The Collier Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
J. Andrew Hogshead

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I was told that as a part time employee I was on call 24-7 and had to come in anytime they called whether I was scheduled or not (in 7 reviews)

• Dealing with upper management can be unfair (in 6 reviews)

1. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at The Collier Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room to grow and ways to move up within the company. The work environment is great and it's easy to learn! Long term benefits are great.

Cons

No cons about this company

"changing culture that hinders the work environment and attitude."

Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

plenty of educational opportunities outside of company

Cons

non competitive salaries, lack of communication with upper management

3. "Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies (More than a year)

Pros

The schedule was very flexible and you get to work with some great people! You have a sense of empowerment when it comes to helping residents with issues.

Cons

They don't allow you to work more than 20 hours if you are part time.

4. "Good for a beginner"

Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at The Collier Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of promotion within, great commission opportunities

Cons

Lower wages, political environment

"Resident relations"

Former Employee - Resident Relations in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Resident Relations in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well, at least I know now what NOT to do as a property manager.
    I left a little stronger and a little wiser

Cons

If you have integrity, you will eventually get yourself in trouble. You will eventually feel like a car salesman, ripping off young people and making up excuses and lies for the upper managements lies and excuses to residents. Residents who are more or less fresh out of their parents house and often a long way from home. They don't know they are being scammed , basically ignored and mistreated because many of them have nothing to compare this first experience to. Parents are bamboozeled and conned as well. "fine print" leases and flat out lies. I can't tell you how many conversations I had with mothers and fathers worried to death for the welfare of their children, all the while knowing that (when the child does make it out of there) the plan is to hit them with astronomical damage charges that are falsely accused against the resident thereby holding the parent liable to pay or else turn them over to collections. That's just one example of the difficult and sometimes hopeless conversations I was having while, my instructions from the property manager was "don't even tell them who I am or they will never leave me alone"
    It's a cut throat environment within the company so you see a lot of jumping around for appearances and scrambling to make sure corporate doesn't see the real office environment. You quickly realize that when big brother isnt watching, doors will slam and management will take 3 hour lunches or even go on vacation without even notifying the office staff.
    I stayed and tried for the residents. I told them I would try to help them and I did. I was already getting in job offers from other companies and when I was discussing in interviews what I was personally going through, a couple employers already knew about collier companies reputation and warned me to keep a log of everything. And i am warning you now,
    Keep a log of everything
    if you feel like you're being harassed or if anything seems to be unfair or just wrong wrote it down and protect YOUR reputation. Try to make a liaison with corporate office.
    Regional managers are just senior cut throats so try to find someone at the big office that might be there to listen to you should you need them.
    No matter what, keep your integrity, treat the residents right they need someone on their side . The hugs and thank you so get even still around town are more rewarding than any paycheck ever was. I hope someone succeeds where I failed, I really mean that.
    Keep in mind that this company uses a reputation Internet software that alerts them when their "ratings" are low and will have anyone and everyone they can bribe to come onto (even this site) and write some "hotdogs and butterfly's" review to boost them back up. Notice how candid they sound?
    I am writing this all from my phone so forgive any errors I have made. It's not an easy story to have to tell.

Advice to Management

Mr. Nathan Collier seemed like an real and honest entrepreneur and leader. It's funny I was listened my to his YouTube speeches and "talks" the night before I was "terminated"
    I knew I was going to be the sacrificial goat but again, I stayed on for the residents.
    I don't have any advice because I was only a tree in the forest. But if he ever sees this (or anyone in the executive office sees this) that he or she will listen to my experience and perhaps go out and listen to some other trees who need to tell you something but can't be heard. I ended up with a better job making more money soon after I left the company so this is not a letter of vengeance or animosity. It's just me making one last "try" for the young people who became my friends and taught me more than the company ever did.

6. "Great company to learn and grow!"

Current Employee - Leasing Manager, Marketing Director in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Leasing Manager, Marketing Director in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at The Collier Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome place to start and learn sales/marketing as well as management, they promote form within, great culture, committed to growth, supportive management, creative and open to new ideas!, if you work hard you will get ahead

Cons

maybe not the best pay in the world, but competitive within their industry

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I am thankful for my time with you. Great launching pad to my business endeavors in sales and marketing.

7. "Okay companies"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies (More than 3 years)

Pros

A fun flexible environment.

Cons

Office politics. Often time forced to sell overpriced housing to students. the pay sucked. Only made good money during leasing season.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees

8. "Leasing Agent"

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice overall work environment, great regional managers.

Cons

Poor Training, Management takes commissions by "making first contact"

Advice to Management

Train employees

9. "Looking for a career? It's here."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Gainesville, FL

Pros

I've been with the The Collier Companies a while now, numerous years. Company has been expanding quite a bit; lots of training and educational opportunities both within the company and locally. Leadership is strong, hands on, and they actually care about their employees' happiness and success (I.E. you're not just a "number" in an organization....you're a person) and compensation is very competitive with the market. If you're willing to work hard, you'll get a lot of out your job.

Cons

Not a 9-5 job and some of the day-to-day isn't as exciting as other times of the year.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee happiness and continue to invest in the employee; reciprocity is strong.

"Could be a great company...don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Ocala, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is so much potential for this to be a great company. But once you figure out what's behind the curtain, it's disappointing. There's a huge facade of caring about the employees. Nope. You are as expendable as dirty socks. The owner sends blogs daily about one thing, but his actual practices totally contradict those blogs. He makes irrational decisions that hurt the properties and make it so hard to function and be successful. And everybody in any capacity to reason with him, is afraid to tell him the problems.

Cons

The entire regional staff is so far removed from being onsite. They bombard the onsite teams with so many things, that they all become overwhelmed and stressed out all the time. Moral is always low. People are in constant fear of their jobs. Property visits from the owner and regional team members are often negative experiences, all the work you and your team have killed themselves over go unnoticed because all the owner can see is some leaves in a gutter and a dirty window. And heaven forbid you actually try to properly staff your office. If a leasing specialist is sitting at a computer it is automatically assumed they aren't doing anything and they must be let go because you are overstaffed.

Advice to Management

I could go on and on. Best advice would be to listen to your teams onsite. Let them feel like they can voice their concerns and actually be heard. Stop keeping information from the owner because your afraid to tell him important things that effect his company. If people are leaving because they are so unhappy, take notice of that. FIX it. He always says somebody's perception is their reality. This perception is reality.