The Children's Aid Society Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Children's Aid Society President/CEO Phoebe Boyer
Phoebe Boyer

Pros
  • If you enjoy working with children and their families then this is the organization for you (in 6 reviews)

• Good people that want to make a difference (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and new benefits package is very expensive (in 7 reviews)

• Not much room for growth, depending on the department you are in (in 3 reviews)

1. "Wonderful mission, employees and outcomes"

Current Employee - Central Services in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Central Services in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good mix of long time and newer employees, mission is very easy to support, varied programs, welcoming culture.

Cons

It was a very decentralized organization, due to many locations throughout the city, and now it is tough to get everyone working in the same way.
    Salaries are not a high as most candidates would like/or need.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing staff, not just managing cases.

2. "Supportive, welcoming, competitive pay. High stress, high burnout culture."

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary for comparable roles, supportive management, inclusive culture.

Cons

Slow upward mobility, unexpected cuts every year.

3. "bad"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Boston, MA

I worked at The Children's Aid Society (More than 3 years)

Pros

nothing to tell, don't work there

Cons

don't work there, no pay.

Advice to Management

nothing

5. "FFT Therapist"

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time

Pros

I've learned in life that everything happens for a reason, and that is the one "pro" I can take from from this experience. The experience i speak of is having the chance to meet my three other colleagues who helped me through one of the most traumatic times of my life. My colleagues and I supported one another and they were the only reason that kept me at this job for a miserable 9 months.

Cons

Where should I begin? I have never in my entire life experienced such trauma and disregard for emotional well-being. Throughout my entire 9 months of employment, i felt belittled, disregarded, incompetent, disrespected, discriminated against, and down right humiliated. Yes, I said 9 months. God only knows how I lasted past one week. My most unfortaunate experience I had working at this disgraceful place was losing my uncle to suicide. During this most difficult time, i was lost and torn between grieving my loss and prioritizing my job and the tons of paperwork not listed in the "job description". While reaching out to my supervisor who I learned to be so unfit for the position, I was told "when will you be returning to work". Not quite the response I was looking for. Then days later receiving an email from my supervisor stating what paperwork needs to be done which was lengthy and quite ridiculous if you ask me. At the time I thought to myself, what human being could possibly treat another person this way without support or guidance. Long story short, I took NO days off to catch up on paperwork which by the way never ends due to the ridiculous amount of corrections that come back about 10 times for the stupidest things like grammar or forgetting to input a comma. I went to work everyday Monday-Friday, took my paperwork home with me and still managed a full caseload of 10 families who were seen on a weekly basis. Not once was I offered some time off, a fewer caseload, or guidance in completing paperwork. I did it all on my own with the support of my three colleagues. I found myself breaking down in my office (caged cell) tears running down trying to grieve and do my job at the same time. I found myself providing therapy to families on the edge of breaking down and having to pull myself together. The mistake I made? Putting this job before my emotional and mental well-being. But like all life lessons, I definitely learned something and that was to put ME first ALWAYS. And how do I begin to discuss discrimination? I was the only Hispanic from my three colleagues and I wasn't allowed to do certain things that my colleagues did, such as clock in on my own, or have someone call my families on my caseload to question whether or not I'm doing my job and doing it correctly. When confronting my supervisor, and I say "supervisor" because what I really want to label that person is extremely disrespectful for this purpose, I get a response filled with lies. How do I know this? The families on my caseload would ask me why they are being called and asked questions like "is your therapist going to the home" "is she doing her job", while my colleagues families never asked this as they were NOT being called. Oh and where do I begin to talk about the environment. I've never felt so disconnected, disrespected, and alienated as I did going into that office. The aliens who worked there were not welcoming nor were they professional. Professionalism did NOT exist within the office or within my supervisor. I was never validated or comforted. However, was attacked, belittled, and spoken to as if I was incompetent. After a few months walking in and out with my supervisor not acknowledging any of us and leaving work early all the time, I did my best to apply for jobs while on the job. With the help of my colleagues I found a posting online, applied for the job, was interviewed and then offered the position. Did I take it? YES I DID. I mean to be honest, they could of offered me to work at a minimum wage job and I would of taken it because it would have meant that I could have my sanity back. So with this being said, this was by far the WORST and most traumatizing job I have ever had. I still have nightmares and flashbacks. I am surprised they did not shut that program down from the highest turnover rate I can only imagine. One of the best decisions of my life was turning in my weeks notice. So please if you are reading this, THINK TWICE ABOUT TAKING A POSTION AS FFT THERAPIST AT THE BRONX 149 LOCATION. The people there are truly disgusting AND unless you have a passion for ruining your life, apply :)

Advice to Management

Take the feedback you get into more consideration. Support and professionalism is needed at any job if there is a clear and high turnover rate you should question why that is and make some changes.

