The Children's Place Reviews | Glassdoor

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated April 19, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 110 reviews)

• staffing: not enough, small team makes it hard to plan vacations so your work life balance is def (in 37 reviews)

"Not a career company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of vacation time, 5 weeks plus sick time. Flexible if you are not full time. Retail always keeps you busy

Cons

As in any retail environment, weekends and holidays are a must.
    The only employees who can get any benefits are full time Store Manager and Assistant Manager. Associates can only start out at $7.25, and only get a raise once a year IF the store makes its sales goal, usually about $0.15 raise. Most stores don't get enough payroll hours to have more than 2 people working at once. Upper management does not care if anyone gets breaks. Low pay makes people unreliable, forcing people to have to work 12 hour shifts because someone doesn't show up for an assigned shift. It's basically impossible to get anyone fired unless they are stealing from the company. Don't get hired expecting to be trained extensively. The company's training program is nothing. Marketing is so confusing to customers, many many complaints.

Advice to Management

Think about your employees. Better appreciation will lead to better employees.

"store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, supportive DM, bonuses, great discount, and for me being an hourly store manager, I work just my 40 hours with no OT.

Cons

I have worked for TCP for over a decade. It has gone down hill dramatically. I don't know if this company is growing too big, too fast or what. But something has to change. First, hours. I know I run a small store, but give us hours to support the tons of visual moves you give us each and every week! You expect us to do this during store hours, then wonder why our conversion is down or we aren't getting good customer service scores. Then there are the promotions, both in store and online. Have consistency. Our customers aren't stupid. Have online and store pricing the same. When you promote things like "entire store 40% off, no exclusions" then have no exclusions. Don't do fine print at the bottom saying excludes shoes, new arrivals and sleepwear. That isn't ENTIRE store. Then we are left to deal with pissed off customers. And the return policy is a joke. Not customer friendly. People give gifts, and not everyone sends a gift receipt. Then the coupon and place cash issue. Bad business practice to have a customer earn place cash, then during redemption time have the entire website 50% off, but customers can't use the 50% off with their place cash. Then we are left to address customer concerns. Have a better hold time so customers can complain to you and not us. 30-45 minutes on hold is unacceptable. Respond to your Facebook comments, questions and concerns. Communicate with your employees and your customers. Tell employees why you don't do coupons anymore so we can answer customer complaints. We are the ones in the trenches, and we don't have answers for our customers. We get yelled at on a daily basis. So then we get in trouble because we have a bad attitude with customers when dealing with a corporate issue. We are tired and overworked.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your "teams" and customers. We deserve that much.

"Good people - crazy management"

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I was hired, it had a good group moral and support. I like the idea of providing a good product and a very reasonable price that helps families.

Cons

Management changed so it felt like we were whipsawed around. I also felt the CEO was very hypocritical.

Advice to Management

Have more concern for the employees and not just the bottom line.

5. "Flexible schedule, no benefits for part timers!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Paramus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexible schedule (good for students)
    - 30% discount (but sometimes customers get the same amount)
    - $1 per credit card open (not that much but better than nothing the first 3 years working there!)

Cons

- Rude management (fought with the store manager all the time, she was arrogant, rude, looked down on the employees and basically depressing going into work!)
    - No benefits at all for part-time workers (only managers got)
    - Low salaries, everyone basically makes minimum wage
    - 15 min break is unheard of even if it's a law

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like human being in order to avoid high turnover rate. Start giving some benefits including paid days off!

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Juan, PR

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and pay rates. Good work environment at store level. It is a good work to start in retail, as it force you the opportunity of manage brand, talent and operations at a management level.

Cons

No training hours at all. Level of micromanage too hight. Even with loyal and good performers managers. District Managers wants to micromanage every store at the point that want to execute Store Managers responsibility. District Managers can not identify the talent based on leadership styles.

Advice to Management

Know your business acumen and develop strategies to improve. Have a plan before District Manager develop strategies to implement to improve store and individual performance. Be the owner of your building.

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Corp Manager Level in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Corp Manager Level in Secaucus, NJ

Pros

Summer hours from Memorial Day through Labor Day, competitive salary, never a dull moment. Some people definitely care more than others, and work hard.

Cons

Long hours, poor work/life balance, unsupportive managers. High turnover means lack of clarity in roles, and too many new executives trying to put their own stamp on the business. Definite favoritism, and if you don't drink the KoolAid, you're out. Absolutely toxic environment, and they try to hide it behind shallow "culture building" events.

Advice to Management

Start focusing on retaining the good talent you already have. Stop bullying and stop playing favorites, because it's going to bite you in the butt. You don't fool anyone that works there.

"Okay."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellingham, WA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits like insurance, etc. Discounts on merchandise including clearance priced items

Cons

Long shift during holidays like black friday, stressful, you have to offer blue bags to every customer, chase them down if you don't catch them at the door to offer it too, sell people on the store credit card, make sure you are getting sales as there is a counter monitoring foot traffic, and asking if people need help until they get upset.

"Technology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at The Children's Place (More than a year)

Pros

Offered great discounts on their clothing to associates

Cons

Poor Corporate Culture; Business was not a partner with IT

Advice to Management

Demonstrate that the entire organization is working towards the same goal. Ensure all departments are working as a team and not against each other.

"TCP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weehawken, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weehawken, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met a lot of great people

Cons

Some of the people are also cons. Work atmosphere is very hectic and will throw anyone under the bus.

"Graphic Designer"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited Sick days, and 30% off discount, corporate events, summer fridays

Cons

- Over Time + Unreasonable Work load
    - Too many Chefs in the kitchen
    - CEO (Jane) often chucks the whole project during final approval and becomes a designer to create what she think is right, neglecting all the marketing research and effort that other department has contribute for the project's progress.

Advice to Management

Trust the people that they hired and make your employees feel empowered to do what they were hired for

Showing 285 of 1,285 reviews