The Children's Courtyard Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Children's Courtyard CEO Barbara J. Beck
Barbara J. Beck

Pros
  • Great company, Have been there for almost 2 years great people to work with very understanding and willing to work with you at all times (in 2 reviews)

• I have a child that has been here through birth and these teachers have helped teach her so many things and prepare her to go to kinder next year (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long days, low pay, lots of stress (in 4 reviews)

• The work environment is not very good (in 3 reviews)

1. "It's Okay"

I have been working at The Children's Courtyard full-time

Pros

Competitive pay for industry, families are nice

Cons

Unrealistic expectations with what can be accomplished each day. They are not consistent with discipline if employees do not follow policy.

2. "Nerve-wrecking to say the least"

Former Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher

Pros

The children are so sweet, they are really the driving force behind the whole thing. Many of the parents are supportive and offer help in the mornings when things can become chaotic very quickly. The other teachers were also a great support system. We all gelled well and helped each other out with bathroom breaks when management wouldn't get around to it.

Cons

The hours even as a Lead Teacher are all over the place. If the Director or Assistant Director aren't happy with something you've done they give you ridiculously long lunches (3+ hours) or send you home super early. They don't care. Many times if you request a bathroom break they'd say hold it they're in ratio. Meaning they have just the right amount of teachers to allotted number of children and everyone must stay in their classrooms. There was little to no communication between the Director and Assistant Director. Each one would give the teachers a different daily schedule or schedule for the week and Lord forbid you ask one of them to clear it up or you can't read their mind about where the other one wants you at a certain time and then you get attitude and called stupid to one of the other teachers as you walk away. The way we were talked about to one another made working there a nightmare. Many times we weren't given direction or assistance in the classrooms. I went to the 2-3 day "training" of sitting through paperwork and bogus scenarios and after the second day of being in the classroom of the teacher I was taking over for, they sent her home early and I was expected to do things on my own. Many times I had 13 2 year olds to myself and it was very chaotic. The max set forth by the state was 11 and even that is too much. Many parents would stop by after watching the cameras and say that they counted the number of kids in the classrooms. Management always had a snippy remark or excuse as to why this occurred.

Advice to Management

Assist your teachers as much as possible. Assistant teachers are a big help especially in a rambunctious classroom. The directors are so focused on putting up a facade for the parents during pick-up and drop off they don't realize the parents see what's really going on by the cameras especially if they're off that particular day. Set your teachers and kids up for success. The turnover rate is a direct reflection of you, the management.

3. "Ok for temporary part time"

Pros

Kids are great and staff meetings are beneficial

Cons

Not enough pay, sporadic hours

5. "Decent Company"

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant

Pros

At least with the location I am located, everyone is very professional, the child group that I am with is pretty much well behaved, and all the staff did everything that they could to make joining the company an easy and smooth process.

Cons

Some of the hired staff, teachers seem to not really care for the children and see it as job rather than their impact on these children's lives.

Advice to Management

Plenty of the training material is heavily based over psychology - I would recommend extending the training to a few couple of days and spread out so we can absorb and actually remember the training itself. Rather than lumping it all into a 7 hour day.

6. "I was only there for a few months before I quit"

Pros

I honestly can't think of any pros. I guess the kids are mostly sweet and they pay for you to take CPR classes, which is nice.

Cons

Management was very unorganized and my particular center was frequently understaffed. Morale was low and every time I went in, someone else had quit. I was hired to work with one particular age group that I have experience working with, but they would frequently move me to other age groups that I had no idea how to handle and then the manager would passive aggressively roll her eyes at me when I asked how to do something with the new group.

Advice to Management

Make sure you have enough staff scheduled and be more upfront about the fact that employees will need to work with multiple groups. If you have an employee in an unfamiliar position, try to be patient.

7. "Good"

Pros

Co workers are awesome and super friendly

Cons

employees don't stay for a long time. High turnover rate

8. "Pretty good company to work for"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at The Children's Courtyard part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You make great connections with your kids and the families that attend the daycare. Training was beneficial and you have great resources.

Cons

Such a petty environment to work in, all the girls were selfish and out to get everyone in trouble. The directors were nice but definitely played favorites and if you weren't their favorite you got the short end of the stick most of the time. The ratios of teachers to kids were too low and it's hard to handle a class full of 20-30 kids to one teacher.

Advice to Management

I would work on improving your hiring process so the schools aren't so understaffed

9. "N/A"

Pros

Work with your schedule whenever needed

Cons

Unorganized
    Huge turnover rate for company

10. "The children are great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Central, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Central, TX

Pros

The children and the parents are great!

Cons

Not a lot of growth in the company.

Advice to Management

The manager should not party with the employees

11. "Toddler Teacher"

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at The Children's Courtyard (Less than a year)

Pros

I knew that I would only be working in the same toddler room everyday. Sometimes daycares switch things up and shuffle teachers around, but that didn't happen here. They were flexible with scheduling as well, so that was nice.

Cons

Parents were valued much more than workers. Of course parents are important, but they were allowed to be very nasty to the staff, which is the main reason I quit. Also my co-workers would leave once our class was in ratio for one teacher, whether their shift was over or not.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees just as well as you treat the customers. Make sure the employees have a relationship with the director. I only saw the director three times when working there: when she hired me, when she talked to me about parents once in her office, and when I handed her my two-weeks notice.