The Chartis Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Ken Graboys

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

boutique firm so everyone knows everyone, friendly culture, Intellectually challenging environment, exposure to solving most challenging healthcare strategy issues at large hospital systems.

Cons

Lots of travel, demanding work, long hours

"not great"

I worked at The Chartis Group full-time

Pros

They do pay out nice bonuses, so if you stay there, you can collect over time. Some of the partners are great to work with. The rest of it is pretty similar to any consulting gig - high pay for high travel/hours, lots of time doing gritty work with miserable people.

Cons

The company is in flux, part-owned by PE. This structure affects the employee experience as they brought in unrelated businesses as an attempt to raise the exit multiple. They don't have strong team controls to ensure employee growth and satisfaction. Many of the managers are not good people leaders. A lot of the more tenured people at the firm have been in the healthcare industry for a long time and have good consulting skills, but terrible leadership skills. The rainmaker partners have not figured out a good system for developing talent. They sell dozens of projects and want to be deeply involved in all of them. Often, that means they will fly in at the 11th hour and want you to re-shuffle/re-wordsmith everything. (*note I have seen this happen to everyone - even the people at the EM or Principal level) The company has sweet spot projects with Academic Medical Centers/Community Medical Centers that they sell repeatedly (great for them)! However, as a consultant, this can limit your ability to grow as they typically aren't a great experience for you to learn or improve your exit opportunities. Also, the company - while respected in its narrow niche - is not well known otherwise. Consultants here are paid a bit below the industry rates, without any advantages of better experiences, work/life, culture, or exit opportunities.

Advice to Management

Management does not typically take advice from what I have seen.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Emphasis on teamwork and learning culture. People are very friendly in person.

Cons

New hires are staffed without regard to previous experience and expected to fill the mold of those who grow up in the firm. "Chartis Family" seems to be a good recruiting term, but there is little training and onboarding to make you feel welcome and a part of the organization, so you feel like an outsider at a very small firm. Lack of diversity results in narrow focus and approach and shows little regard to thinking outside of the "Chartis Way." Company appears to be experiencing growing pains and doesn't seem to have a handle on the direction and resources needed to support their strategy.

Advice to Management

Consider placing an emphasis on diversity and inclusion. Improve onboarding and new hire training processes to create an easier transition.

"Confused by the High Ratings"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Typical consulting work, fast paced, you will learn a lot. Lots of exposure to C-suite clients. Travel less than most firms.

Cons

Very small teams, with poorly aligned staffing. No consideration for seniority, or past experience when staffing is made; brand new people are put on teams where they are the only full-time person and left to flounder. If you are newer to consulting, a firm with more support and larger teams may be beneficial.

Advice to Management

Tweak your recruiting process in order to ensure goals are aligned with reality.

5. "Good firm with some growing pains"

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time

Pros

Great people, great clients - still rare to find such high-quality group focusing primarily on provider-based strategies

Cons

Growing company going through transition period - project staffing and support occasionally rough, especially for junior-level consultants and managers. Management was more focused on company culture in the past, changing as the firm is growing.

"Mission-driven work, brilliant colleagues"

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission-driven work at the forefront of healthcare strategy. There is a direct link between our projects and patient care, and my colleagues share a deeply held passion for the work we do. Relative to other consulting firms, we seem to take on more interesting and impactful engagements. We don't really do cost work/supply chain/etc. and instead focus on things like clinical strategy/enterprise strategy/transition to population health.

Cons

We have been doing fairly lean staffing on projects in the last year, which can lead to long hours and heavy workloads. The upside is that younger consultants often get direct, enriching experience with partners. Management knows that this can present challenges, and is doing a good job of communicating how they plan to address this.

Additionally, compensation is not quite on par with other top consulting firms. The differential is small, though I suspect it grows as you rise in your role. This is a tradeoff I am willing to make, however, with the unique nature of our work and the wonderful culture we continue to maintain.

Advice to Management

The culture is a big draw, so focus on maintaining it. More work needs to be put into growing our brand at top MBA and grad schools. Continue to work on setting competitive compensation.

"Accounting Manager"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at The Chartis Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company on the forefront of Management Consulting and IT Consulting in the Medical Industry. This company will make a difference in how patients, doctors and administrators deal with the complex health issues concerning the United States.

Cons

The company has a lot of work but not enough employees to cover all of its needs.

Advice to Management

Realize the value of your employees and make sure that they do not burn out.

"Pretty Good Overall, Company in Limbo"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the projects are very interesting, some of the people are very talented and reasonable to work with. For consulting, the work/life balance isn't terrible.

Cons

Some of the managers are pretty unskilled. The company seems to balance ability to play politics over people who have genuinely good management skills. Like any company, there are a few snakes. Also, the compensation is lagging the industry a bit.

Advice to Management

Seems like management has some degree of self-awareness about growth opportunities. It feels like they're trying to address some of the bad project experiences and reign in some of the rogue management. Also, they may be looking into compensation and trying to improve it. It feels like it took a while for management to uncover that there were some deep problems before they were willing to seriously look at things or make changes.

"Very slow to reimburse expenses and professional fees"

Pros

Don't have any pros to share

Cons

Very slow to reimburse expenses and professional fees

10. "Great culture, experiencing significant growth"

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time

Pros

Great culture. Mission-driven firm that truly lives by its values. Truly a privilege to work with my Chartis colleagues to serve our clients.

Cons

The firm has experienced tremendous growth and along with it has come the predictable growing pains. The firm leadership is still struggling to feel like a boutique firm while having a much greater footprint than it did in the past.

Advice to Management

Consider further growth in a thoughtful, measured, and purposeful way with a clear view as to the impact it will have on the firm's culture and our ability to serve our clients in more meaningful and comprehensive ways.