The Children's Place Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 23, 2017
1,322 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,322 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • If you have kids you get 30 % as employee discount (in 107 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and easy tasks (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 115 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is hard when you have a family (in 40 reviews)

1. "Went downhill quickly"

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I initially liked my job at the Children's Place. Worked part time as a sales associate before getting promoted to sales lead. Seems to be small room for working up in the company. Pretty good about scheduling for sales associates.

Cons

The entire staff I worked with was entirely female, with one guy in the back doing stock, extremely sexist. Working with so many girls got irritating, especially since they're young and immature.
    Got written up for being physically assaulted and threatened because "I needed to watch the way I spoke to people." I never had any other complaints. Got ganged up on by other management so I quit and found an easier job with higher pay than my management pay.

Advice to Management

Needs to be a more diverse staff to benefit the company and the employees. Higher pay for physically demanding position.

"Great company that went down hill... FAST!!!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the store there are great customers and great fellow employees.

Cons

Company is clueless as what it takes to train and keep employees. Expected to have no life and drop everything for TCP. Pay more to new hires than promotes. Very un-organized, send through info at the last minute and expect you to drop everything and get it done then with no additional payroll.

Advice to Management

Stop overhauling the stores and consider starting with a management change, at the very top!

"Exhausting and Humiliating"

I worked at The Children's Place (More than a year)

Pros

Great Sales Associates
    If you enjoy customer interaction this will be a great job for you
    Discount insensitives are good

Cons

The pay does not equal the amount of work you put in, they will work you until you want to quit for as little pay as they can get. It is hard to work for this company if you have a family as the hours are crazy and you will definitely be pulling some overnights. Very little upward mobility.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to be more aware of their employees moral and overall health. While this is a discount retailer sometimes you need to focus more on the customers than the money as in the long term you will gain more income.

"Stay away!!!"

Former Employee - Analyst in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

23 days of PTO, Summer Fridays, Unlimited sick time. Decent Pay....

Cons

There are so many don't think I have enough space.

Advice to Management

Ok lefts begin. Management sucks. They have no clue to what is actually going on. The majority are rude and don't even say hello unless you do first. It is sad that some of them have not grown up from high school and dish out that "Mean Girls" attitude to their employees and treat them like crap. People all have their cliques and if your not up to the standards you are isolated from the group and that is when the great stuff happens if you know what i mean...Company is very political and if you kiss up to the right people you will get ahead. Management and HR totally disregards people are more qualified than the inexperienced brown noses that get promoted. You make call outs and they are never taken into account. God forbid you complain to HR then you get turned into the bad guy and things become even worse. i feel that all of these higher up fools are all connected and have each others backs. The amount of gossip that goes on is more than the actual work that is done. I have seen and heard Senior Management discussing co workers and shredding them to pieces. Totally unprofessional!!! Certain rules apply for some and others get away scott free...I have worked in many places and what I have seen is beyond belief. I always thought that it was bs and that these things don't happen or are only in the movies. Rest assure you will find it at TCP!

"Worst job I've ever had."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Folsom, CA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Easy to balance school with work
    -Fast-paced
    -Fun environment(customer wise)
    -Was OKAY for a part time job and going to school, but still very poor store.

Cons

-Very poor management
    -No hours
    -No room for growth
    -Disorganized
    -On-Call shifts, you would HAVE to stay 2 hours after your shift or come in two hours early if they said so.They also had the opportunity to call you in on your days off and you couldn't say no.

Advice to Management

Try treating your employees with some respect and maybe you will get some back.

"This place is horrible ...run don't walk"

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about it.

Cons

Not enough payroll hours to do everything they want you to do.

7. "Overworked and under appreciated"

Current Employee - Corp Manager Level in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Corp Manager Level in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for a lot of vertical retail companies and they all have a number of challenges but TCP exceeded all my expectations in terms of the number of challenges I encountered.

They did not put a clause in my contract that I would l have to stay a year otherwise I would have to play my relocation back

Cons

The managements has no vision on how to grow the business unless you consider that fact that they want to reduce the costing to improve margins or share buyback to improve EPS year over year.

When you attend a quarterly review and all the talk is about reducing the quality of the merchandise to reduce the first cost price its very concerning. If you are reducing costs with costs are going in the entire market they you are going against the tide. You can move every program to Africa to get your costing done......can you

Advice to Management

LIsten to all the call outs that were made in the culture survey and you ever going to release the results to the company.
    SAP retail....what company in North America is investing on a software program for retail that no one in the industry uses.

"It was one of the worst experiences that I had working in the retail field."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The stores are cute and design very well, it allows you to get to know your customers on a first name basis.

Cons

Doesn't develop its managers or its associates talent wise, and has unrealistic workloads, upper management unaware of what's happening in their stores. Not a team oriented company. High turnover with Associates due to livable hours, no benefits or vacation sick time for associates. Work life balance is almost nonexistent.

Advice to Management

This company has too many chiefs not enough Indians, management needs to make somebody in charge and allowing them to hold other accountable, there too many people doing one person's job. Take care of your leads in your associates they are the heart and soul of your company.

"OMG!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Payne, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Payne, AL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

The management team that started the distribution center in Alabama was the BEST you could ask for. They cared about the associates, there were ample opportunities for advancement and the leadership couldn't be surpassed by anyone. That didn't last long!

Cons

The entire management team was replaced and not for the better. Upper management doesn't care about the associates or how hard they work. You would think that there would be some appreciation for the fact that you are working in miserable heat but they only seem to care about the associates that don't work and complain all the time. There is little to no training for new hires. They are thrown into an area for 5 minutes and hope that some info sinks in before they are moved on to another task. And god forbid you question authority or have an opinion. Upper management says they require honesty and integrity from their entire management team but I have seen more liars and manipulators walk thru than anything else. It's actually sad that what once started out as the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working for has turned into the place that makes a person physically sick to walk in to.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the current practices taking place within the DC.

"Burn 'em and turn 'em"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome discount
    LOVE the brand
    fun merchandise to work with

Cons

not enough hours
    huge floorsets with no extra payroll
    enormous workload
    pay sales associates crap and expect the world out of them
    horrible DMs

Advice to Management

YOU ARE OUT OF TOUCH! Get your butts into a real store and see how it really works. I want to see you "greet every customer" and "hand out mesh bags" while you are resetting the entire store, doing enormous mark downs and visual changes, etc. GOOD LUCK!

Showing 1,322 of 1,332 reviews