The Chat Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 7, 2019

4.1
Joe Bush and Jonny Everett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Probably the most obvious, but what's not to love about working from home" (in 33 reviews)

• "The Chat Shop is constantly looking to improve procedures in all areas" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "There's no benefits since independent contractor role" (in 8 reviews)

• "No downsides to report - I have been satisfied with every aspect of my working life at The Chat Shop" (in 7 reviews)

"Literally the best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at The Chat Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Probably the most obvious, but what's not to love about working from home?!
    -The Chat Shop is constantly looking to improve procedures in all areas. I've watched things improve in so many areas since starting here, and you can really tell that they care about doing things the best way possible.
    -There's plenty of room for advancement here. If you stick around and do your job well, there is always room to move up in the company, and that's really important to me.
    -Having a job well done acknowledged. This is small in the grand scheme of things, but goes really far and it definitely helps motivate me.
    -Flexibility. Although your shifts are scheduled, if you need time off or an emergency comes up everyone really works hard to arrange that for you. When I first started here, my shifts were exactly what I was told I would be given!
    -Open discussion is encouraged from the bottom to the very top of the company. It's easy to start a conversation with anybody about anything, and your concerns are genuinely heard.
    -On time, prompt, and sometimes even slightly early payments.
    -Staff at all levels hold themselves accountable for any mistakes or issues that occur - this is expected at all levels, including from those in management, and I think that the company does a great job at setting this expectation.

Cons

There honestly really isn't much that comes to mind here. Sometimes things get quite busy and hectic, but this comes as a growing pain with an ever expanding company! The same flexibility that they afford you is expected back when cover is needed, which I think is fair and not really a con. At one point I did feel quite disconnected from everybody, but I think that came down to the hours that I was working and not putting enough effort in on my own to speak with my colleagues - this is no longer the case now, thankfully.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You are headed in the right direction and I can't wait to see what the future has in store. Many of us are here for the long haul with you and we look forward to helping you grow and excel!

"Best work from home job I have found"

Current Employee - Chat Agent
    Current Employee - Chat Agent

I have been working at The Chat Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The best part is working from home, without a doubt!
    -Pay is okay
    -Hours can be flexible
    -Constantly growing so room for moving up is always available.

Cons

-No benefits
    -No PTO, unless you are a UK agent
    -Pay could be better

Advice to Management

When US agents do become "employees", consider allotting the same amount of holiday as UK agents. If not, I am afraid many agents might leave. Also, an update on when this will be happening would be handy.

"Chat Rep"

I have been working at The Chat Shop (More than a year)

Pros

Been here for 1 year. i love it !

Cons

I have no cons about this job! It is awesome!

"Started off great, ended terribly!"

Former Employee - Sales Chat Agent
    Former Employee - Sales Chat Agent

I worked at The Chat Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very detailed and thorough training.

Cons

I'm not sure where to start! The entire vibe at The Chat Shop is quite unprofessional. I came to The Chat Shop having worked a job for a huge company with very professional standards, so I was quite shocked at the feeling of practically no HR. My team lead made you feel like she was your best friend one day, then would act quite catty the next. I think it was just her personal insecurity that made her feel as though she needed to tower over others. A huge con is the "review" process they have. You have a probationary period when you start the job, which is followed by a review in which you either PASS, FAIL, or get EXTENDED. The kicker to this process is that there is literally no numerical standard by which you pass, fail, or get extended. It it seriously like "well, I'll talk to the team leader and we'll decide later if you've passed or get extended. I'll let you know what they think!" No one should be held to a standard that they don't even know how to achieve since it's 100% subjective to how they feel you're doing. Here is the biggest reason I would say to ANYONE to steer clear of this crap show: During the beginning of my time with The Chat Shop, my father passed away along with about 5 other terrible, although not quite as terrible as my dad's passing, things happened. The Chat Shop was very kind during my dad's passing and even sent flowers to my home! I definitely thought "this is the kind of company I want to work for." As time passed, I had offered up a couple shifts or traded with others on my team to try and work around some of the things that came up in my life! (I didn't know this was an issue until my "review" in which I was told that someone on my team (AKA- my team lead) left a comment that they didn't see any leadership skills and that they felt I didn't want to be there because I exchanged shifts with others on my team.) Hearing this drawn out, rude comment said to me over the phone during a meeting was completely unnecessary. If there is an issue that needs to be addressed, come to me and tell me I shouldn't be changing shifts with others (even though it's something that you do through what's called 7Shifts and has to be approved by management.) This is when things went sour! Shortly after my annual review, in which I was told the things others on my team didn't like about me and then got 'extended', my mother was rushed into the E.R with a heart attack, adding to my list of what a horrible year it has been. I text my team lead to let her know what was going on and essentially said that I did not want to get fired, so if I was about to get fired for this, I would rather have notice so I don't have a firing on my record (which has NEVER happened before). After the text I sent explaining the situation with my mom, my team leads response was "Just to confirm, should I take this as your resignation?" That was it. After responding and explaining how I was feeling and what was going on, I didn't hear back from her for several days and when I got home from the hospital after my mom did pass, I logged on to try and figure out where to pick up things from and I had no access to any of my work logins. I didn't hear anything back about why this had happened. All of this to say - stay far far away from this "company". They are the most unprofessional, rude set of people you'll ever encounter. You'd get better professionalism working at McDonalds.

