The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It demoralizing to see your full time counter parts get better benefits with lower expectations (in 19 reviews)

• Dress code is business casual :( I miss shorts, flip flops, and hats (in 13 reviews)

1. "Very good company to work with!"

Current Employee - Custodian
    Current Employee - Custodian

Pros

Church insurance is very good, the benefits are amazing.

Cons

I don't see any downside working for the church. I know some people don't like to work for the church because has a lot favoritism.

2. "Volunteer Auxiliary Leader at LDS Church"

Current Employee - Volunteer Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Volunteer Manager in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The LDS Church has a lay-clergy, meaning there are no paid members of the clergy. Working on a volunteer basis for the church is extremely rewarding. I have been able to utilize and develop my skills in leadership, public speaking, community outreach, organization, teaching, problem-solving, mediation, etc.

Cons

It can be frustrating and stressful at times - and you have to learn to balance your church service with family and career - but the rewards are immeasurable.

3. "Positive environment to work in"

Pros

You work with good people who are aligned with helping others . It is a low pressure job and they prioritize having a life other than work.

Cons

Sometimes things seem to move along slowly because decisions you make impact a large number of people and their lives.

Advice to Management

Establish best practices and rules that everyone must follow. Need to streamline so we can help more people live better lives.

4. "Processing clerk"

Pros

Great environment, lots of work, work is easy. Great cafeteria and break rooms.

Cons

A lot of older people work there and they can sometimes be stuck in the past, and kind of annoying.

5. "Support Specialist Senior"

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here for over 10 years. Great work environment and people. Good benefits, if full-time. Great balance of work and life. Career opportunities depend on location and role.

Cons

The remuneration could be improved.

6. "Dream Job"

Former Employee - Executive Secretary in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Executive Secretary in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for the LDS Church was the best time of my career. I had the best coworkers and supervisors anyone could ever ask for. I had many opportunities for growth and development. I highly recommend working here, especially in the Priesthood Department.

Cons

I wish I could work remotely. Heck, I would work for free if possible.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I cannot express my gratitude enough.

"You have to have a strong testimony"

Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Riverton, UT
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Riverton, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits but and work/life balance

Cons

There is a lot of politics. People in positions of leadership that are not qualified.

"Some departments are great and some are a nightmare."

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time

Pros

You can miss work all the time and take time off, especially if its for family. Sometimes a whole team would be out of the office for their own spontaneous, individual reasons.

Cons

Residents in the area warned me about working at the church office building. I thought it would be a Zion-like society where people respected each other and it would be a healthy environment. Some departments are great but I wasn't in a healthy dept and I met other people who also experienced trauma, psychological abuse and sexual harassment in different departments. I was gaslighted and sexually harassed within my group, and my coworkers often would joke about being able to get rid of people if they didn't like them. So I was afraid to say anything, I couldn't afford to lose my job. I have never in any job experienced the level of toxicity I did in that job. My coworkers destroyed others everyday, they made everyone look bad to upper management and shifted the blame to others whenever they could. I tried to tell management what was happening but my team would come back and blame me and say its my problem and to deal with it. It was such an abusive environment. I also feel bad for my friends in other departments who experienced horrible trauma, one even said working for the church was a lot worse than going through divorce.

Also, management often doesn't to want to hear input, and it is insanely difficult to get paid even the average/normal wage for your skill sets. Its frustrating to hear you get blessed in other ways for taking a steep pay cut while you're struggling to make ends meet.

People often don't like talking about these events at the church office because it often affects others negatively and impacts their view of the church, but this isn't uncommon. I was surprised so many people warned me prior to working there. The church itself is good, but the corporate side can be a mess sometimes.

Advice to Management

Management needs to watch out for their employees and not protect abusive people. I have seen people leave the church after working there, I even met someone who became suicidal afterwards. I really hope they take this seriously.

"Great!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, you'll always be surrounded by kind people. It's also satisfying knowing that your efforts at work do some real good in the world. If you're on board with the church and its mission, you'd truly be hard pressed to find a better place to work. Benefit packages are also very good.

Cons

While the environment is generally incredible, most people in management don't take feedback well. Management is HIGHLY political, mechanistic, and old school. Promotion and advancement is very difficult and pay is low. All church software you will use will be poorly designed and infuriatingly unreliable.

Advice to Management

Learn to value feedback and ideas from all employees. Encourage it! Don't resent it or try to stifle good ideas or vital feedback that could streamline processes and performance. And please, for the love, invest in better software for your employees.

10. "UX"

Former Employee - Ixd in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - Ixd in Riverton, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture. Cool people. Great mission

Cons

Pay is lower. Pace is frustratingly slow.

Advice to Management

Grow from within.