The Children's Courtyard Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
The Children's Courtyard CEO Barbara J. Beck
Barbara J. Beck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The paycheck and working with children (in 4 reviews)

• Children, families, fun, activities, summer camp, field trips and all the smiles and giggles (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Management has no clue what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

• Also my co-workers would leave once our class was in ratio for one teacher, whether their shift was over or not (in 2 reviews)

1. "Preschool Teacher"

I worked at The Children's Courtyard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and no weekends!

Cons

I loved most of the management team I worked with except the Director. She wasn't very personable to staff or families.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate and personable of your staff, especially if they've been loyal.

"Dollars before children"

I worked at The Children's Courtyard full-time

Pros

Most of the staff are good to work with, parents are usually friendly. Obviously, it is a positive experience to work with children.

Cons

Since being bought out by Learning Tree, which has since been bought out by an even larger company, the focus is on money over the well being of children. It is standard practice to shuffle kids from one classroom to another on a daily basis, so that staff can be reduced to the bare minimum, and staff is routinely sent home early in order to accomplish this. I have heard them tell prospective parents that the infant room will usually have 8 babies to two adults, but "just today" or "once in a while" there are ten. In practice, there are usually ten. Parents may have to check two or three classrooms to find their kid at the end of the day because they move them around so much to keep staff at a minimum. Babies may spend extra time in a buggy while "supervised" by office staff, which is against licensing policy, This is not the fault of directors, but rather of higher management who demands low staffing hours. Site directors are stressed and know better than to speak out against this policy.

Advice to Management

To upper management- I understand this is a business, but it is a business that involves the well being of children, and the people taking care of them. They are people, not walking dollar signs. You are doing damage.

3. "Teacher"

I have been working at The Children's Courtyard full-time

Pros

The kids are so adorable
    Off on weekends

Cons

Pay
    The management
    Working around all women is DRAMA
    The parents are rude
    Infested with gnats
    The children eat the same food everyday

Advice to Management

Close down!

4. "Meh"

I have been working at The Children's Courtyard full-time

Pros

Children, families, fun, activities, summer camp, field trips and all the smiles and giggles.

Cons

Management has no work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Treat your workers better.

5. "The worst job."

Former Employee - Lead Early Preschool Teacher in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Early Preschool Teacher in Lewisville, TX

I worked at The Children's Courtyard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The paycheck and working with children.

Cons

I was a full time early preschool teacher that had the closing shift. Two days out of the week it was my duty to vacuum, mop the floor in my room, and take out the trash. This was not mentioned during the interview. I understand that the need to tidy up a room but not perform custodial services. I only worked there for about a month until I felt like I was being take advantage of. The other teachers that left at 4:30 and 5:30 pm would bring in their kids really early like at least 30 min early with the excuse that they had to clean up their rooms. Some of these kids needed a diaper change. Management didn't care that I complained about this.
    The parents had high expectations, they expected me to know how their kids day went from the other class rooms.
    I got a lot more paperwork since I was the closer.
    Management comes across as nice and helpful but they only care about image and keeping the parents happy. If you let management or coworkers take advantage of you, they most definitely will.

Advice to Management

Offer more support to new hires.
    Show up quickly to the rooms to relieve the teachers for a restroom break.
    Quit acting fake and trying to be nice.

6. "It's Okay"

I have been working at The Children's Courtyard full-time

Pros

Competitive pay for industry, families are nice

Cons

Unrealistic expectations with what can be accomplished each day. They are not consistent with discipline if employees do not follow policy.

7. "Nerve-wrecking to say the least"

Former Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher

Pros

The children are so sweet, they are really the driving force behind the whole thing. Many of the parents are supportive and offer help in the mornings when things can become chaotic very quickly. The other teachers were also a great support system. We all gelled well and helped each other out with bathroom breaks when management wouldn't get around to it.

Cons

The hours even as a Lead Teacher are all over the place. If the Director or Assistant Director aren't happy with something you've done they give you ridiculously long lunches (3+ hours) or send you home super early. They don't care. Many times if you request a bathroom break they'd say hold it they're in ratio. Meaning they have just the right amount of teachers to allotted number of children and everyone must stay in their classrooms. There was little to no communication between the Director and Assistant Director. Each one would give the teachers a different daily schedule or schedule for the week and Lord forbid you ask one of them to clear it up or you can't read their mind about where the other one wants you at a certain time and then you get attitude and called stupid to one of the other teachers as you walk away. The way we were talked about to one another made working there a nightmare. Many times we weren't given direction or assistance in the classrooms. I went to the 2-3 day "training" of sitting through paperwork and bogus scenarios and after the second day of being in the classroom of the teacher I was taking over for, they sent her home early and I was expected to do things on my own. Many times I had 13 2 year olds to myself and it was very chaotic. The max set forth by the state was 11 and even that is too much. Many parents would stop by after watching the cameras and say that they counted the number of kids in the classrooms. Management always had a snippy remark or excuse as to why this occurred.

Advice to Management

Assist your teachers as much as possible. Assistant teachers are a big help especially in a rambunctious classroom. The directors are so focused on putting up a facade for the parents during pick-up and drop off they don't realize the parents see what's really going on by the cameras especially if they're off that particular day. Set your teachers and kids up for success. The turnover rate is a direct reflection of you, the management.

8. "Ok for temporary part time"

Pros

Kids are great and staff meetings are beneficial

Cons

Not enough pay, sporadic hours

9. "Decent Company"

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant

Pros

At least with the location I am located, everyone is very professional, the child group that I am with is pretty much well behaved, and all the staff did everything that they could to make joining the company an easy and smooth process.

Cons

Some of the hired staff, teachers seem to not really care for the children and see it as job rather than their impact on these children's lives.

Advice to Management

Plenty of the training material is heavily based over psychology - I would recommend extending the training to a few couple of days and spread out so we can absorb and actually remember the training itself. Rather than lumping it all into a 7 hour day.

10. "I was only there for a few months before I quit"

Pros

I honestly can't think of any pros. I guess the kids are mostly sweet and they pay for you to take CPR classes, which is nice.

Cons

Management was very unorganized and my particular center was frequently understaffed. Morale was low and every time I went in, someone else had quit. I was hired to work with one particular age group that I have experience working with, but they would frequently move me to other age groups that I had no idea how to handle and then the manager would passive aggressively roll her eyes at me when I asked how to do something with the new group.

Advice to Management

Make sure you have enough staff scheduled and be more upfront about the fact that employees will need to work with multiple groups. If you have an employee in an unfamiliar position, try to be patient.