The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Reviews | Glassdoor

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Reviews

Updated February 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • The options to move to Full Time are not as prominent (in 14 reviews)

• The dress code requires suit and tie, very formal (in 11 reviews)

1. "Love Working Here"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Focused on a great mission.
    For the stress level, excellent pay
    Very flexible about family needs

Cons

Often wonder how some people still work here.
    Passive aggressive culture where if someone disagrees with you, they will try to not say anything, but slow-roll everything until the task is irrelevant.

Advice to Management

Don't have people managers that don't understand the work of their employees.

"Know What You're Getting into Before Working for The Church"

Former Employee - Digital Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Digital Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the spiritual aspects the work I did for the Church while employed there for over 7 years. It was great to have a sense of doing something worthwhile for the world and something that would have positive eternal repercussions. I feel like I grew much spiritually while there, due to the nature of the work and my associations with many wonderful people there.

Cons

There were many frustrations with working for the Church. There seemed to be endless levels of bureaucracy at times that prevented much work from being done. I also saw many inefficiencies and wastes of money, nothing uncommon to any large organization, but difficult to watch nonetheless because it's the widow's mite. Also, like elsewhere in the world, you will run into dishonest people, and people too full of pride to admit when they are wrong. One of the commons problems was with people up and down the management chain trying much harder to please their superiors than to delight the millions of people who actually use their products and services. This leads to the launch of products and services that the leadership may feel good about but which turn out to be less than helpful to the very people they were intended to benefit.

Advice to Management

Work on improving the culture of Church employment. In the vacuum of an intentional company culture, inappropriate behaviors and attitudes become commonplace.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Pros

Awesome benefits, good environment, and great people to work with.

Cons

Can be a very conservative, top-down organization in some areas.

5. "Awesome , Caring, great bennies"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanic in Eagle Mountain, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanic in Eagle Mountain, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (More than 10 years)

Pros

Training, Individual growth, loving, caring, excellent benefits . A wonderful safe, clean working environment. Great people to work with that have great morals.

Cons

Usual upper managent control, there is always the typical levels of employment that are upper management that create their direction from the typical book study advice as opposed to learning actual success ideas from employees

Advice to Management

Listen and use experienced employees advice

6. "Good environment for the most part"

Pros

Working for a purpose I believe in and am passionate about.

Cons

Many processes need to be updated, and made more robust.

7. "Excellent employer"

Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to do good things for others. The culture is very family oriented. There's a general feeling of common purpose and teamwork.

Cons

This is a very large, diverse corporation with a lot of bureaucracy. It takes a while to learn how to maneuver through all the formalities. For some, this difficulty becomes a deal-breaker.

8. "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Former Employee - Film/Video Producer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Film/Video Producer in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Being able to write and produce videos that actually reach their intended audience and help people.

Cons

Need to be LDS to work there (not a "con" to me since I am LDS). Many, MANY levels of approvals on projects can make progress slow.

"Abusive Managers in Temple Department"

Former Employee - Temple Department Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Temple Department Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Under the right manager it would be a great environment

Cons

Poor Pay - Lived paycheck to paycheck. Had very abusive managers and worked daily in a hostile work environment. Abuse in LDS Church Employment is real, many people don't think abuse can happen when employed by a church. I was forced out by my abusers and the abusers were protected by the legal team and still have their jobs. I had 8 years of "exceeds" and "greatly exceeds" (BYU + Church Employment) yet after 9 days at a new job at the Temple Department my job was threatened by an abusive manager and he made good on his threats to terminate me. I was a whistle blower and got forced out. I can't provide details here but use a search engine to search for "Abuse in LDS Employment" and you will find my blog where you can get full details and then make up your own mind. Employment by the church was the worst employment experience in my life and it should have been the best. I still believe the church is true despite what I went through. I wrote the HR Department, Temple Department, and General Authorities and all ignored me multiple times. They won't even respond to my letters despite the abuse I suffered and the evidence I presented. It was really shocking and incredibly unbelievable that they would ignore such damning facts about their managers. After 10 years I am still in shock. Abuse occurred as an employee of a temple and as an employee in the Temple Department. I learned the hard way that Church Employment does not care about their employees - I was used, abused, and then discarded. I resigned before they could fire me because I was "not a good fit". I pressed my manager hard when he came in to inform me that I was being let go because I was not a good fit and he said my work was excellent and there were no problems with me as an employee or my work - and I recorded it. Interestingly, when I appealed they suddenly found reasons for my termination. That shows a severe lack of integrity but it's legal - they can fire you for no reason and get away with it. And, they did. Just be warned church employment is not always blissful. I went through years of hell under abusive and powerful men and the Church Employment has shown they do not care it happened.

Advice to Management

When an employee comes forward and reveals their manager is hostile and abusive, and that illegal, unethical, immoral, and dishonest acts are occurring, you need to deal with the issue head on rather than trying to bury and silence the victim who is being abused. I will no longer be silenced and my last option now is to go public with the abuse with the hope that something will change in Church employment to protect the victims rather than the abusers.

10. "Great Place"

Pros

Great place to work. Great environment.

Cons

Contingent status is a gamble

11. "Portrfolio Director"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Excellent environment. Great team. Strong value emphasis. Extremely good work life balance. Second to none benefits.

Cons

Many levels of bureaucracy due to the nature of the work and the need to correlate items before they reach customers.

Advice to Management

None