The Children's Place Reviews | Glassdoor

1,389 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,389 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 30% off employee discount on top of the sales (in 114 reviews)

• Friendly atmosphere, room for advancement, flexible schedule (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management can be a little difficult to deal with they expect a lot with little time (in 115 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is hard when you have a family (in 40 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

I worked at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

Only good thing was co-workers & discount

Cons

Store manager didn't really listen, hours weren't given equally between associates, .managers didnt always help or would stay in back for long periods of time

Advice to Management

Listen to associates & other sale leads and help out associates

"Good company with opportunities to improve."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Florence, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Florence, AL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Store manager compensation is not bad for lower volume retail. Merchandise is relevant to consumers, which makes selling easier and sales goals more attainable.

Cons

Minimal payroll hours. Staff needs better compensation. Reduce 'busy work' like multiple charts, weekly business review (monthly would suffice). Additional advertising would help drive traffic into stores.

3. "The place I work at"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

Always respect ed and always treated fairly

Cons

It's a nice place to work but need to fix the hours per person

"Associate"

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Almost everybody besides a few that I've worked with have been very nice, friendly, and understanding. My coworkers became friends.
    Good experience dealing with the public, gave me confidence in the work I do there.

Cons

The management does not care about the associates or key holders. They only pay attention/ care for the SM and ASM. When then DM pays a visit they never ask the associates how things are going, if there anything they could do to help, etc. they expect so much to get done for so little pay. Their payroll is so terrible that associates will get at most 20 hours a week, and associates are never given full time positions. The customers are ruthless and complain over a shirt that is 1.99 is "too expensive" and will literally argue over price adjusting by one penny. I could go on and on but I'd be here all night.

Advice to Management

Offer better pay because the amount of stress and pressure put on ALL the employees (not just managers, associates included) is rediculous which is why the turn over for this company is so incredibly high. Within the past year there has been turn over of over 9 managers at my store and 10+ associates. There's a reason for it and it's time this company meets the demands of these hard working people.

5. "Sales associate"

I worked at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

I had for the most part very good coworkers.

Cons

Management was always changing which became frustrating. Changing work hours and ways of doing things . Very high turn over rate.

"Horrible Company & Management @ Dayton Mall location"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After change in management I honestly have none

Cons

This company only cares about the business.. not the employees. They don't give enough payroll for what they expect. They don't pay enough for the amount of work they give you. It's a miserable company to work for. Dreadful to go into the work place. Working full time means NO life outside of thework place.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring just anyone for management positions. You literally don't even need experience anymore to work as a manager at TCP. That's why nothing ever gets done or gets done right. Ever since new management came across it's not even work anymore .. they're so unprofessional with how they handle things and the stuff they say about other employees to other employees as well as infront of customers. Also STORE MANAGERS SHOULD CLOSE 1-2x a week! They'll tell you you can't have a first shift position as they
    Make the schedules and do that for themselves.

7. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee discount. Friendly coworkers. I work in a large store with a large back room. Nothing else comes to mind.

Cons

Everything. No one in a management position I have meet knows what they are doing. The designs are ugly! Return policy sucks.

Advice to Management

Ask employees what sells best in the stores. Don't let your employees over hear you talking crap about them.

8. "Merchandising Team"

Former Employee - Merchandise Brand Team Member in Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Brand Team Member in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great management team at the time, creative outlet, great window/mannequin/department designs from corporate, overnights were relaxed and fun, got a lot of work done for changeovers in that time

Cons

sometimes there were not enough staff on one time shift

Advice to Management

talk to employees about transitioning positions if there is open room. I transitioned from cashier to merchandising by fluke which was a great perk for me, had I stayed on cash I would not have stayed for the almost 5 years that I did.

"Sales Associate"

I worked at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

I did not see any pros working here

Cons

Pay, Corporate, customers, everything was a con

"Was better before. Not so great anymore."

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Farmington, CT

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Yearly bonuses depending on store sales and performance for the year. They work with school schedules and if you have other employment. The discount is great 30% on top of sales and the 401k if you're full time because the match whatever you put in.

Cons

There is no room to grow anymore. The company got rid of its assistant manager roles and other than store manager there is one other full time position (which is basically the ASM role) but for less pay. The pay also sucks now. You were able to negotiate your pay at one point and now they start you off at a dollar over minimum wage for part time managers so you're doing extra work but getting paid like an associate. They also cap hours on top of pay so you are not allowed to go over 20hrs unless someone is on vacation or you're taking a shift for someone.

Advice to Management

Since there is no room to grow and no competitive pay you should expect a huge turnover rate. It is not enough for the amount of work that gets done.

Showing 1,389 of 1,400 reviews