The Children's Place Reviews | Glassdoor

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated September 4, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 30% off employee discount on top of the sales (in 113 reviews)

• Friendly atmosphere, room for advancement, flexible schedule (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 115 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is hard when you have a family (in 41 reviews)

"Stay out of Management"

I have been working at The Children's Place (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best groups of people I have ever worked with.
    Employee discount is awesome.

Cons

Like many others, workload is ridiculous compared to payroll hours. It is not a good work life balance to ask your store manager to work every day a week to make sure everything is done or help at other stores because the district is not staffed. Unorganized upper management, corporate can't get their act together.

Advice to Management

Corporate employees should spend time in stores actually trying to execute the plans they send and expect retail employees to complete. They would determine that it is virtually impossible with the payroll provided to execute tasks and drive sales as required.

2. "Not the greatest place to work."

Current Employee - Sales Lead Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Lead Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a lead at my store for this company and I love working with my store manager and my associates they make it fun to work.

Cons

There's too much drama going on and the assistant store manager makes it to the point where everyone quits. The district manager doesn't give enough hours because the company won't let her. As a lead I get 20-30 hours or LESS. The sales associates get about 4-16 hours a week.

Advice to Management

If an associate tells you some one or something is bothering you, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! If you're a manager, don't be mean to your associates and degrade them!

3. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Blaine, MN

I worked at The Children's Place (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros to working for the company.

Cons

Unethical management. Would not even interview people with disabilities. Called HR and they did nothing, not even investigate the issue.

Advice to Management

Check your store managers and keep them accountable.

4. "Sales lead"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Madison, WI

Pros

Discount is good. Paid time off good if you can ever take it

Cons

Management is awful. Work 28 days in a row

Advice to Management

Ugh

"Overview"

Pros

I do not have any pros about this job, even though it was only a summer job for me I hated everyday I had to go into work.

Cons

As an sales associate, I did not like going into work everyday, when I first starte all of the managers were excellent. A few weeks after things started to go down hill. even thought it was as summer job I came back after christmas break and the store was going out of business.

Advice to Management

Please consider who you hire as managers to run the store.

6. "Assistant manager"

Pros

Get paid all holidays. Fast pace environment.

Cons

Give a little bit of hours, too much work for little pay.

Advice to Management

Make sure you ask a lot of questions if you don't know. Training is not good.

"Lots of hour little respect"

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

Lots of hours if Managers like you

Cons

Can't move up
    No over time
    No benefits

Advice to Management

Look at all your staff and their skills before you move up a friend to management

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount & benefits, never bored

Cons

Unrealistic with expectations vs payroll, no formal training

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saratoga Springs, NY

Pros

There were shipments that needed to be put out almost everyday, and there was always some type of rearrangements we had to do on the floor.
    Even though it did not get too busy, this was good because if there were few customers in the store, they could have our undivided attention.

Cons

I don't know if it was just the location I worked at but there would be times when if there was nothing to do, and I mean nothing because everything had already been re-folded, it was boring. The manager had no other suggestions next to scanning every product in the store to see there was some kind of a price update, and I understand that we needed to keep up with that but it was just a tedious duty she didn't want to do herself. Also, we got in these packets that said what items were going on sale or what the floor sets needed to look like, but the images on them were terrible so we couldn't tell which products we needed to deal with (that is more of an issue with whoever does the planning). Although I was only a sales associate, I felt as if I was overqualified for the position because everything that the managers did were things I had to do at my own job.
    When interviewing with the manager I asked if there were any positions available to move up so I can have a higher pay, and she said there is and to ask her in a couple of weeks because she was trying to fill the position. She ended up hiring someone who had no retail experience, possibly because this woman was older than me, but my age has nothing to do with my experience in retail.
    We were also understaffed a lot. One day where I had the opening shift, the woman who got hired for the position I wanted had to be rushed to the ER because she slipped on ice and got a mild concussion, which I understand why she couldn't come in to work, but then I ended up having to work a 12 hour day because no one else was willing to come in to work. Another instance where another sales lead was out for a few days because of a death in the family, which I also understand, I got scheduled to work all her hours. That's not something I signed up for when management wanted to give me a part time position when I inquired about full time. And although I was hourly, those hours were not worth how much I was getting paid with how much effort I put in.

My hours were also so inconsistent.

Now, I don't know if the head manager was hourly or salary, but there were many times when she would leave early because she wanted to get home before it got dark so she could go on her evening walk. Are you kidding me? (Which is why I think she was on salary because she would leave hours early and not care about pay).

I was mainly upset all the time about going to work because I don't feel like I was being compensated for how hard I worked, and I don't feel like the manager trusted me to assign me more duties

Advice to Management

If there is an issue with the floor sets, they need to let someone higher up know, rather than complaining about it every time we got a new packet. Obviously the issue isn't going to be fixed this way.

Also, if someone is not a part of the MyPlace Rewards and an associate tried to get them to sign up, don't blame the associate for bringing down that percentage. Some people are in a hurry, and some people just don't want to receive emails for a place they don't shop in too often.

They need to not worry about conversion rates (the amount of people who walk in compared to the amount of people who make a purchase) because that has nothing to do with dollar sales and that number is just irrelevant to anything. If you want to count foot traffic, do it in the busier stores, not in one that don't have customers for hours.

When I called back one day to inquire about getting a copy of my W2, the manager gave me attitude/did not seem like she wanted to speak to me and I know they were not busy because I work in that same mall still and it never gets that busy to not be able to have a 2 minute phone call. I did nothing wrong when I quit. I gave you my two weeks notice, and never slacked off in my last days of work. There is no reason for you to treat me with this kind of resentment and childish attitude because I found a better job opportunity and it wasn't in your store. Yes, I am sorry that I quit after only 2 months of working there and that I probably wasted your time with you training me, but how would you have filled the schedule without me? You would have had to work longer hours, and God forbid you actually have to work the length of your shift you were scheduled for.

PS: When I said I was quitting for personal reasons, one of them was that the manager talked down to everyone when any of the percentage of something did not meet the standards of the day, and that was only one reason. When you asked if it was because of someone I couldn't get along with, it was because of you and how sporadic you made my schedules and these weird tasks you made me do when I have more potential, but of course you couldn't see that because I was like a minion to you.

Again, this was only at the location I worked at so there is probably better management in other stores.

"Lots of room for improvement"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team building, busy always something to do, 30% discount, first access to new collections, offers decent quality products at good prices, paid holidays, PTO and sick days

Cons

Not enough payroll hours, floorsets change constantly, heavy shipment, hire-ups are inconsistent in direction and expectations, low pay, can not plan effectively due to not having set days for price changes or markdowns. Black out periods for using PTO time, Store credit card needs to be revamped to make it more desirable for customers

Advice to Management

Be realistic with your expectations. Give us hours to properly train new hires. Give us enough hours when we first make the schedule versus throwing us hours on a Friday when the week ends on Saturday. Send floorsets before we start receiving that seasons product. Create consistent pricing and promotions for outlet, retail and online customers become very confused and upset.

Showing 298 of 1,377 reviews