The Children's Place Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 30% off employee discount on top of the sales (in 113 reviews)

• Friendly atmosphere, room for advancement, flexible schedule (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 115 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is hard when you have a family (in 41 reviews)

1. "Hated every minute of it"

I worked at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

There was nothing good about it

Cons

Other employees were rude to customers

2. "Not that Great"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -Flexible dress code
    -Ok discount if you have kids

Cons

-Angry Customers
    -Credit Card sales = hours, so the top associate with the most cards gets the most hours.

3. "Don't depend on it"

Former Employee - Associate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that you aren't unemployed.

Cons

Bad hours, sometimes only 4 a week. Managers treat associates badly. Let go with one days notice. Cockroach issue. Extremely unorganized.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who WANT to train their new hires, or at least friendlier people that don't roll their eyes at every question.

"Ex Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Franklin, TN

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. This company sucks at treating its employees well, they really don't care at all. There is zero work/life balance. If I could give this company no stars I would. I worked here for over 4 years so I feel my opinion is pretty valid

Cons

Tons. Upper management sucks, they have no clue what it's like day in and day out in one of their stores, they are condescending and not helpful at all. No overtime even if you have to put in 50 hours to get stuff done. Number are all that matter here.

Advice to Management

Have real expectations. Try to understand what your stores look like and how they operate daily. PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES OVERTIME! I don't know how many weeks I had to tweek a schedule to make sure nobody went over 40 hours. I was often covering others shifts which meant I couldn't work my shifts later in the week. More than once I had to come in and close on a Friday or Saturday and not get paid for it. No other management could work, somebody would call out, etc. and I'd already be at 40 hours, but what are you gonna do? Somebody had to close the store.

5. "Great Store but with corporate flaws"

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

Great employee discount, flexible with scheduling, dependent on store great team ofmpople to work with.

Cons

The company puts so much effort into changing the floor plans every two weeks, throwing away marketing that doesn't even get recycled but they can't fork out some dough to provide the stores with better garbage bags or better cleaning equipment other then a freaking old feather duster. The fact that also associates aren't allowed to work over 20 hours without corporate approvals is insane. Also that the store are so tiny but the managers are made to hire a million people so associates only get like 8 hours a week when split up over all the employees.

6. "Assistant store manager"

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very few I can think of. Vacation time was pretty good for retail.

Cons

Not a good company to work for . Too many floor moves with no help. Customers would get upset that they couldn't find anything and yell at you. Store closed did nothing to help us relocate.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people. We were a good team. I saw the numbers were down but no upper management came to help solve why. They came and told us we were all out of a job. No help in relocating us or didn't seem to care. At least buy us lunch on the day we closed the store. I have no respect for upper management after being treated that way

7. "Don't come!"

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

All I can think about is PTO.

Cons

Save your time and go look for other job opportunity. People do talk behind your back.. Whispering and gossiping in the office are a trend. The culture is not improving, nobody cares about you and management ONLY cares about their advancement. Not a positive environment. This is not a place for you to grow professionally. Look somewhere else for a more supportive workplace.

Advice to Management

This culture is toxic and it needs a lot of help!

"Associate"

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Almost everybody besides a few that I've worked with have been very nice, friendly, and understanding. My coworkers became friends.
    Good experience dealing with the public, gave me confidence in the work I do there.

Cons

The management does not care about the associates or key holders. They only pay attention/ care for the SM and ASM. When then DM pays a visit they never ask the associates how things are going, if there anything they could do to help, etc. they expect so much to get done for so little pay. Their payroll is so terrible that associates will get at most 20 hours a week, and associates are never given full time positions. The customers are ruthless and complain over a shirt that is 1.99 is "too expensive" and will literally argue over price adjusting by one penny. I could go on and on but I'd be here all night.

Advice to Management

Offer better pay because the amount of stress and pressure put on ALL the employees (not just managers, associates included) is rediculous which is why the turn over for this company is so incredibly high. Within the past year there has been turn over of over 9 managers at my store and 10+ associates. There's a reason for it and it's time this company meets the demands of these hard working people.

"Horrible Company & Management @ Dayton Mall location"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After change in management I honestly have none

Cons

This company only cares about the business.. not the employees. They don't give enough payroll for what they expect. They don't pay enough for the amount of work they give you. It's a miserable company to work for. Dreadful to go into the work place. Working full time means NO life outside of thework place.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring just anyone for management positions. You literally don't even need experience anymore to work as a manager at TCP. That's why nothing ever gets done or gets done right. Ever since new management came across it's not even work anymore .. they're so unprofessional with how they handle things and the stuff they say about other employees to other employees as well as infront of customers. Also STORE MANAGERS SHOULD CLOSE 1-2x a week! They'll tell you you can't have a first shift position as they
    Make the schedules and do that for themselves.

10. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee discount. Friendly coworkers. I work in a large store with a large back room. Nothing else comes to mind.

Cons

Everything. No one in a management position I have meet knows what they are doing. The designs are ugly! Return policy sucks.

Advice to Management

Ask employees what sells best in the stores. Don't let your employees over hear you talking crap about them.

Showing 369 of 1,377 reviews