The Center for Discovery Reviews | Glassdoor

The Center for Discovery President and CEO Patrick H. Dollard
Patrick H. Dollard
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Idealism at its best"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Harris, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Harris, NY

I worked at The Center for Discovery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great energy, program, people and training. Cutting edge administration, definitely ahead of its time.

Cons

Expect minimum wage unless you have a college degree. However, even that they have taken into consideration and were providing college programs on campus. Enabling employees to attend class after work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and consider diversifying corporate just a bit more.

2. "RN"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Harris, NY
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Harris, NY

I have been working at The Center for Discovery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It takez a special nurse to work with this population

Cons

It get hectic at times because these clients are complex.

Advice to Management

Always be kind to your staff, they will never leave you.

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Residential Associate in Monticello, NY
    Current Employee - Residential Associate in Monticello, NY

I have been working at The Center for Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The children are nice

Cons

Worst place to work at. NO BREAK NO LUNCH, as long as you kiss your p.c.s butt you can get away with not showering residents and abuse. I didn't realize one staff abused a resident until about a year later. A staff did something to a resident and I told the boss and she "spoke" to the staff and did not notify QI. Now that I've been here a while I see it was abuse and she was transferred to a different house. SRA did NOT shower residents and other RAs told the PC and nothing was done...she was later transferred. I'm fed up never working here again.

Advice to Management

Do real investigating on your staff and what happens in houses. Ask people privately what's going on, not in front of the person who is they're PC for the house.

4. "RA"

I have been working at The Center for Discovery full-time

Pros

Pretty much top flight as far as image and brand are concerned.

Cons

It's like working in another world. Never worked with so many managers with no people skills....

Advice to Management

Perhaps have ongoing training and have an appreciation for staff day. Do anything except what you're doing now.

"Registered Nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Monticello, NY
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Monticello, NY

I worked at The Center for Discovery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with the students, ages 5-21, all with developmental disabilities as well as significant medical issues is truly a rewarding experience.

Cons

Too many upper management staff in all departments. It's difficult to understand what the hierarchy is. No pay increases for significant periods of time (2-3 years at least).Al

Advice to Management

Be more open to suggestions & ideas from direct-care staff. There should be less upper management so the budget can allow to pay the staff, who work hard every day, higher wages.

"Great for the students"

I worked at The Center for Discovery full-time

Pros

Beautiful setting
    Down to earth coworkers
    High tech facilities
    CSA/Cafe/Gym access

Cons

Disorganized management
    No set in stone breaks
    Shortage of Staff

Advice to Management

Implement a more strict break policy. Everyone works tirelessly and needs the recoup time.

7. "Residential Associate"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Harris, NY
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Harris, NY

I have been working at The Center for Discovery (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great job if you like to work with people. It helps you see a person for their individuality and not by their disability. It is not easy. The Center cares for the most complex students. The children with autism can be very active and have behavioral issues. You are trained to use approved intervention strategies but it can still be very physically and emotionally challenging at first but as you gain experience it is not as overwhelming. The medically complex children and adults are also physically challenging because they need a lot of assistance moving around and positioning them. You get good training on safe person handling (lifting) and using mechanical lifts so that you do not get injured. It is very interesting and a personally rewarding job. They even teach you cooking skills to prepare meals in the house. There is extra money available if you become certified to administer medication and if you become a certified vehicle operator. Salary is pretty good but benefits are great. The company supplements the medical coverage with an HRA that will pay for some of what the insurance does not cover. Free vision and dental. They have a very nice day care on site which is a great deal for the convenience and what you get. They also have gym and fitness programs and a Community Supported Agriculture program that you can pay by a payroll deduction and once a week you pick up like 10 pounds of produce. This is the place to work if you want to live a healthy lifestyle. There is also a tuition reimbursement where you can have 60% of your tuition paid for if it is a related field of study. There are 1,500 + employees and 3/4 of which are women. Unfortunately for me I am already married and trying to keep it that way - LOL! If you come to work here you must be on time and ready to go. If you do a good job after a few years you can become a supervisor. If you have college degree you can become a Program Coordinator (House Manager), or a Skills Trainer and have other opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Most people who come to The Center stay. Some immature people come here and have problems with time and attendance, don't do the job of taking care of residents or screw over their co-workers or worse and then they go way mad and blame everyone else.

Advice to Management

Increase pay

"Resident Associate - Direct Care"

Pros

Making a difference in the lives of the children I cared for. I learned a lot about children with multiple disabilities and autism, the work was rewarding. I enjoyed the pick up soccer games behind the clinic and indoors during the winter. I miss this place!

Cons

Driving in the winter, I don't like driving in the winter, I recommend taking a cab if needed, during bad winter storms the company has sent out vehicles to pick staff up.

"Fantastic Place to work!!!"

Pros

Make a difference in someone's life while changing your own! I have never worked at a place that lives up to their mission quite like the Center for Discovery. The wellness opportunities for employees are fantastic and no place promotes a more positive work environment. Do yourself a favor and apply to work here!

Cons

You don't get to live at this beautiful place when you just work there!

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Direct Care Staff
    Current Employee - Direct Care Staff

I have been working at The Center for Discovery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people at the center are very nice hard working people. They do go out of their way to help others. It is rare to see that in a work place today.

Cons

I wish more people knew about the great things that are done here.