The Children's Place Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 110 reviews)

• staffing: not enough, small team makes it hard to plan vacations so your work life balance is def (in 37 reviews)

"You cannot be a Store Manager in this company and have the time to train and develop your people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

Customers love our product quality which ultimately makes it easy to convert mom to a forever shopper. Decent associate discount. Management staff immediately gets over 17 days Vacation time, plus extra sick days. AM gets comp days for certain holidays.

Cons

As Store Manager you do not get paid over time. The company is cutting back on Payroll all the time so you as a non exempt store manager are required to pick up the workload, causing you to be over worked and underappreciated. You do not get the time to train your staff in a non hostile environment. Everything has to be done on the sales floor because you are 2/2 coverage at all times. Usually even on weekends. You will become a manager with many hats and it's hard to juggle ALL of the tasking the comes with TCP and still focus on your customers.

Advice to Management

I would definitely not take this job if you have other options. But, if this is your only choice I would tell you to be prepared to work from off the clock alot if you want to really impress your superior. If you are someone whose opportunity is time management... DO NOT take this role. It is not a job where you van learn time management because you will NEVER catch up. You will constantly be chasing your own tail. Find staff members with integrity because it is easy to get away with stuff through this company. Make sure you focus on coaching in the moment because that's the only training you can do here. No such thing as a sit down meeting with this company and go over things. Its always a headache no matter what day of the week is.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's always something new everyday keeping you refreshed and on your toes. Whether its floorset, price changes, or visual updates.

Cons

Not nearly enough payroll hours to properly train and develop each associate. The company demands a ton in such a small time frame, with little to no help with a solution to get to the finish line.

"Designer"

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There isn't one I can think of. It's the most horrible job and I couldn't say one positive thing about it.

Cons

Do not take a job here!!!! It is the most horrible place to work. In all my experience I've never experienced such a hostile work environment especially in the girls graphic department. I've never came on Glassdoor to write a complaint because I've been pretty happy in all my previous jobs and I've been in the industry for awhile but if I could help anyone trying to decide if they want to accept a job here I want to try. They will offer you a lot of money as their incentive to get you in and then will force you to sign a contract so you really can't leave. They know how miserable it is and how often people quit and they want to make sure they can force you to stay. All the money in the world isn't worth the way they make you feel. A normal week is 60+ hours and if you try to leave before 7pm the girls graphic manager will yell at you and tell you that you didn't ask her permission. She thinks she owns us and she can work you like in a sweat shop. Management is horrible. It
    Is such a hostile work environment and HR knows about it because of the numerous complaints and have not done a thing to change it in the past year and a half. do They only care about the money they are making and not the people that are killing themselves. There are no vacation days allowed. The manager will approve your days then when it's time for your vacation she will tell you that you have to come in. I've never in my life have been in a situation like this and today after they told me that the company making money is way more important then taking us out of the hostile working environment I decided to Take myself out of the situation. I hope I can help anyone that is trying to make a decision. Also they promise you can "work from home" and they let you for the first couple of weeks to get you in and then all of a sudden it's like she never agreed to it. And you end up coming in everyday.

Advice to Management

No advice could help them.

"the pay is terrible"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% off discount but but customers can get that too so not that great
    Flexible schedule
    Cute clothes
    Time 1/2 on holidays

Cons

Pay
    Low hours
    Customers can be rude and destroy the store
    The pay is really bad
    Takes so long to get a raise
    Small raise
    Will pick you apart just to get a raise

Advice to Management

Raise pay and give us a full time job also you want us the dress like moms but how are mothers supposed to pay bills only getting paid 7.25 the pay is terrible! I had 4yrs in retail prior to working here and I still started at $7.25 I also will not be receiving a raise till 2yrs later also it's not a part time job you might get 8hrs for a whole week but nothing over 15hrs unless you are a lead

"Horrible Corporate work Environment"

Current Employee - Planning and Allocation in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Planning and Allocation in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pro's really. The only thing is that you are tied to many tasks and can have more than one responsibility. Never a dull moment, not in a good way either.

