The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Reviews | Glassdoor

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints President Russell M. Nelson
Russell M. Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Also getting hired as a full time employee is very" (in 29 reviews)

• "Dress code is quite conservative--for example, men required to wear suit and tie daily at most downtown Salt Lake City locations" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love to do my job and to share the time and values with a great group of team players. We have an enjoyable work environment where you want to go and be there. Our team leader and our manager recognize our efforts; it makes me get better and better with my daily tasks. Also, I get the benefits that I need for my family and me. The business attire works perfectly for me.

Cons

I can not find any Cons. I have what I was looking for the company that I wanted to work.

2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can't beat the environment. I love the united purpose and focus. There are a lot of opportunities within the company to grow. I'd recommend working here to anyone.

Cons

Literally the only thing for me is the fact that I can't grow a beard. Not even that I want to grow and maintain a beard, I just want to shave once a week (Sunday) and not have to shave every day. I understand why, and I also understand I choose to work here, but this is at the top of my wish list of things I wish I could change.

3. "Awesome People"

Former Employee - Missionary in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Missionary in Columbia, SC

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So my job was volunteer status, but the organization is awesome, it's very efficient and moves very smoothly. I had many awesome experiences that helped me grow and progress as a person. I was given many opportunities to lead and to grow.

Cons

People will hate you as missionary for being a missionary, but it is worth it.

4. "Boring, but good otherwise"

Pros

Finishing college, I was able to do all my homework.
    People were extremely nice
    The work I was given was interesting

Cons

I wasn't given tons of work

Advice to Management

Make sure you have enough work for an intern. Don't get an intern just to get an intern. Make sure they feel included in the team as well.

5. "Great place to work"

Pros

Stellar Benefits, Great environment, Good people

Cons

Slow to adapt to changes

6. "If you love something, don't work there."

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time

Pros

Decent work-life balance. Not high pressure.

Cons

The most successful employee is treated the same as the lease successful employee. Benefits are not any better as they like to say they are "following industry practices". But their compensation doesn't match.

Advice to Management

Your turnover rate is high for a reason, there's no practice to retain. Try investing in your employees.

7. "Working as an intern"

Pros

Everyone is nice to you
    The project is interesting and you will get to put your hands to work

Cons

Doesn't have a tech hub feeling when you work here. HR is a joke most of the time

8. "Mixed Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverton, UT

Pros

- Helping in the mission of the Church is great
    - Generally nice people
    - Sometimes there is free food
    - Two ping pong tables, gym, bike storage, good locker room, etc.
    - The Church is generally recognized by other companies as a great place to learn, some good training goes on for the most part.

Cons

- Some people don't care to get to know you, or talk to you, or explain stuff to you. I sat with a team for months and never really got to know any of them, despite efforts to strike up conversations. They just come in, type and leave.
    - I often found out I was doing work that is typically someone else's job, but no one ever took the time to explain everyone's role on the team. This is related to the above point. And yes, I asked for clarification a few times, but was not given sufficient explanation.
    - The contingent model (contract workers) is a bit wacky. I was told that if/when I leave, I would be backfilled, and yet there is no opportunity to go from contract worker (2 year max) to a full time employee. This leads to lots of entry -mid level turnover and retraining.
    - In many ways, it seems a bit like a personality contest. I moved teams several times due to "budget issues" which I won't deny were there, but could have been easily worked out (and when I switched teams, another replaced me). I think it stemmed more from a partner and I not able to relate to each other more than capability of doing the job.
    - Some managers are really great, caring and trusting. Others won't give the time of day, make no effort to get to know you, and are a bit out of touch with you, your work and team.

Advice to Management

- Fix the contingent model somehow to keep good people and avoid the expense of hiring, onboarding and training.
    - Take time to get to know each other and set up incentives and programs to encourage this.

9. "Not what you'd expect - maybe"

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Riverton, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Riverton, UT

Pros

Stable work environment, good work/life balance, excellent benefits & discounted trax pass

Cons

Passive aggressive management, confusion between Corporation and Church. Though it's obvious that the Church runs the corporation, there are times that corporation needs to be run as the corporation and corporate decisions must be made. Because the CEO (Presiding Bishop) has many other responsibilities besides running the corporation, paralysis in decision making can occur. There is no single leader to push directives and hold the entire Corporation accountable, so initiatives fracture, are modified, and fail.

Advice to Management

Realize that though the corporation reports to the Brethren, they are smart businessmen and should be presented with those business decisions, and the corporation should not just jump to fill off handed requests. Counsel together, find common ground and find the strength to push initiatives across the organization and implement real change.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Amazing people with similar goals and life values.

Cons

The Church is not out to maximize profit, so some processes and improvements happen slower than they would other places.