6. "Bilingual After School Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with children
    Working with trained DOE teachers

Cons

Poor/little training
    Immature coworkers and supervisors

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "Worst Experience I've Ever Had"

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time

Pros

The ONLY pro of this job was making 3 new, life-long friends that I still see today; we became so close having to support each other through this miserable job.

Cons

There isn't enough time, space or personal energy for me to express how horrible this job was. Myself and 3 other co-workers (plus supervisor) were all hired at the same time (that right there already tells you something is wrong). The supervisor was incompetent, pathetic and the opposite of a team leader. The pay is pathetic. The agency doesn't care about your safety and will force you to go into unsafe neighborhoods in the Bronx at night. The paperwork is impossible no matter how organized and efficient you are. Employees are not rewarded, they are punished despite all of the work. In attempts to express concerns regarding the job, we were met with NOTHING...nothing changed...which explains why we ALL left within a year of being hired. Leaving this place was the best feeling and decision I've ever made. I've been in a new job for almost 8 months and my appreciation for my work and experience at my new job is so much stronger thanks to the termoil that I experienced at this job. I took this job right out of grad school and I thought I could learn to love it...I was SO wrong, I was ready to quit after a month. Take my advice, run far far far away, there is absolutely nothing that makes this job worth your time.

Advice to Management

It's not worth wasting my time, they won't change anything and they will continue to hire new people every year.

8. "Great people to work with"

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time

Pros

1) People are good
    2) Management is helpful

Cons

1) Poor performance review
    2) Compensation

Advice to Management

Reward employees based on their accomplishments

9. "it was a good experience for the summer"

Former Employee - Guidance Counsler in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Guidance Counsler in New York, NY

Pros

trips every friday free of charge,pool every tuesday,staff is like a family,

Cons

Children can sometimes be annoying,days are long and boring sometimes,food places are two aves up

Advice to Management

increase pay rate

10. "great training experience"

Pros

excellent training opportunities; good benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

agency locations are not in the best areas but does reach the people who need services.

Advice to Management

reward experience

"Absolutely horrible"

Former Employee - Functional Family Therapist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Functional Family Therapist in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I made some lifelong friends, because the trauma of working here brought us close together, so that we could pull each other through.

Cons

I don't want to speak for Children's Aid as a whole, because it is a large organization with many programs, some of which are great. However, my program - Bronx FFT - was despicable. I was one of four therapists, and we were all hired at the same time, as well as the supervisor. Within less than a year, all of us had quit. We learned that the same thing had happened to the team before us as well.

This is extremely challenging work. The families are tough, and you see and hear sad, disturbing things every day. But that was not the issue - the families were what made it all worthwhile, they were what kept me going. The workload is MASSIVE - you could do paperwork 80 hours a week, and the job would still never be done. The pay is embarrassing, far lower than any other entry level MSW position out there. In this context, it is absolutely critical that staff receive support and validation at work. Yet management was not only unsupportive, they were punitive.Instead of giving us the benefit of the doubt, they nitpicked our work and sent it back with corrections not once, not twice, but four or five times. They did not trust us as employees, and we always felt that we were being surveilled. We grew to realize that we could never go to management for help, because we never knew what they would use against us. Many times, in order to do right by the clients, I had to go behind my supervisor's back. I didn't feel good doing this, but I genuinely felt that, in order to uphold my ethical mandate as a social worker, it was what I had to do.

We tried to air our concerns on a number of occasions, believing that management might listen, and might try to implement changes. Each time, we were met with vague lip service, which never materialized into any changes whatsoever. I have never felt so unheard, dismissed, and disrespected in a workplace.

Now, I am well aware that much of this is beyond management's control. As an ACS-funded program, their hands are tied in many ways, and ACS sets rules that are ridiculous and notoriously impossible to meet. I would encourage anyone to stay as far away from ACS as possible. They are a fear-driven, reactive agency that is quick to turn blame on it's front-line workers. However, there were still things management could have done (create an atmosphere of trust, validate employees and make them feel heard, advocate on our behalf). Instead, they made us all feel expendable from the beginning. As a result, the entire team quit within a matter of months, and they are once again hiring an all new team. And I am quite sure this cycle will continue into the future. Truly, they should be ashamed of themselves.

I realize this is a long review and may be read as a rant. I purposely waited three months before writing this, to give myself time to process, and to get some distance and perspective. I started a new job two weeks after leaving Children's Aid, and I am still amazed every single day at how much better my new place of employment is. I had started to think that it wasn't possible to feel happy at my job, or that the whole field of social work was poisoned. That just isn't true - the problem was specific to the Bronx FFT program at Children's Aid. I caution anyone who is considering working there to think twice. You will learn a lot - mostly, what makes a job demoralizing, and how to avoid this type of job for the rest of your career.

Advice to Management

I've tried many times to give advice, and it fell on deaf ears. I don't see the point in wasting more time on that. If they really care, they can read above.