The Children's Place Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 110 reviews)

• staffing: not enough, small team makes it hard to plan vacations so your work life balance is def (in 37 reviews)

1. "Company Review"

Former Employee - Management in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Management in Paramus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is always something to do. Your day goes by fast because of how fast paced it is. If you love to be around kids this is the company to work for. The clothes are super cute and it's always exciting to see the new designs for the the next season.

Cons

Because of the constant change with floor moves and promos you can feel overwhelmed. The time lines can feel impossible to meet. The company wants you to engage with the customer, but sometimes that can feel hard to do because of the work load.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to to create more reasonable time lines for work load. That way customers can have the attention they deserve.

2. "Waste of Time"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Made great friends, worked around my school schedule, flexible hours.

Cons

Horrible pay, Horrible raises, Store managers do nothing, no future in this company

Advice to Management

Store managers need to do more other then sit in the back room talking on there cell phones. When an associate comes to them with a problem or a situation it is not addressed at all. New coming employees have not been interviewed properly or barley interviewed at all they are not trained or told what to do by the manager. Corporate really needs to review there store managers and see if they really are qualified to be a manager at all. Other then that i love my associate friends and have accomplished a great deal on my own working with this company.

3. "I have experience folding clothes and do anything there need"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My best reason to work here is first I need s job and I like to work The must on the children's clothes I like doing that job is nice working

Cons

My Challenges of working is I have experience folding clothes putting them close on the places recognize helping the customers with everything need etc

Advice to Management

I bay clothes for my kids and children place I love working on that store

"EUGHHHH"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only thing I can think of is the PTO.

Cons

Each year major lay offs are the only way the company stays afloat. If you have a soul, do NOT work here--you will NOT be successful. You will be constantly treated like garbage and blamed for literally anything that goes wrong.

Advice to Management

Clean house of management--not the people actually doing the work.

"Stay away!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summer early Fridays.
    If you have kids, discounted clothing
    Location... if you are in NJ, easy drive and free parking

Cons

No vision in technology leadership.
    too bureaucratic... very hard to get anything done
    Too many management consultants. Employees have no decision making power.

7. "System Administrator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

Pros

Talented Colleagues and they are always helpful to mentor

Cons

Too much work and too few people. They do not pay overtime but they are getting better at hiring.

"Designer"

Current Employee - Designer in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Designer in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There isn't one I can think of. It's the most horrible job and I couldn't say one positive thing about it.

Cons

Do not take a job here!!!! It is the most horrible place to work. In all my experience I've never experienced such a hostile work environment especially in the girls graphic department. I've never came on Glassdoor to write a complaint because I've been pretty happy in all my previous jobs and I've been in the industry for awhile but if I could help anyone trying to decide if they want to accept a job here I want to try. They will offer you a lot of money as their incentive to get you in and then will force you to sign a contract so you really can't leave. They know how miserable it is and how often people quit and they want to make sure they can force you to stay. All the money in the world isn't worth the way they make you feel. A normal week is 60+ hours and if you try to leave before 7pm the girls graphic manager will yell at you and tell you that you didn't ask her permission. She thinks she owns us and she can work you like in a sweat shop. Management is horrible. It
    Is such a hostile work environment and HR knows about it because of the numerous complaints and have not done a thing to change it in the past year and a half. do They only care about the money they are making and not the people that are killing themselves. There are no vacation days allowed. The manager will approve your days then when it's time for your vacation she will tell you that you have to come in. I've never in my life have been in a situation like this and today after they told me that the company making money is way more important then taking us out of the hostile working environment I decided to Take myself out of the situation. I hope I can help anyone that is trying to make a decision. Also they promise you can "work from home" and they let you for the first couple of weeks to get you in and then all of a sudden it's like she never agreed to it. And you end up coming in everyday.

Advice to Management

No advice could help them.

9. "Not great"

Former Employee - ASM in New York, NY
    Former Employee - ASM in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Customers were great and other associates were too

Cons

Workload is crazy with no payroll hours

Advice to Management

Be resonable with work load

"Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. The talented ones, not the corporate puppeteers.

Cons

The no talent joke of an SVP who knows nothing about design and whose only talent is advising Gap rejects who are far worse.

Advice to Management

Be original, creative, and most importantly, authentic. This failing business while implode on itself.

"Horrible Corporate work Environment"

Current Employee - Planning and Allocation in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Planning and Allocation in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pro's really. The only thing is that you are tied to many tasks and can have more than one responsibility. Never a dull moment, not in a good way either.

Cons

Where do I begin. The hours are so unpredictable. Workload is all over the place. Absolutely no work life balance. Mistakes can easily occur due to the amount of changes through out the day. Management gossips about new hires and publicly puts them down if they are not catching on fast enough for them. No proper training. The company gives no incentives for working here. The managers or directors are greedy, selfish, sneaky, and fake. ALOT of people have either transfered to other departments, quit, or got fired. The CEO places fear in everyone and causes VP's, director's to micromanage because they are afraid that anyone would make a mistake. You can't take vacation when you want to, so often times you would lose out on the days if you don't take them whenever you can. If I could I would quit. Don't work here at the Secaucus corporate location. The recruiters will feed you lies about the "benefits," but really there are none.

Advice to Management

Train and utilize your employees in a professional manner. Embrace mistakes because it helps everyone learn. Stop placing fear in people and definitely stop gossiping and talking mess about new hires who are clueless about what nightmare of a comapny/TCP really is. It's not the new hires fault if they can't catch on, perhaps it's something wrong with the way the company "trains" and the lies that was told to new hires on interviews. They leave out the fact that you have to work weekends sometimes, you can't take vacation whenever you want, the late night hours til about 10 PM. Organize the workload, update the systems and control how the work is distributed in a organized efficient manner. Manage the amount of changes and just stick to one plan, so there won't be any confusion. Get rid of people who don't add value to this company and cherish those who work hard.

Showing 156 of 1,286 reviews