The Children's Place Reviews | Glassdoor

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated April 27, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 110 reviews)

• staffing: not enough, small team makes it hard to plan vacations so your work life balance is def (in 37 reviews)

1. "Sales Lead"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Bossier City, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Bossier City, LA

Pros

Time goes by quickly, Floor sets, time goes by quickly, shipment!

Cons

Where do I start.....Store. 1815 on louisiana boardwalk is terrible....... Poor management , poor hours, call outs, a lot of responsibility but with low pay...... Very high turn over in that store.....

Advice to Management

Do better!!!!

2. "Lakewood, CA location"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lakewood, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lakewood, CA

Pros

There were no pros of working here.

Cons

Manager's were unhappy with their position and it showed which was very unmotivating working there.

3. "Awfull company they pay nothing"

Former Employee - Lead in Sewell, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead in Sewell, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place (Less than a year)

Pros

Maybe flexible hrs, but not all the time because everything is about there needs. Nothing is good about it..

Cons

The company over work all employees and managers..the store manager at my location was awfull..they put one manager and one associate all the time..have to do shipment, customer service, been a manager, cas hierarchy, and also be loss prevention because they don't have security guard..this company don't care about employees

"Great team/Horrible pay."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesquite, TX

I worked at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

Great team-workers. Very organized.

Cons

Pay is horrible - $7.25 an hour! Cashiers are out dated, system is slow.

Advice to Management

How do you expect people to stay if you don't pay them well?

"ZERO STARS FROM ME!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro getting a paycheck. The work isn't hard at all. You're in a cool environment and I mean temperature wise.

Cons

You're lucky if you work 20 hours a week. There are two black people in the store, I am one of them. There is a white girl and a Spanish girl. Everyone schedule is posted on the same chart. How come me and the other Black girl consistently get 8 hours a week, but the Spanish girl and the white girl consistently get 18 or 20 hours a week and allow them to stay to get more hours? Today, I had 4 hours. I forced to clock out 1 hour early because someone else clocked in. What the hell? There is definitely a lot of favoritism. At the end of the shift, the managers don't help clean anything. The white girl and the Spanish girl goes to the back and laugh and play and eat while we have responsibility of cleaning the bathroom and folding clothes and sweeping the floor. I put in my two weeks notice and I'm glad. Who creates a business to hire people so they can work 3 hours a day or 8 hours a week?

Advice to Management

Check in on your stores more often. Change the way the schedules are done.

"Sales Lead"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Fairfax, VA

I worked at The Children's Place (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome discount if you have kids.
    Semi-Flexible schedule.
    There is always something to do, so you are never bored.

Cons

Low Pay for the amount of work expected to be done.
    No formal training, because the company doesn't believe in training hours.
    Decisions constantly made on the fly by district and corporate staff, making it difficult to prepare.
    Highest turnover I have seen in any company.

Advice to Management

Find better district staff, and take time out of the busy and hectic day to make sure your employees feel comfortable.

8. "Zero Stars"

Current Contractor - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The Children's Place as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing. Great, quality product you can really get behind. Amazing benefits including PTO & sick time. Better than average technology at the registers. #1 Children's retailer in the US with stores expanding world wide including Puerto Rico, Canada, & India.

Cons

Un-realistic expectations from upper management. Time-frames are impossible and workload is outrageous on a regular basis. Typical customer-service cons; customer's always right, yes I can, policy is policy (unless you get loud and unruly), and parents who don't watch their kids while shopping. Online offers better deals than stores and returns from ecomm go against your daily sales but management wants to know why you're not making sales goals. Never able to use benefit time because there's blackout, workload or other stores requiring help (and it doesn't carry over so you lose what you haven't used). Loss prevention is a joke because 25% of your yearly appraisal is based on shrink but you can't do anything about thieves with the policy restrictions and base coverage. Elimination of all customer coupons unless they have the store credit card. Alot of new managers, DMs, & Regionals who are unwilling to listen to associates who have been with the company longer and know what works in their building is better than "what right looks like".

Advice to Management

Work a holiday weekend.
    Maybe you should do an episode of "Undercover Boss" to see reality. And DON'T flood the store with payroll first. Actually walk-in and see what every day looks like.
    Come to a store on a Monday night and be the associate to see what gets done on base coverage, NOT as the third person or extra hand.
    Bring back coupons and run same deals in stores & online.

"Sales Lead"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Get to work with amazing people

Cons

The sales lead is expected to do way too much. When I was offered the job she did not tell me all he requirements that came along with it. We basically do the same thing as a manger but get paid less. Training is a joke. Today was my first day training and she rushed through the whole thing. I will be held accountable if I mess up even though instructions were poor. I am truly thinking about quitting even though I've been there for a day. It is sad that I already learned about the negative on my first day.

Advice to Management

Pay people more because it is a lot you are asking from us.

"Needs to Communicate more effectively to the field."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product! Great DM that buffers a lot of the craziness that comes from HQ and invests in her SMs.

Cons

Payroll is unrealistic based on workload given especially with Weekly Updates. Communication from HQ to stores is terrible. Everything is last minute and on the fly with no explanation.

Advice to Management

You need to appreciate your teams and respect them for all have to juggle. After all, they are the ones that are actually making things happen.

11. "low pay and no room to grow"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lake George, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lake George, NY

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

20% discount on kids clothes

Cons

Caddy managers and supervisors, 15 hour days in summer, 20 hours a week in off season, low pay

Advice to Management

Promote within, work beside associates more, stop tolerating drama

Showing 341 of 1,287 reviews