The Children's Museum of Indianapolis Reviews

Updated Dec 9, 2020

4.0
The Children's Museum of Indianapolis President & CEO Jeffrey H. Patchen (no image)
Jeffrey H. Patchen
Pros
Cons
  • "low pay(in 4 reviews)

• "Room for advancement out of entry-level positions is extremely difficult, even when you are more than qualified(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Exceptional Organization"

Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Children’s Museum consists of many different departments and when you take the time to explore and get to know the people keeping the museum moving forward, you’ll find extraordinary individuals everywhere. Mostly creatives work here and by nature, a fun group to work alongside.

Cons

Have not experienced any negatives.

2. "Great work/life balance"

Former Employee - Visitor Services Operations Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very family oriented Set schedule for most part Very team oriented Great benefits Good salary for non profit industry

Cons

You only wear one hat. If you were hired for a specific department, there isn't opportunity for crossover. For example if I wanted to be a gallery guide but worked in the box office, that would probably not happen. There is opportunities to help your own department and wear several hats within that area. Limited time off during school breaks (because that is when they are busiest)

3. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time

Pros

Great Pay and Great People

Cons

None, This place is awesome!

4. "Great"

Current Employee - Member Service Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time

Pros

Great work environment. Great coworkers. Fair treatment

Cons

Low pay rate in the beginning

5. "Great"

Former Employee - Visitor Services Associate

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis part-time for more than a year

Pros

They care a lot about their staff

Cons

Low pay and disappointing choice of khakis

6. "."

Former Employee - Education Director in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time

Pros

Fun and exciting place to work

Cons

No room for advancement here

7. "Obnoxious rules but a lot of perks"

Former Employee - Visitor Services Associate

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learn new things, meet people from all around the world

Cons

A lot of pointless rules

8. "Benefits!"

Current Employee - Exhibit Fabricator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewarded for staying a good amount of time. Great benefits. Outgoing staff.

Cons

Little growth opportunity in some teams. HR is slow to help on issues. Hard to get pay increase.

Continue reading

"Great everyday staff, horrible leadership"

1.0
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The everyday staff that completes most of the work is wonderful...creative, friendly, hardworking, talented. The museum is a wonderful place in many respects.

Cons

Current leadership is a dictatorship and very abusive...verbally and emotionally. Little creative freedom is given to staff and talent is wasted. It's become a culture of reactive fear to the wrath of current leadership. Incredibly counterproductive and staff morale is consistently low. I truly hope new leadership comes in sometime soon to restore the museum once again to its true potential.

Continue reading

"Great company for stepping-stone experience, not a life role. Tyrant of a CEO."

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A majority of museum workers/my immediate coworkers were tireless employees; working for more than what they earned to show their dedication to the museum's mission. They were fun, intelligent, and fostered a work-ethic in me I am forever indebted to. ---- Stellar benefits. Wish I still had them, and I know they are useful for people with families.

Cons

The holistic downside to working at the museum was the CEO, Jeff P (at the time; unaware of current CEO status). This CEO inflicted a culture of fear over his directors, ensuing a trickle-down effect of quality-compromised work and "cover-your-bases" politics, no matter who had to be thrown under the bus or to the wolves. There were many admirable leaders there. Unfortunately, they had to go against their own professional advice and natural inclinations to appease a leader (or prevent him from outrage) who doesn't understand his audience at all. Despite not having direct experience with the CEO, I believe the encounters I've heard of him verbally harassing his employees and, at times, crossing the line into physical harassment. The fear he has inflicted upon his employees are the reason he's kept his position. It's a shame, and I'm glad I left because of it. I'm sad I couldn't do more for the mission, but the overlying nature of the company was too much for my self-respect to endure. -------- Lastly, there's not a ton of room to grow. With the progression of technology and skillset development, the younger people more than qualified for management positions will see themselves there for years doing the managerial work without the title/compensation respective to it.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 45 English Reviews