The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Reviews | Glassdoor

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints President Thomas S. Monson
Thomas S. Monson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It demoralizing to see your full time counter parts get better benefits with lower expectations (in 19 reviews)

• Dress code is business casual :( I miss shorts, flip flops, and hats (in 12 reviews)

1. "Excellent organization!"

Pros

Meaningful purpose to job, excellent benefits, flexible work schedule

Cons

Conservative salary structure, long commute

2. "Nice place to finish out a career"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive atmosphere. The focus in most departments is usually on figuring out better ways to help people help themselves or to become more Christlike. Negativity gets you no where.

Great benefits, work/life balance

The perception that you're involved in something greater than just 'business' that builds and supports people as its primary focus.

Good facilities and equipment to get the work done.

Cons

You will not get rich working here. Sometimes management attitudes feel like the good ole boys club veiled in religion.

Some employees who've never worked outside the organization have limited vision of how to improve the work environment thus less willing to be open to different ways of looking at things or changes/improvements. On the other side, there are people that come from the outside that are way to bottom line aggressive and have no greater vision of what they're helping build other than the 'bottom line' - a hollow goal by itself.

Advice to Management

If you want to get rid of the 'good ole boy' attitude, managers need to be more open and honestly communicative about their decisions and goals, and have an ability to look outside 'the box'. I've been glad to see in the recent past, managers who were advanced with these qualities. This 'good ole boy attitude' deflates trust and morale very well when left unchecked.

3. "Really great workplace!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Riverton, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Riverton, UT

Pros

Like others have mentioned, great work-life balance

Cons

Salary could be more competitive

4. "(Volunteer) Church Service Missionary"

Current Employee - Church Service Missionary in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Church Service Missionary in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly rewarding; when we're able to connect the right client with the right resources, it's life-altering.

Cons

Funding for our program is limited (which is understandable); we wish we there were more avilable.

Advice to Management

Our region could use more CSM teams!

"The Spirit is strong in this one."

Current Employee - Temple Facilities Assistant II in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Temple Facilities Assistant II in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for the Church. It has been a great blessing for me and my family. Excellent benefits and the quality of people I work with are outstanding.

Cons

It may be time for the Church to update it's pay scale. The cost of living has increased significantly in the past decade in the U.S. , the pay has not.

Advice to Management

Compare pay scale to recent cost of living.

6. "Incredible Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my time working for the LDS Church. I felt valued and supported as an employee and enabled to do my work to the best of my ability. I loved the work I was doing and the feeling of being part of the best work on earth.

Cons

No retirement benefits for contracted employees.

7. "Security and compassion"

Current Employee - Educator in Layton, UT
    Current Employee - Educator in Layton, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best people and best organization to work for!

Cons

You will not get rich, but the salary and benefits are solid!

Advice to Management

Thanks for always listening!

8. "Custodial Position - Good place to work."

Former Employee - Custodian in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Custodian in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Multiple different shifts options
    Excellent Pay
    Excellent Environment
    Easy work

I was able to be a stay at home mom during the days and work late at night part time or early int he morning. I worked here for 10 years and it was a great place to be. was able to meet some amazing people and be "backstage'during major events on Temple Square. Always treated with respect and thanked for my hard work from visitors to TS.

Cons

Didn't always see eye to eye with some of the management, at times felt like just a "janitor" by supervisors. Unfortunately, there was at times gossip and rumors that fly like wild fire around there but if you just stay out of the drama your fine.

Advice to Management

Even if your management over the custodial department - you too are a custodian. and Just treat everyone with respect.
    All in all it is a great place to be and a great part time job for early hours and late in teh night hour as well.

9. "Most supportive & caring work environment I have ever been in."

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Boise, ID

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere.
    Good pay.
    Excellent benefits.
    Stellar work-life balance.
    Wonderful co-workers who share in the vision of the organization.

Cons

Good but not amazing pay, but if you're here for the money alone, you're missing the point.

Advice to Management

None.

10. "Interesting"

Former Employee - Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most workers were nice. Paychecks were timely.

Cons

The “good intent” card is played a lot. I had a long term illness of an autoimmune nature. People told me I was not sick. People also told me that I was ill because of my iniquity.

Advice to Management

Do not judge things you do not understand. Male priesthood power does not give you the right to demean or put control mechanisms on someone else. I wish I was never raised in this organization. At the end of a long period of suffering and grappling to find answers, I cannot continue to sustain this organization. The “imperfect” leadership claim only works for the occasional error, not groups of leadership hanging up on one person. They preach Agency, but have no concept of their doctrine.