpoint. The company invests in their employees and you are given valuable knowledge and training. General Manager is a very hard worker, and appears to care about the growth of employees.

Cons

Average 15 hours workday. Absolutely no work/life balance. Unrealistic bonus goals. Senior culinary management was hypocritical, unqualified for their position, and did not complete their work. High stress, every second, every day. Terrible communication. No respect. Constant micromanaging impedes any chance of efficiency. Fired after giving a one month resignation.

Advice to Management

Hire a qualified executive chef, absolutely stop micromanaging, and respect employees who are respectful of the company.

The Capital Grille2016-05-10

"Apparently hasn't changed"

Former Employee - Sous Chef in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Capital Grille full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dry Aging was totally impressive and what I went to the Capital Grille to learn

Cons

Worked 75 hours a week... as a sous chef... executive chef was no HELP at all... first CG on the west coast... 2 years later closed... work life balance non-existent...all kitchen staff over-worked... company didn't listen to advise from experienced chefs....

Advice to Management

listen to experienced executive chefs... we know our market.... hire enough folks to open a restaurant without forcing employees to work 75 hour work weeks.... no exaggeration... AT ALL

The Capital Grille2014-08-21