The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 3, 2019

Found 13 reviews

3.1
David K. Miles
  1. "Voted best places to work!"

Current Employee - Current RN

I have been working at The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh full-time

Pros

For those who are truly passionate about the kids and the care, this is a great place to be and work The reason we all go to work there every day is for the amazing kids we serve. It is a privilege to take care of the children!

Cons

Limited parking, no food services on weekends or holidays.

Advice to Management

Although the organization is going through so much change, as long as the focus, at every level, remains the children, then you cant go wrong.

The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh2017-10-30
  2. "Job review"

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My manager is amazing and make sure we are on task and not thrown under the bus by others

Cons

we do not get paid enough for what we do.

Advice to Management

better pay.

The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh2019-01-03
  3. "Great place"

I worked at The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh full-time

Pros

Helping children. Benefits are good Flexible with time, understanding of employee needs

Cons

Nonprofit so low pay Seems to be some favoritism

The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh2018-05-18

"Nurses Dream Job in Rehab"

I worked at The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh full-time

Pros

I have seen some great care done at The Children's Institute from my nurse peers, therapies, etc. It is a great environment to work. I have had some great experiences watching patient's improve and heal. I would highly recommend working at this great place. The staff and managers work together to improve the culture and patient care every day.

Cons

The cafeteria is not open on weekends because it is a small place.

The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh2017-10-23

"Rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Staff Therapist in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

I have worked worked here for 4+ years and still enjoy coming to work everyday. The patients are the best part, as each employee really has a hand in making a diffence and helping them progress and transition to home. I think the teamwork amongst all departments are what contributes to helping our patients be successful in their recovery. There is room for professional growth and as well as advancement here. It is...

Cons

Parking can be a challenge, but it is free and there are other options.

The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh2017-10-24

"Drowning Company"

I worked at The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh full-time

Pros

Patients are amazing and prove that anything is possible.

Cons

Current staff do not provide the best care for the patients. Immature staff with minimal experience, which makes me fear for future patient care. Bullying taking place by management, with no sense of community. You cannot trust your fellow employees, some will make up lies in order to get you in trouble. No help from management. They instill the sense of fear, inhibiting you from seeking any guidance from them.

Advice to Management

Advice to CEO. Seek removal of current management staff. They are not providing positive growth for the company.

The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh2017-10-25

"Unfair, Unreliable, and Incredibly Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The patients are the only Pro.

Cons

Management is one of the biggest issues. There is a select group of individuals who bully all of the nurses, Healthcare workers, and other RT's into keeping quiet and not speaking up for what is right. They tell you to your face there is no seniority for nurses, there is no room for growth, and they lie on a daily basis. There is no respect for the employees on the inpatient units, the patients are not put first like...

Advice to Management

Take a look beyond what is right in front of you. Take a look at your so called "leaders." Start over new with people who care and who are dedicated to your organization instead of themselves. Find people (since you have lost all of the amazing ones) who will follow your core values instead of pushing out those who stand up for what is right. Find the true bullies and make TCI a better work environment for all.

The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh2017-10-25

"**Nurses BEWARE**"

I worked at The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-The pediatric physician and the physician's assistant that works closely with him are friendly, humble, and they treat nurses as equals.

Cons

Unfortunately, management has been the downfall for the nursing department for years. There have been some amazing nurses that I have worked with that have left because of management. Staffing is unsafe and getting worse due to management making up fake accusations to get multiple nurses fired. Pay is horrible. Nurses feel alone and unable to express concerns to management because they will retaliate. Nurses that leave...

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and recognize that the nurses are not the problem....the management team is.

The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh2017-10-11

"Toxic environment for nurses"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Rewarding to know that every day in some small way you have made a positive difference to a child's life.

Cons

Unprofessional management team, very unapproachable. Nurses have nobody to go to with concerns. Staffing is unsafe most of the time. They have lost a lot of great nurses and will continue to unless someone realizes that management IS the main problem.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and approachable, listen to your staff.

The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh2017-10-02
    • "Great organization that doesn't appreciate its staff"

Former Employee - Teacher's Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The Children's Institute has a wonderful mission of serving individuals and families with special needs, or circumstances. The organization as a whole is great for the community and those it serves.

Cons

Employees are paid poorly, they are treated like children and not the responsible, educated adults that they are. The company wants to micromanage their employees. The company has three distinct services and none of the separate units work in conjunction with each other. Favoritism plays a huge role in advancement.

Advice to Management

Reward good employees, pay your staff for the overwhelming amount of work that you expect from them and cut them a break. They are devoted to serving the children and families, so trust them to do so and stop treating them like high school kids who are trying to cut class.

The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh2017-03-06