The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Reviews | Glassdoor

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints President Thomas S. Monson
Thomas S. Monson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not a lot of opportunity to switch over from continent/part-time work into full-time work (in 19 reviews)

• Dress code is business casual :( I miss shorts, flip flops, and hats (in 13 reviews)

"Take calls and help with orders for LDS churches world wide."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a member of the church there is nothing more fulfilling then helping other members around the world get material they need to enhance there spiritual growth.
    The work benefits are great and really. Lots of employee discounts (cell phone plan discounts, movie tickets discounts, car discounts, hotel discounts, travel discounts, entertainment ticket discounts. etc.)
    Full time would give you paid vacation, paid sick, paid holidays.
    Good parking in church parking lots in downtown SLC.

Cons

Lots of politics play a role here. Makes the environment dull and sad. Management isn't very supportive in your progression and you will see plenty of favoritism. The CSRs are all students and great to work with but upper levels like management are older people and reflect very little of what the LDS Church should stand for. Wish they would look into providing better support for other countries other then USA. Everyone else gets over looked a bit.

Advice to Management

Remember who you represented and treat all your employees well not just your favorites. Learn to adapt to your workers, and don't be afraid to learn something from them too.

"Systems Administrator"

Current Contractor - Systems Administrator in Riverton, UT
    Current Contractor - Systems Administrator in Riverton, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

If you can look past the emotional drain it is being a contingent employee, the atmosphere is very clean.

Cons

Contingent employment MAY be a door to the unicorn full time spot but don't get your hopes up. Have a Plan B the day you start your contingent employment. Your managers don't really care to help you get a full time spot, they are too busy with the busy work everyone piles on them they think is urgent. They don't really have time to take out of their busy work day to help you become full-time. The idea that the Church employment is all about employee development to get contract workers better suited for a full-time spot there is also rubbish. Why can't the church just extend a contract past two years if they've already budgeted for the contingent replacement? Doesn't make sense at all to hire someone completely new​, every two years, for the exact same job. Thank goodness I have my testimony. I know that it's the Lord's church. It's just run by a bunch of knuckleheads who are out of touch with the emotional stress contingent employees are subjected to by taking a chance working there with hopes of getting on full-time.

Advice to Management

Start giving a crap about your contingent employees. Fight to change the contingent employees hiring restrictions so that you can extend contracts past two years. Get outside your comfort zone to improve the workplace for your contingent employees.

3. "Tough place to be as a contingent employee with a family"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

If you can look past the emotional turmoil being a contingent worker brings to you and your wife/kids, the atmosphere is clean.

Cons

We make a choice and take a chance on being a contingent worker, with the hope of getting the very limited, and coveted unicorn full-time (FTE) spot. The FTE spot is like a dangling carrot to work hard. However, those FTE spots don't come, no matter how skilled an employee is. The Church has lost some VERY talented workers with their contingent employee rule.
    On the surface, Managers care about an employee's life and want what's best for them. However, they are getting crap piled on their plates that's deemed "important" so they have little time to manage their employees, or help the contingents get on FTE. They say they will do all they can, but in the end, they don't have the time, so they don't put much effort into helping their contingents get an FTE spot somewhere else.
    Contracting with employees is a great idea, but the Church ruins what is a great method by limiting their contingent employees to just two years, the point where the employee has finally reached a level of efficiency. WHY in the world would you put a two-year restriction on a contingent employee? Tell them the rules is they must be away from the church for six months before they can come reapply? The job they did was gone now. At least allow the contract to be renewed on a year by year basis. They have already budgeted for the replacement so the money is there. Why not give the job/money to the employee that have displaced their whole life to work here? That way at least family life for the contingent employee isn't turned upside down while on the job hunt.
    Luckily, I know the Church is true. His Church company is run by a bunch of knuckleheads.

Advice to Management

Grow some courage and find those in HR that make the Contingent employee rules. Talk to those that make these knucklehead decisions and stand up for your employees! Push for a yearly contract renewal policy. What you and everyone else demanding your time think is important, isn't as important as the people you manage. You aren't managing just an employee, you are also the change agent of their family's well being too. Please understand this.

"Don't Do It. People Warned Me. I Didn't Listen."

Former Contractor - Product Manager in Riverton, UT
    Former Contractor - Product Manager in Riverton, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in ICS in the End-User Productivity Portfolio. I was able to meet some really neat people and visit some really cool and restricted areas of the Church's Headquarters. That's about where the perks ended.

Cons

This place has the worst office politics and red tape I've ever been involved with. If you're not a football fan, for example, you're an outcast. If you develop a project plan that requires additional spending, one would think you could present it to your immediate supervisor, who would then competently present it to his supervisor. Not the case in my experience. There were multiple occasions that our team had to present and explain a proposal, in absolute detail, to all levels of decision-makers in ICS - up to and including the CIO.

Also, do NOT accept a contract offer through ESG, or whoever they are working through these days. When I was hired, the job offer explicitly said 'Full Time,' yet they only offered me the conditional contract. I, in my naivety at the time, accepted this offer based on the wonderful promises made by my soon-to-be Solution Manager. I should have rejected this offer. If I had done so, they would have offered the actual full-time position within 24 hours.

That is the key - reject the contract offer, and they will most likely relent and offer the FTE position within 24 hours. They make every attempt to hire people on a contingent basis.

