The Children's Museum of Indianapolis Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeffrey H. Patchen

"An amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing. Who wouldn't love to go to work every day at the world's best children's museum? I enjoy working with my co-workers every day. We have a close knit department.

Cons

The only con for me is my daily commute to and from work. I seriously don't have anything bad to say about my job. Sometimes I can't believe I get paid to work there.

Advice to Management

The executive team for the museum is an amazing group. I never feel like they don't have the staff's best interest at heart.

2. "Generally good employer"

Former Employee - Web and Mobile Applications Developer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Web and Mobile Applications Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Solid benefits. Great works schedule. My department leaders director and VP were fantastic!

Cons

Top level of the organization micromanages. Observed some poor treatment of employees by the president. Pay for my position was a little low.

"Perfect culture if you can ignore the typical museum bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Interpretation in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Interpretation in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Bureaucracy is THICK in this institution but the day-to-day interaction is sunshine and rainbows. If you plan to stay for a year or less, you will love it!

Cons

The current president is known for an explosive temper and if you don't think that will affect your part-time or other removed-from-contact role, you're likely wrong. The red carpet rolls where ever he goes and months of researched planning can go down the drain on his whim.

The people who work there are great but there is a serious tendency to isolate entire lifestyles within the building. This means that cliques form, gossip abounds, and people become very protective over receiving public credit. Its a fun high school, but it's a high school.

None of this is relevant for a new employee. Everything will be brilliant for the first year or so. Save this post and re-read at that time.

Advice to Management

Give orders when it is time to give orders but lend an empathetic ear when it is need. Ignore the gossip around your employees and co-workers and think about what is best environment for them to be successful.

"Above Average Place of Employment"

Former Employee - Interpretation Floor Staff in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Interpretation Floor Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*If you're on the floor, the kids can be pretty entertaining and you can help create some very memorable experiences.

*The health insurance for full-time staff (single people, at least) is very well priced and covers so much.

*No two days are alike so things aren't static and boring.

*Guests remember you and make sure to check out what you're doing around the building from day to day.

*Staff discount in museum store & food court, plus a free membership to the museum to share with family and friends.

Cons

*Room for advancement out of entry-level positions is extremely difficult, even when you are more than qualified.

*Full-time hourly pay is still low enough that you'll qualify for 75-90% of financial assistance off your medical bills, even with health insurance.

*A lot of managers are placed/promoted by tenure, instead of by skills or experience, so you get some very rocky leadership in certain departments.

*Never being paid for overtime hours, even though there were always opportunities for working above & beyond scheduled hours.

*Doing managerial level work without any extra compensation.

*Depending on department, management can be very biased against females.

Advice to Management

*Don't overlook the qualities that hourly staff brings to the table. They are people who are implementing the vision and goals of the museum, yet they are treated the worst with their hourly pay and work hours.

"Fantastic intern experience, difficult to obtain full-time work"

Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent mentors, challenging and relevant projects assigned. I learned a lot about different areas of work and how cube life is different from how I expected.

Cons

It's difficult to get hired without extremely specialized experience. HR was not that helpful and encouraging, it's been challenging getting the type of experience that they encouraged me to get.

7. "HR Intern"

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Woodstock, GA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Woodstock, GA

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis (Less than a year)

Pros

The Children's Museum of Indianapolis offered many benefits in health and wellness, counseling, professional development seminars, and different things to do around the city for free or for a reduced price. It was a fun environment for everyone involved

Cons

There is no pay for interns and the pay that you are given if a full time employee is okay, but not great.

8. "Great Professional Development"

Former Employee - Gallery Facilitator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Gallery Facilitator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis (More than a year)

Pros

My time at the museum was full of great training opportunities that have helped my in my future positions. This museum is a great example of positive company culture and fantastic management.

Cons

You have to be "on" all day. You share a lot of the same spaces with guests, so there is not much separatiion between employee areas and the parts ot the museum that are open to the public.

Advice to Management

Allow floor staff the opportunity to give input into programming and exhibit design. It can be very frustrating to be the person that will be in the space leading activities everyday and to have no one ask for your opinions.

9. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time

Pros

A very positive atmosphere to work in. Generally, the staff here easily see the magic of the place. Must like children and families. Also, teachers and students. And customer service is a strong focus!

Cons

One must be a team player to work here. Also change is a constant, so everyone must be adaptable.

Advice to Management

Everyone is important, including those who are new. No two people learn the same way, so training should be geared to the best way someone learns. Staff will be more excited to tackle something new if information about it is shared. Lack of information puts staff in a potential weird position. ADA requirements should be considered when developing a budget, so that equipment or materials can be purchased throughout the year to meet the requirements.

10. "Wonderful Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Manager in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Manager in Fishers, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis (Less than a year)

Pros

Just an amazing place to work! The Children's Museum staff is among the most talented in the area and the benefits are first class.

Cons

Nothing really to say here.

11. "Magically Rewarding Workplace"

Current Employee - Visitor Services Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Visitor Services Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great family focused museum with both history and hands-on for all.

Cons

Losing the planetarium is a tragedy.

Advice to Management

Communication is essential in employee retention.