The Children's Place Reviews | Glassdoor

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Pros
  • If you have kids they will be geared up with the latest fashion thanks to your employee discount (in 104 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and easy tasks (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 112 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is hard when you have a family (in 40 reviews)

"Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. The talented ones, not the corporate puppeteers.

Cons

The no talent joke of an SVP who knows nothing about design and whose only talent is advising Gap rejects who are far worse.

Advice to Management

Be original, creative, and most importantly, authentic. This failing business while implode on itself.

"over all job was aterrible experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Donaldsonville, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Donaldsonville, LA

I worked at The Children's Place (Less than a year)

Pros

the pay was okay and there was a few good incentives, such as gift cards, parties, and some other things. The work environment was a positive one

Cons

the was no order, no chain of command, lots of drama, not enough employees, poor managing. Managers weren't professional at all

Advice to Management

don't consider working for them. terrible

"Horrible Corporate work Environment"

Current Employee - Planning and Allocation in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Planning and Allocation in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pro's really. The only thing is that you are tied to many tasks and can have more than one responsibility. Never a dull moment, not in a good way either.

Cons

Where do I begin. The hours are so unpredictable. Workload is all over the place. Absolutely no work life balance. Mistakes can easily occur due to the amount of changes through out the day. Management gossips about new hires and publicly puts them down if they are not catching on fast enough for them. No proper training. The company gives no incentives for working here. The managers or directors are greedy, selfish, sneaky, and fake. ALOT of people have either transfered to other departments, quit, or got fired. The CEO places fear in everyone and causes VP's, director's to micromanage because they are afraid that anyone would make a mistake. You can't take vacation when you want to, so often times you would lose out on the days if you don't take them whenever you can. If I could I would quit. Don't work here at the Secaucus corporate location. The recruiters will feed you lies about the "benefits," but really there are none.

Advice to Management

Train and utilize your employees in a professional manner. Embrace mistakes because it helps everyone learn. Stop placing fear in people and definitely stop gossiping and talking mess about new hires who are clueless about what nightmare of a comapny/TCP really is. It's not the new hires fault if they can't catch on, perhaps it's something wrong with the way the company "trains" and the lies that was told to new hires on interviews. They leave out the fact that you have to work weekends sometimes, you can't take vacation whenever you want, the late night hours til about 10 PM. Organize the workload, update the systems and control how the work is distributed in a organized efficient manner. Manage the amount of changes and just stick to one plan, so there won't be any confusion. Get rid of people who don't add value to this company and cherish those who work hard.

5. "Nope..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Waldorf, MD

I worked at The Children's Place (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly customers, clean store every night

Cons

Management didn't care about personal health problems, cut hours for new girl who didn't know anything, harassment from store manager every single night as we closed.

Advice to Management

Hire good people...

6. "Run!"

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None, okay, the benefit package was great

Cons

The list is too long!

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO

"Empty promises, false future"

Former Employee - Full Time Lead in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Full Time Lead in Rochester, MN

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

The discount was very generous. And the merchandise is adorable. It's a very affordable cutell store

Cons

Upper management makes false promies to get you to do a better job. They do not respect you as a person

Advice to Management

We are not just workers. We deserve to be respected and not lied to constantly. Our futures are insecure there.

8. "hatred it"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Monaca, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Monaca, PA

Pros

Good chances to move up

Cons

Never saw the manager, really high ladder climb in the backroom just to restock, spent most pig the time refolding shirts

Advice to Management

This company likes the racks so full that they are hard to shop which less to more mess

"Even working in HR is a nightmare!"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Secaucus, NJ

Pros

Solid benefits- health, PTO and unlimited sick time. Nice office building with decent food options nearby (for those of us that don't pack our lunch).

Cons

Really challenging work environment that seemed to be very heavily effected by senior leadership that were doing the bidding of a crazy CEO. SVPs and VPs doing Manager level work based on direct orders from the CEO. Which meant that managers were doing the work of individual contributors and so on down the ladder.
    I was recruited to do this amazing job that never actually come true. It felt like a total bait and switch. The commute to the Secaucus offices from NYC was really challenging. Nothing was ever on time, coming or going so I was late for meetings and couldn't get back into the city to make firm plans (dinner or workout class) as nothing about the commute timing was guaranteed.
    While I was there, a number of small departmental only or larger company wide layoffs happened, and since I have left, I have heard about wave after wave of layoffs, letting go good employees.

Advice to Management

While I was at a company-wide meeting the CEO crowed her pleasure about turning over 80% of the staff during her first 4 years there- it was disgusting- literally turned my stomach.
    I say oust the CEO and start fresh. No doubt there are still pockets of passionate TCP Employees that would be thrilled at the chance to work toward rebuilding the company after the CEO's reign of terror is over.

"Don't do it"

Former Employee - Associate Sourcing Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Sourcing Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good benefits and PTO
    -Nice people to work with
    -Company is doing really well for retail
    -Great commute if you live in NJ

Cons

-Horrible work environment
    -no updated systems
    -Zero work life balance. If you work in souring you will work very late hours.
    -leadership is all over the place

Advice to Management

Train and support your associates.

"Way too many updates"

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only thing is the employee ...there's nothing else really good about this place...hours are not so good full time is 39....

Cons

Too many updayes, by the time you finish the one that comes over on Monday they throw another one on Thursday and then sunday.

Advice to Management

Share the bonus, you're not the only one that works

Showing 349 of 1,310 reviews