The Clorox Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Clorox Company Chief Executive Officer Benno Dorer
Benno Dorer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Encourage work/life balance, but not really enforced based on workload given" (in 23 reviews)

• "Decision making can be slow given matrix structure" (in 45 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oakland, CA

I have been working at The Clorox Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of Clorox is the people!
    Culture of teamwork
    Work life balance that is pretty good
    Clear vision and strategy from leadership
    Employees are empowered to drive there own career development and to improve there work

Cons

Pay is not on par with Bay Area wages/cost of living
    Takes to long for decision to be made (slow corporate processes)

Advice to Management

Continue to drive the strong culture
    Increase willingness to take risks
    Improve compensation

2. "great work life balance"

I have been working at The Clorox Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work life balance and morals

Cons

none that i can think of

Advice to Management

great

3. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Clorox Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People. Competitive Salaries. Management Support. Diverse and Inclusive Environment

Cons

Pipeline for progression is tight after senior manager level.

4. "Good company/products but overly competitive colleagues"

Current Employee - Associate Global Insights Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Global Insights Manager

I have been working at The Clorox Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company that knows how to run several business units
    Charismatic upper management
    You learn a ton - this place runs like a well oiled machine
    Free products!

Cons

Too much internal competition with colleagues for promotions - which leads to less idea sharing and collaboration
    Some middle managers need to check their egos and just be real
    You may leave here feeling dumb because people are afraid to show any weakness
    No discount parking at the Oakland office for employees

Advice to Management

Need more diversity of thought! There’s little respect for those who think out loud and are divergent thinkers open to exploring new possibilities. Also helping/teaching others does not seem to increase your value as an employee - if your projects don’t have good business results (often times not your fault) there’s no way to show your value.

"Older Corporate Culture Struggling to Embrace Change & Diversity"

Current Employee - Marketing in Oakland, CA

I have been working at The Clorox Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HQ is located in the SF Bay Area, High-quality talent, great work/life balance, great brands, people are generally passionate about their business & strive for excellence, great resources, discounts on company products (Burt's Bees, Vitamins, etc.), opportunities to score box seats @ Oakland Arena (Warriors games, etc.), great place to start your career/learn the consumer goods business, looks good on your resume to have worked @ Clorox.

Cons

Very limited growth and opportunities (it can take years to be promoted even as a top performer), reactive to current market vs. anticipating needs of the market 5+ years out, benefits getting worse every year (less and less is covered & higher costs), lower pay to Bay Area standards, no fun perks (free lunch/snacks, etc.), old school corporate mentality, slow to react/change, Clorox "Nice" culture is just a facade as the way people are actually evaluated and supported is very cutthroat and more aligned with encouraging "in-the-box" thinking (the movie Pleasantville comes to mind). I've never before worked for a company in which managers/superiors are took credit for my ideas and work to help further promote their careers, and I've learned this is a widespread issue/commonly known part of the Clorox culture.

Advice to Management

Focus on staying relevant: Brands need to stay relevant by shifting focus from reactionary to being open to where the business will need to evolve to stay relevant.

Truly Embrace Diversity & Inclusion: Have to do a lot more than just talk about diversity, there is a huge shift that needs to happen culturally to ensure diversity (race/ethnicity/age/other points of view) are truly embraced. Typically this involves working with a qualified outside consultant agency (and openness to their suggestions) to make this happen. Creating an "Inclusion & Diversity" task force comprised of internal managers who are already being fast-tracked because they subscribe to "the Clorox way", which ironically is what is inhibiting inclusion, is NOT an effective way to address the issues around inclusion. This is critical if you truly are committed to fixing the diversity retention/slower to promote issue.

Jan 24, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Operations Manager

Thank you for your feedback and comments. We are always striving to improve as a company and we are open and welcoming of all ideas from within or outside the walls of our organization. Inclusion... More

6. "Solid CPG with good work-life balance and smart people"

Current Employee - Marketing in Oakland, CA

I have been working at The Clorox Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong values. Great people. Interesting work on a strong set of brands. Good work-life balance vs. other industries. I've had great managers.

Cons

Lots of hierarchy. Narrow job roles. Not fast moving. Difficult for some to advance. Big-company bureaucracy can get frustrating.

Advice to Management

Flatten the hierarchy. Embrace different work styles. Streamline innovation to go faster.

Jan 29, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Operations Manager

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Clorox. We appreciate your feedback on ways we can continue to improve and innovate.

7. "Smart People and Great Opportunities"

I have been working at The Clorox Company full-time

Pros

-Access and visibility to leadership
    -Highly intelligent colleagues
    -Opportunity to have autonomy and impact

Cons

-Slow to make decisions and execute both small and large enterprise initiatives
    -Compensation could be better and more commensurate for the Bay Area especially

Advice to Management

-Listen when employees give feedback
    -Analysis of compensation packages in order to be more in line with Bay Area companies

Jan 29, 2019

We appreciate your insight regarding The Clorox Company. We are always striving to improve as a company and love hearing your feedback about changes to our Total Rewards package. We will share your... More

8. "TPO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at The Clorox Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is an easy job

Cons

some co-workers are hard to deal with

9. "Good culture, work/life balance"

Current Employee - Associate Sales Planning Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Sales Planning Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at The Clorox Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good culture, work/life balance, and competitive pay. It's an up or out organization, you must always be thinking about your next move. This is good for professional development, but sometimes bad for business as people are constantly moving around, not learning enough about that particular business unit.

Cons

Difficult to move up in salary unless you're promoted. High level of workload.

Advice to Management

Keep people in positions longer than 1-2 years and work more carefully on succession plans. I've had many people move off our business and then I have to get people up to speed quickly, just to have them leave in a year.

Jan 14, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Operations Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your experience at Clorox. We appreciate your positive feedback and also your suggestions for change and will share them internally as we... More

"The reality of Clorox"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at The Clorox Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance
    Great people
    Not ego-driven
    Everyone willing to help

Cons

Lack of career support/growth
    Pay is not consistent with other companies
    We are asked to be BOLD and cut costs when possible but seems like the company is willing to spend on non-essential items.
    If you are not favored by your manager, it will be very difficult to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Invest more money into us, yes, that means increasing our pay. I think Clorox does a great job of projecting our image, but internally it doesn't reflect what you are putting out.

Dec 26, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback and concerns about your time at Clorox. We invite you to reach out to your ER consultant to provide more specific feedback or email HR@Clorox your contact... More