The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints President Thomas S. Monson
Thomas S. Monson

Pros
Cons
  • The options to move to Full Time are not as prominent (in 13 reviews)

• The dress code requires suit and tie, very formal (in 11 reviews)

"Don't work there if you respect yourself"

Current Employee - Incident/Tech Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Incident/Tech Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Stability of employment. It seems to me that no matter what you do nothing can cause you to get fired.

Cons

Complete incompetence of management. Even though it is supposed to be different working for the church they make it seems like a badly ran business.

Advice to Management

Learn something in your field and start treating your employees like they are worth something with their knowledge of what they are doing.

"not as family oriented as they profess"

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (More than a year)

Pros

I met some wonderful people during my time in the company.

Cons

you are forced to give 10% of your gross income back to the company. on top of being underpaid, it was too much. they are family oriented, but when you need to be with your family, they refuse to let you go home. when I began to disagree with the company, they turned my family against me and made them believe I was a bad person.

Advice to Management

honesty never hurt anyone.

"Simply, truly terrible"

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time

Pros

I liked working with people who shared my values. The pay was competitive so that was nice.

Cons

I worked at the global service center and there were so many conS. First, they treat their employees like elementary aged children. Employees are severely micro managed. Micro-managed to no end. The leaders there don't practice what they preach. Horrible work life balance. Felt like I was working at a sweat shop. Sundays were required. Unresponsive HR department.

Advice to Management

please stop micromanaging your employees. trust TheM.

"Beware of the Global Service Center"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love working with people who shared my values. I also liked the location, because it's walking distance from trax.

Cons

So.many.cons.

I've never cried at work until I came to this place. Working here has truly taken away my faith in humanity. Here's why:

1) They micromanage you TO THE BONE! I'm talking, we have daily "priority" checklists. PLUS, we are required to report an hourly breakdown of our days.
    2) If you go over your break by a minute, you'll be told that if that happens again--it will be reported to HR
    3) toxic work environment
    2) crappy hours
    3) non-responsive HR. I can't go into details here. but so many things have been reported and they did NOTHING.
    4) management's unwillingness to work with your school schedule. if you're a student, forget this place. you'll never be done with your degree! Then, you'll be stuck here forever. (I've seen it happen...)
    5) You'll be taken advantage of. And let me elaborate--you're hired as a customer service representative but they give you "Subject Matter Expert tasks." That means, you could be writing knowledge base articles, doing quality assurance for calls, training new people. And all of that for NO pay increase.
    6) They will bombard you with things to do. So many things to do--all the time! And when you don't do them, management sends out nasty emails about you wasting the lord's money.
    7) You have to ask--via team chat--to go to the bathroom. (are we in elementary school?)

Advice to Management

Please stop treating us like children.

"It is Garbage"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

We have pretty good benefits, which I believe is the main reason that many people stay here. I don't need to use my brain very often so I can listen to a lot of good podcasts while working. If you are a yes-man, never want to question "authority", and you really like those short feel-good church propaganda videos, then you will probably enjoy it here and most likely thrive.

Cons

-Very political and hostile environment where everyone has their own agenda and are not afraid to back stab.
    -Terrible leadership that definitely does not practice what they preach.
    -A lot of judging among peers and people are very unfriendly towards each other.
    -Very little vacation time.
    -Mandatory shutdowns where you have to use 8 or 9 of your 12 annual vacation days on certain times of the year when they choose.
    -Not very much trust and delegation, but a whole lot of micro-managing.
    -Nobody follows the HR policies.
    -Sometimes your job is treated like a job and other times its treated like a church calling depending on what they want from you.
    -You will get thrown into a new assignment or job with no training or pay raise and are expected to perform like you are a trained professional.
    -Poor communication all around.
    -A lot of unethical people doing unethical things, which is very shocking when you expect working for the church to be a spiritual experience.
    -Lack of integrity in the way things are done.
    -Most people I know here don't really enjoy their jobs but everyone is afraid to speak up because of how they have treated others who have done so before.
    -Because it is a church run business, people won't speak up or verbally oppose leadership because it is seen as opposing the church itself, so people can get away with a lot.
    -The lunch room is like a prison where everyone is divided up into their ethnicity "gangs".
    -Expectations are too high for the amount you are paid.
    -A lot of blaming others instead of taking responsibility.
    -If you give your opposing opinion, people are not afraid to turn on you on a dime with no compassion or love.
    -No job security, since they will change things around in an instant with no explanation or reason.
    -Leadership says they want feedback but they rarely really do. If you just agree and say yes all the time you will go far here.
    -All in all it's just a very uncomfortable environment.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach when it comes to leadership. Read, understand, and follow the HR policies...too many times I have seen discrimination such as looking to hire men because they are "stronger", not promoting someone because they are too old, and sexual harassment such as seeing someone from upper management going around and giving the young pretty Latino women back rubs which is just creepy to everyone else around. Also get rid of mandatory shutdowns where we are forced to use 8 of our 12 annual vacation days on the days that you choose.