Last thing - my team lead let me know that she was asked to post a review on here to show all the wonderful things about working here, to counteract ALL the bad reviews! So, don't trust all the fake wonderful reviews, as they are current employees who have been asked to post a raving review!

Advice to Management

Promote team leads that aren't so insecure that they have to down on other people. Don't fire someone by just cutting off their logins after having the second parent pass away within 6 months. COMPASSION goes a long way, and it is lacking greatly here!

"HORRIBLE AND DISRESPECTFUL"

Pros

Professionalism. I can't think of anything else honestly

Cons

Disrespectful, they don't care about your feelings, they don't want to hear what you have to say. 3 words: they - don't - care.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and treat them like people. And btw, $9.5 an hour is BS

The Chat Shop Response

Dec 4, 2017 – Marketing Executive

Hey there! I'm sorry to read that your time with The Chat Shop was not successful.

I'm a bit confused about your review because you list our professionalism as a 'Pro' but go on to describe you... More

"Do not be fooled by the overly positive reviews"

Former Employee - Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Chat Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work from home, your hours are pretty flexible and time off is not a problem if you do it with enough time in advance. Some friendly people (SOME)

Cons

TCS is not the worst company in the world, but it is certainly one of the most unprofessional I have ever seen. I really wanted to like them, as I am not one to hold grudges with past employers. There are some good things, but the truth is the truth. Everything is a mess here. They have problems with their clients left and right and it's because they don't think about quality over quantity. They expect you to learn a ridiculous amount of information and pretend to be an expert on something you know nothing about. Test chats are nothing like the real chats, and you are not informed of everything you should know but then you are scolded for your shortcomings. They do try to cover all of this up with the facade that they are friendly and open to feedback, but in reality, they are constantly harassing you over everything. You are required to read and respond to the lengthiest Emails of all time even on your days off, which is illegal by the way because they don't pay you for it. There is a high turnaround rate for a reason. While I worked here I saw at least 20 people disappear and none on good terms. Be prepared to sell scams and crappy products to innocent people because every client this company has is dishonest and have horrible reviews online. You are constantly getting berated by chatters who are not happy with the service and somehow you are supposed to make everything ok, even though it is the chat shop's fault for not working with a single legitimate company.

Advice to Management

Improve your training, it is god awful and way too long. If you want your company to succeed, stop shoving 15 clients down your agents throats and expecting them to provide quality service with so much to handle at once. Multitasking is one thing but this is chaos. You cannot provide good service when you're drowning in chats. Stop letting your agents talk crap about clients openly on the agent threads, that is so unprofessional and unbecoming to you guys. Like I said, it's all a facade because no one here is honest. If you want people to be on call 24/7, pay us more or pay salary. $9 an hour once a month is NOT enough for the amount of work we do.

"Highly recommended!"

Current Employee - Live Chat Agent
    Current Employee - Live Chat Agent

I have been working at The Chat Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The entire team is very nice, and make a lot of effort to build comradery. Training is thorough and you are given a set schedule so you can count on having hours. A great place to work!

Cons

No complaints so far.

Advice to Management

n/a

"Most Legitimate Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Live Chat Agent in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Live Chat Agent in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at The Chat Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working from home is incredible. Training is paid. Excellent communication between team leaders and chat agents! Fast hire process. Caring people. Constructive feedback for job improvement. Occasional phone calls for chat agent support.

Cons

Sometimes the chat platform cuts me off, and I have to refresh it. Other than that, it's a great job!

Advice to Management

Keep being great managers. Keep communicating with your staff. Communication is how this business is so successful, and how we all work so well together!

"Good work-from-home opportunity"

Current Employee - Live Chat Agent in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Live Chat Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at The Chat Shop part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly co-workers, exciting work.

Cons

Pay is on the low side for the required skills and commitment. There is always a need for shifts to be covered, usually without much notice, so be prepared to be flexible.

Advice to Management

Offering higher pay would attract more capable and committed candidates and reduce attrition.

"Great Work from Home Job"

Current Employee - Live Chat Agent in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Live Chat Agent in Phila, PA

I have been working at The Chat Shop (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at The Chat Shop! I am so glad I found this company. Even though its virtual, it's really a family-like environment. Everyone is so nice and helpful! The training really prepares you to be an exceptional live chat agent! I started at the end of March and I really think they set the tone for how a live chat engagement should be! I definitely will stay with this company for a long time :) I started with only 24 hours a week which I was nervous about, but I have been able to pick up many shifts and was offered more hours for the future. Totally recommend to anyone looking to earn a living at home. Round the clock schedules!

Cons

adjusting to UK time was tough at first as I am in EST but it's easy to conquer.

Advice to Management

great job!