Cons

Where do I begin. The hours are so unpredictable. Workload is all over the place. Absolutely no work life balance. Mistakes can easily occur due to the amount of changes through out the day. Management gossips about new hires and publicly puts them down if they are not catching on fast enough for them. No proper training. The company gives no incentives for working here. The managers or directors are greedy, selfish, sneaky, and fake. ALOT of people have either transfered to other departments, quit, or got fired. The CEO places fear in everyone and causes VP's, director's to micromanage because they are afraid that anyone would make a mistake. You can't take vacation when you want to, so often times you would lose out on the days if you don't take them whenever you can. If I could I would quit. Don't work here at the Secaucus corporate location. The recruiters will feed you lies about the "benefits," but really there are none.

Advice to Management

Train and utilize your employees in a professional manner. Embrace mistakes because it helps everyone learn. Stop placing fear in people and definitely stop gossiping and talking mess about new hires who are clueless about what nightmare of a comapny/TCP really is. It's not the new hires fault if they can't catch on, perhaps it's something wrong with the way the company "trains" and the lies that was told to new hires on interviews. They leave out the fact that you have to work weekends sometimes, you can't take vacation whenever you want, the late night hours til about 10 PM. Organize the workload, update the systems and control how the work is distributed in a organized efficient manner. Manage the amount of changes and just stick to one plan, so there won't be any confusion. Get rid of people who don't add value to this company and cherish those who work hard.

7. "Zero Stars"

Current Contractor - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The Children's Place as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing. Great, quality product you can really get behind. Amazing benefits including PTO & sick time. Better than average technology at the registers. #1 Children's retailer in the US with stores expanding world wide including Puerto Rico, Canada, & India.

Cons

Un-realistic expectations from upper management. Time-frames are impossible and workload is outrageous on a regular basis. Typical customer-service cons; customer's always right, yes I can, policy is policy (unless you get loud and unruly), and parents who don't watch their kids while shopping. Online offers better deals than stores and returns from ecomm go against your daily sales but management wants to know why you're not making sales goals. Never able to use benefit time because there's blackout, workload or other stores requiring help (and it doesn't carry over so you lose what you haven't used). Loss prevention is a joke because 25% of your yearly appraisal is based on shrink but you can't do anything about thieves with the policy restrictions and base coverage. Elimination of all customer coupons unless they have the store credit card. Alot of new managers, DMs, & Regionals who are unwilling to listen to associates who have been with the company longer and know what works in their building is better than "what right looks like".

Advice to Management

Work a holiday weekend.
    Maybe you should do an episode of "Undercover Boss" to see reality. And DON'T flood the store with payroll first. Actually walk-in and see what every day looks like.
    Come to a store on a Monday night and be the associate to see what gets done on base coverage, NOT as the third person or extra hand.
    Bring back coupons and run same deals in stores & online.

"Sales Lead"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Get to work with amazing people

Cons

The sales lead is expected to do way too much. When I was offered the job she did not tell me all he requirements that came along with it. We basically do the same thing as a manger but get paid less. Training is a joke. Today was my first day training and she rushed through the whole thing. I will be held accountable if I mess up even though instructions were poor. I am truly thinking about quitting even though I've been there for a day. It is sad that I already learned about the negative on my first day.

Advice to Management

Pay people more because it is a lot you are asking from us.

"Needs to Communicate more effectively to the field."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product! Great DM that buffers a lot of the craziness that comes from HQ and invests in her SMs.

Cons

Payroll is unrealistic based on workload given especially with Weekly Updates. Communication from HQ to stores is terrible. Everything is last minute and on the fly with no explanation.

Advice to Management

You need to appreciate your teams and respect them for all have to juggle. After all, they are the ones that are actually making things happen.

"Designer"

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation time (although there was never an ok time to take one) unlimited sick days. Some of the people are great to work with, which tend to make the work day more tolerable.

Cons

Management and treatment of employees. There's a huge lack of respect, nepotism towards the employees and a severe limitation for designers and graphic designers to be creative. There's an incredible turnover rate and frequent layoffs that creates very little to no job security. Everyone comes in to work the next morning hoping that their chair is still at heir desk.

Advice to Management

If they would listen- or care, it would be worth voicing, but that's not the case here.

"IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

They do corporate parties in the cafe twice to three times a yesr

Cons

Where do i start... Bad management, constant turn over ( people leaving/fired) at all levels. No work/life balance, very long hours.

Advice to Management

stop and think why people are leaving!!! They are taking all knowledge with them!!!

Showing 139 of 1,287 reviews