The Children's Place Reviews | Glassdoor

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated August 4, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you have kids you get 30 % as employee discount (in 109 reviews)

• Friendly atmosphere, room for advancement, flexible schedule (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 115 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is hard when you have a family (in 40 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice team work busy good experience

Cons

Low pay long hours standing on feet

2. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate, Sales Lead in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate, Sales Lead in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at The Children's Place (More than a year)

Pros

The Employee Discount was great

Cons

Minimum wage pay sucked, management was not too bad

"Work"

Current Employee - Store Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Store Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, fast paced, working with children, some room to grow

Cons

Limited hours, long shifts, picking up others shifts, sometimes no break, very low pay

4. "Sales Lead"

I worked at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

Fun people to work with

Cons

Managers or higher up people had no clue who was running their stores, assistant manager was honestly useless and relied on the sales leads to do everything.

Advice to Management

Get to personally know your district stores.

5. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Discount, PTO, Making own schedule

Cons

Not enough allotted hours for tasks, corporate doesn't seem to care or understand what we need, pressure on Place Credit Cards.

Advice to Management

Go on the show, Undercover Boss! Your will truly understand our needs then.

"Loved my job at one point."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and in store management. Great products employee discount. Good pay for upper management. Lots of well seasoned managers.

Cons

Upper management don't care about how well the stores are doing. Poor moral if they continue on this negative path stores will close and they will lose great seasoned managers. If they want to protect the business they should take some of our feedback seriously. I would hate to see the #1 children's specialty store follow in the other companies that's are closing.

Advice to Management

Bring customers back to the stores. Bring back coupons to draw traffic back into stores. Stop making the store compete with online. We should be one company. Having people who have never worked a day in the field only having a degree should not make decisions for stores. Unless they want to become an online only company. Then save us the heart aches make up your mind.

"Not a career company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of vacation time, 5 weeks plus sick time. Flexible if you are not full time. Retail always keeps you busy

Cons

As in any retail environment, weekends and holidays are a must.
    The only employees who can get any benefits are full time Store Manager and Assistant Manager. Associates can only start out at $7.25, and only get a raise once a year IF the store makes its sales goal, usually about $0.15 raise. Most stores don't get enough payroll hours to have more than 2 people working at once. Upper management does not care if anyone gets breaks. Low pay makes people unreliable, forcing people to have to work 12 hour shifts because someone doesn't show up for an assigned shift. It's basically impossible to get anyone fired unless they are stealing from the company. Don't get hired expecting to be trained extensively. The company's training program is nothing. Marketing is so confusing to customers, many many complaints.

Advice to Management

Think about your employees. Better appreciation will lead to better employees.

8. "Over worked confused Store Manager"

Pros

Great pay, and PTO and benefits

Cons

DM and RM don't communicate and constantly changing

"store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, supportive DM, bonuses, great discount, and for me being an hourly store manager, I work just my 40 hours with no OT.

Cons

I have worked for TCP for over a decade. It has gone down hill dramatically. I don't know if this company is growing too big, too fast or what. But something has to change. First, hours. I know I run a small store, but give us hours to support the tons of visual moves you give us each and every week! You expect us to do this during store hours, then wonder why our conversion is down or we aren't getting good customer service scores. Then there are the promotions, both in store and online. Have consistency. Our customers aren't stupid. Have online and store pricing the same. When you promote things like "entire store 40% off, no exclusions" then have no exclusions. Don't do fine print at the bottom saying excludes shoes, new arrivals and sleepwear. That isn't ENTIRE store. Then we are left to deal with pissed off customers. And the return policy is a joke. Not customer friendly. People give gifts, and not everyone sends a gift receipt. Then the coupon and place cash issue. Bad business practice to have a customer earn place cash, then during redemption time have the entire website 50% off, but customers can't use the 50% off with their place cash. Then we are left to address customer concerns. Have a better hold time so customers can complain to you and not us. 30-45 minutes on hold is unacceptable. Respond to your Facebook comments, questions and concerns. Communicate with your employees and your customers. Tell employees why you don't do coupons anymore so we can answer customer complaints. We are the ones in the trenches, and we don't have answers for our customers. We get yelled at on a daily basis. So then we get in trouble because we have a bad attitude with customers when dealing with a corporate issue. We are tired and overworked.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your "teams" and customers. We deserve that much.

"Good people - crazy management"

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I was hired, it had a good group moral and support. I like the idea of providing a good product and a very reasonable price that helps families.

Cons

Management changed so it felt like we were whipsawed around. I also felt the CEO was very hypocritical.

Advice to Management

Have more concern for the employees and not just the bottom line.

Showing 295 of 1,359 reviews