The Children's Place Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 110 reviews)

• staffing: not enough, small team makes it hard to plan vacations so your work life balance is def (in 37 reviews)

1. "Department store work"

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Midland, TX

Pros

Pay, customers, associates, discounts,
    Other than that this companys culture is difficult if you like your life not job for you. Will spend 50-70 hours a week in store.

Cons

Shipment,Stock,paperwork,payroll, no life balance, little to no training, unnessary floorsets and updates.

Advice to Management

Transfer old clothes out to make room for new clothes. Stores would be so much easier to maintain and sale thru. Might actually get done with some of the shipment and paper work if 10 bundles of the same shirt wasnt sent out in 4 diffrent boxes.

2. "Worst paid job"

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job is easy and had advancement opportunities. Lots of paid time off time offered and health and dental benefits are available.

Cons

Lots of restructuring. Product turnover is too quick. Pay is terrible and company shows no compassion for the little guy.

Advice to Management

People stay when they're paid well and appreciated. Show them that respect and your turnover will decrease and you will see the profitability you hope for. Actions speak louder of words; walk the walk if you talk the talk.

3. "Starter Mgmt"

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good merchandise quality and quantity

Cons

Great for young and wanting to get into leadership, if you have store management experience stay away. No payroll and you will spend most of your day working freight or running a register

"Company need work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount if you have kids.

Cons

Discount can't be shared
    Company doesn't invest in employees or the high performance stores.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees because they are the ones dealing with the customers all the time and know what works.

"Management Nightmare"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Canton, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Canton, GA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very sweet in-store management. Hours were flexible. There was wiggle room for moving up in the store. I was promoted within just a few months.

Cons

There was no sense of security in the store. I was instructed by upper management not to call the police during a check fraud situation (but I did it anyway and was never thanked for having a check fraud ring put in jail). The management outside of the store is ridiculous. They have no idea what's going on inside their stores. They force you to change the store every other week. It's bizarre; I've worked other retail jobs and never moved merchandise as much as I did at TCP.

Advice to Management

Stores should only change merchandising positions every quarter, not every other week. Get to know your employees and understand just what they're dealing with every day in the store.

"Beware."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company for a first job. It can be fun depending on management and i guess discount is okay

Cons

If you dont have kids your not suppose to let family use it. Management only thinks about there self's not for the better of the employees in there stores. The company doesn't put money into there store only the newer ones.

Advice to Management

Train mangers better, treat employee like humans

8. "Assistant store manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in North Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in North Lauderdale, FL

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, the company only care about the company not the employees

Cons

Everything . Not a good company to work for

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

9. "Was great until company changed and made pay cuts"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mount Prospect, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mount Prospect, IL

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My staff..I was lucky and worked with some great people. Our DM is very kind and really does try to care and understand. Most stores in our area are low-volume, so work/life balance is really good. Discount is great if you have kids to shop for.

Cons

The company made a lot of payroll changes in the 4 & 1/2 years I was there. I started off as an ASM and pay was live-able however, in 2015-2016 the company replaced the ASM role for all low volume stores under 1MIL with a full time sales lead position. Basically the same job responsibilities with a way less pay. Sale Associates could only be hired a minimum wage which is currently $8.25 here.(max was $9.00) Part time Sales Leads could only be hired on at $10.50. It was really sad watching people leave due to not being able to get paid more. Hard to staff quality employees instead you get slackers which affects producing sales. Luckily, minimum wage is going up in our area so maybe that will help them. Don't bother taking the Full-time sales lead role unless you want hours and are ok with a low wage & responsibilities. I only lasted as long as I did due to a few great co-workers & good relationships I had built, otherwise I would of left sooner.

Advice to Management

Just pay your employees more...when you have good quality workers you then see the difference in sales & goals/productivity. Don't let a store not have an ASM. Change the return policy for customers...it's a kid store. No receipt/no return is going to hurt in the long run. Do what other retailers do and use ID to limit how many no receipt returns they make. Fix the reward system..let the rewards show up on POS( easier for customer). It's obvious LP is a major problem within the company especially internal...shut down the stores in bad areas. Yes, they may bring money but if you focus on them so much and change return policies & procedures due to those type of stores you will only end up with those stores. The rest will fail.

10. "Not great"

Former Employee - ASM in New York, NY
    Former Employee - ASM in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Customers were great and other associates were too

Cons

Workload is crazy with no payroll hours

Advice to Management

Be resonable with work load

11. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Blaine, MN

I worked at The Children's Place (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros to working for the company.

Cons

Unethical management. Would not even interview people with disabilities. Called HR and they did nothing, not even investigate the issue.

Advice to Management

Check your store managers and keep them accountable.

Showing 285 of 1,285 reviews