Also, ICS is run like a 1950's style factory with levels upon levels of bureaucratic egos. For an IT division in our modern day, this type of management creates a truly a demoralizing work environment.

Advice to Management

Trust your people who YOU hired. Go to bat for them with your supervisors. Also, give up the false narrative of an FTE cap for portfolios. Everybody knows it's lie, and we all talk about it. If you truly want somebody to be converted to FTE, there is little stopping you.

Instead of dancing around issues, have frank conversations with your employees, so that they can plan their lives accordingly, i.e. look for another job, OR create an action plan for improvement and professional development. This place doesn't foster an environment of individual development in any way.

5. "Business Intelligence Engineer"

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Engineer in Herriman, UT
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Engineer in Herriman, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Church has a top notch Business Intelligence department. They support training and following industry best practices.

Cons

The bureaucracy was stifling. It was often slow and cumbersome to get things done. Time logging is a pain.

"Strange mix of church and work."

Former Employee - Seminary Teacher in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Seminary Teacher in Boise, ID

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance was good. Good people. Noble cause. Easy to find purpose in the work. Leadership sometimes gets confused on the line between a job and life's calling.

Cons

Very limited growth. Regularly told to back off of my dreams and become part of the collective. Inability to use leave for vacations on my schedule. Had to report the reasoning for every absence. Way too nosy into my personal life. Wanted to attend a leadership workshop on my own dime, they told me I couldn't go. Wanted to vacation with extended family in February, was told no.

Advice to Management

Your role is an employer not an ecclesiastical position of dominance.

"Product Manager"

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time

Pros

If you are looking for an environment that respects authority, values loyalty and working with colleagues from a very homogenous background this is probably a great fit for you.

The health and retirement benefits are great, the hours you are expected to work are usually reasonable and while loyalty and adherence to the standards of the temple recommend questions are very important, I don't know of anyone who was ever let go for incompetence or not meeting performance standards.

The pay is also quite reasonable and comparable to industry standards for many positions- and there seem to be opportunities for advancement, at least for those who are most loyal to the organization.

The food in the cafeteria is great and very reasonably priced.

Cons

My sense is that for people who don't fit into the established culture, like to ask questions, or place a high value transparency or diversity of thought won't fit in as well, at least in many of the departments there, with a few exceptions.

Women and minorities seem to be very underrepresented in leadership positions.

For at least some employees there can be cognitive dissonance between understood principles of LDS theology and the observed practices of the organization.

"title"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

easy work environment. Not demanding at all. Deadlines weren't really a thing. The location I was at didn't have any kind of dress code.

Cons

There wasn't much of a work ethic. I felt like the people who worked there the longest were only there because they had no ambition.

Advice to Management

fire people once in a while if they don't work hard

"Good Pay, That's About It"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative - Global Service Center in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the job you do, the pay is good. As a member of the church, you're in an environment that is all about your beliefs.

Cons

Sadly, there are lots of cons with this job as a customer service representative. Be prepared to feel like nothing more than a cog. Answer calls, do tickets, answer calls. It gets very monotonous. There are occasions where you'll get special responsibilities, but don't think you're getting a raise for it, because you won't.
    You are not allowed to use headphones for music when you're off the phones and will be issued a verbal warning if you do.
    The voice and opinions of the employees are not valued. The workplace would be much improved if the employee's voice was heard.

Advice to Management

Make this a place that people actually want to work at. The Church has a great purpose, but the work environment is not appealing. Listen to your employees. I know that work is work and the tasks done here are not going to change. But adjustments can be made to make the Global Service Center fun. When all is said and done, it's a call center.

10. "Deseret Mill and Pasta Plant"

Former Contractor - Warehouse in Kaysville, UT
    Former Contractor - Warehouse in Kaysville, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Was kept most of the time independent on my own. Fun work, as long as it was the work you hired on to do. There is a few people that you get to know and like, as they share your same values.

Cons

The religion says this, and yet it's the devil in the details (managements unreliable words) of the job that get in the way. Pay was typical of Utah = Slaveship USA. And America bureaucracy, Clickish people and SHARKS! They will eat there own. Management doesn't care or know whats going on from day to day, they force temps to do everything while there 'out playing golf'. Say one thing and do another. Fulltime employees are just as bad, maybe worse, they micromanage you, or try to get you to do there job. Hired on for just forklifting and warehouse. Next thing I know I am doing production/slave work til you die. Told by management that this is the way it is or hit the road jack, so I did. Typical LDS Kaysville culture, holier then thou, by several people. 'Tata-tell mentality'. Told it was a M-F job and working days, to then being told to work graveyards and working into Sat. morning = something wrong with this picture? There is no unemployment with the church, the reason they are charitable organization, so they get exempt status...

Advice to Management

Pay could be better. The coolest person there was the Warehouse lead (who should actually have his bosses job) and the other was the mechanic that had been there for 27 years (who should probably be running the whole show), at least they treated people with respect. The main boss seems like a good man, but his career is almost over and he will never back you, even if you are right. Let your temp workers handle all the work, since they do all the work anyway, and know whats going on, fire the majority of the fulltime employees that are basically cry babies and want everything handed to them on a silver platter. Make warehouse seperate from all other production. As this is the correct business model. This is suppose to be working for the church! Its suppose to be uplifting and good experience for all, not just for the Volunteers and Missionaries!