The Claremont Colleges Reviews | Glassdoor

The Claremont Colleges Reviews

Updated Dec 19, 2019

3.4
The Claremont Colleges CEO Robert A. Walton (no image)
Robert A. Walton
  1. "Good place to learn, earn and grow"

I have been working at The Claremont Colleges part-time

Pros

Its a good working environment which lets you learn and grow while techning you the basic necessities of work that needs to be done.

Cons

Can't think of any rn

The Claremont Colleges2019-11-13
  2. "What a horrible place to work! its cancer!"

Former Employee - Electrician in Claremont, CA

I worked at The Claremont Colleges full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good thing about this place is you can go hide somewhere and take a nap because management has no clue whats going on.

Cons

everything is horrible there! the amount of turnover is crazy ive never been in a place that has as many people leave as this place. Ive never worked for a more screwed up place in my entire life! Upper management have some type of mental disorder. The amount of mismanaging going on is insane, i honestly cant believe they are still functioning as a business. There is so much turn over for this company because when you start your first day, you realize what a disaster you got your self into that you try to get out as quick as you can. There are some really good supervisors for some of the trades there, but dont get me started on a certain person on the electrical side. How a certain someone even gets dressed in the morning is a miracle in its self. that certain person is late every morning, and during the day you can find that certain person sleeping in his work truck down the street. The crazy part is everyone knows he does it but yet still has a job!!! Explain that to me. You have been warned. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Claremont Colleges2019-12-19
  3. "Freedom at workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

I have been working at The Claremont Colleges full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work for the Claremont Colleges and I must say that the work here is super intense, yet super chilled. There is very less or comparatively no micro management and you are expected to know and do your job without much of others interference.

Cons

No cons as such.

The Claremont Colleges2019-10-27

"Not up to par"

Current Employee - Library

I have been working at The Claremont Colleges full-time

Pros

Colleges are great and working with students is very rewarding.

Cons

Toxic political environment. The organization thinks of itself as purely administrative and forgets that it’s main purpose is to “serve” the Colleges. Slow pace. Subpar to the services that the Colleges provides it’s faculty, staff, and students. Excessive meetings and committees.

The Claremont Colleges2019-10-24

"Stay away if at all possible"

Current Employee - Administrative in Claremont, CA

I have been working at The Claremont Colleges full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Retirement, Cafe $2 lunches

Cons

Management doesn't know what they're doing!!! One high-up in particular, be very careful. If you're not a favorite, she will treat you horribly, talk down to you, yell at you in front of others. She intimidates some of her employees and makes decisions for them without their input. It's almost like a "bow down and do as I say" attitude. And you basically HAVE to do what she says, the way that she says it, otherwise you fear for your job. That you'll be the next one on her "I dislike you" list and will then be talked crap about and treated horribly. Management doesn't do anything about it. If this person were gone, the atmosphere would definitely change. She talks very negatively about employees that she doesn't like in the presence of her department. When she's mad, SHE'S MAD! Stay out of her way or you could become a casualty of TCCS. Because of the fact that she talks bad about others to her own employees, usually her "favorites", that causes them to treat those people badly. Sometimes you walk through this building and some people in that department won't even look at you. It's like you're invisible. There are a LARGE amount of employees who feel the wrath of this VP throughout the Claremont Colleges. She causes many people to have to walk on eggshells around her. There is no real pay structure. New employees are brought in at higher rates than others who have been here for years. Even more than some people who have been here 10+ years in the same type of role! Management doesn't take the time to look at the job responsibilities and the difficulty level. With the new Workday system in place, some positions have 3 times the workload due to data issues. In comparison to other schools, the pay for hourly employees is SUB-PAR. Management pay though is WAY over the top.

The Claremont Colleges2019-10-17
  6. "Great Working Environment for students"

Former Employee - Peer Health Educator in Claremont, CA

I worked at The Claremont Colleges part-time for more than a year

Pros

Really good working environment and very helpful about scheduling for students.

Cons

There is an hour cap

The Claremont Colleges2019-09-05

"Don't get stuck here"

Former Employee - Staff

I worked at The Claremont Colleges full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Slow pace if you want that.

Cons

Low pay, constant meetings. No raises.

The Claremont Colleges2019-09-04
  8. "great community to work in"

Current Employee - Library Assistant

I have been working at The Claremont Colleges full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great, there's a lot of task variety.

Cons

Things can be political and take some time to make change

The Claremont Colleges2019-07-09
  9. "Communications Dispatcher"

Current Employee - Communications Dispatcher I in Claremont, CA

I have been working at The Claremont Colleges full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, wonderful environment, friendly people

Cons

At will employment, no room for advancement

The Claremont Colleges2018-10-04

"The good employees are fleeing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

I worked at The Claremont Colleges full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lovely campuses, great colleges for students--I think if you work for the actual colleges the pros are much more. CUC, not so much. Can't think of a reason that would bring me back there. I'd rather wait tables for the rest of my life than return.

Cons

This is a subservient institution for the colleges, and as such can be very challenging. I had at least a dozen supervisors from all of the colleges. New administration is neither positive nor tolerable. Administration was great in the past, and it used to be a wonderful place to work. I thought I'd retire from CUC, but then the old administration left and a fear-based administration took over. Wouldn't return again or recommend this company until there are significant changes, particularly in senior leadership.

The Claremont Colleges2018-01-18

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 21 reviews