"The Church thinks they are like Google or Microsoft"

Former Employee - Engineer in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Riverton, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Located in Riverton surrounded by businesses and restaurants.
    * Commute was not too bad since it is located in south Salt Lake county
    * In-house cafeteria
    * In-house gym

Cons

1. The managers place their hiring decisions and work decisions based on getting the "warm fuzzies" over logic and rational thinking.
    2. The work place is so toxic, example: as a new employee I shared an office with an intern that was hardly there. The other church employees were upset that I essentially had my own office.
    3. My manager did not like the fact that I was asking how to get promoted to a "Senior Engineer" vs "Engineer". I am a minority and the Church sees minorities as "Lamanites" (Church scriptures explain why Lamanites have darker skin).
    4. Why say a prayer over software bugs?
    5. I saw a program manager get promoted due to her managers not wanting her around them e.g. "You screw up, you move up".
    6. The passive aggressive is so thick in the work environment e.g. numerous occasions our program manager said "Better to ask for forgiveness, then permission".
    7. Mandatory company assemblies to listen to talks from the Church general authorities (GA)

Advice to Management

Do some research on your beliefs.

"The Global Service Center (of disappointment)"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative: IT Support in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a few pros. Number one being the benefits package. The benefits package is one of the best in the market! And that's why people stay. The location is also nice. It's close to trax and the frontrunner. Last but not the least, I really liked working with people who shared the same values as me.

Cons

There are so many more downsides than there are pros. First, there are no opportunities for advancement. I've been here for almost five years and I'm in the same position as when I started and it's not like I don't try. I've applied many, many times. Second, the corporate culture is something to frown upon. If you don't fit the typical Utah Mormon mold, best of luck to you. Prepare for some scrutiny. There's no professional development here. Also, they don't offer any onsite perks. You just work, work, work, work, and work. Management also never shows appreciation for their employees. There is NO autonomy and you are not allowed to make your own decisions. Your breaks are timed and if you go over just ONE MINUTE, you'll be reported. If you go on the internet while on your shift, you will be reported. They also keep track of how much time you spend off the phones. If you're not busy enough, they'll give you a "Subject Matter Expert TASK" like training other people, doing quality assurance on calls, writing instructions (technical writing) but for no additional pay. BUT, taking calls is your FIRST priority. There is no sort of flexibility in your schedule. You are expected to live and breathe work.

There's an overwhelming amount of things to do on a day-to-day basis.

But perhaps the most disappointing thing about this place is, they don't practice what they preach. Employees are expected to treat work like church and are expected to "lead like the savior," but management treats us all like we're disposable. The turnover here is quite high, because if you had other options, why would you stay in a place that makes you feel like you're nothing? The people who end up staying are those who have no other choice. This place doesn't tend to keep "the best" talent. Instead, it tends to keep those who have nowhere else to go--which says a lot about the corporate culture they've cultivated here.

Advice to Management

Have a little more trust in your employees, will you?

"Assenbly line and custodian"

Current Employee - Custodian in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Custodian in Mesa, AZ

Pros

I like working for this company. I got to learn how to do the assembly line and now they have me doing custodian

Cons

Always working with people everyday

Advice to Management

Teach people to get along

"there are good things and bad things"

Pros

great co-workers, everyone helps each other for the most part. I enjoy the work and it is a huge diverse infrastructure with lots of interesting technologies. There are tons of opportunities for ambitious engineers.

Cons

the HR department is a joke. they are by far the worst HR department of any company i have ever worked with. They change their policies to suit their mood and get themselves out of work. I have seen them do several things which I and others consider unethical. They have been doing a salary evaluation of the entire ICS department for almost 2 years, and of course have put promotions on hold during that entire time. ridiculous. If you want to move forward in your career they force you to lose your FTE spot and go back to contingent. inexcusable.

Advice to Management

the management team is filled with spineless yes men. many of them could leave tomorrow and there would be no impact or difference. No one would even notice. This organization is held together and run by the engineers, which is mostly a good thing. the managers are really irrelevant.

"Very low pay for the job, decent benefits, massive cult environment dark underbelly"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workers are decent people. Locations are all owned by the church, main office where the leadership is based is pristine. Satellite offices of the massive operations often have to resort to furnishing with old donated furniture.

Cons

From the very low pay you are required to donate 10% back to the church to keep your "worthiness". And they audit this. Benefits are from church companies, all very incestuous to enrich founding church families, also how contracts are chosen so member donations that fund these operations make their way into elite pockets. No accountability to members you are just supposed to never question the leadership, that's how the church works, unlike other churches. Must be a full-blown member with a temple recommend to work there. Constant surveillance for behavior and thoughts not up to "church standards", meaning full cult assimilation. Ridiculous policies that often prevent you from using your tech skills to do your job. Smart, independent thinkers need not apply. If you can stomach such things, go for it!

Advice to Management

Acquire some ethics.