The Columbus Organization Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Case Manager"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible job with good benefits. Health savings account is great. I love helping families find resources they need. Supervision is very responsive.

Cons

Honestly, there are not many. Sometimes you have to travel a bit to get to meetings. Some of the state required paperwork is repetitive.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "RUN!"

I worked at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros! Worst company ever!

Cons

Everything! Trust me you don't have time for this mess!

Advice to Management

Shut up! Nobody wants to hear you delegate duties you don't even know how to do!

3. "loved the work but was not a supportive company environment"

I worked at The Columbus Organization full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working with my clients and their families. Working from home was great at times.

Cons

There was no formal training, videos or reading a paper doesn't cover it. Director was not willing to answer questions or explain processes. At the time there also were no local meetings to gather with colleagues for consult. When I was hired I was promised one salary but was told that as soon as my caseload became billable that the salary would increase by substantionally (an actual dollar amount was given). This was a huge deal because the initial salary was not enough to pay my bills but I wanted the job so was willing to make the sacrifice since I was promised that the salary would increase. A year and a full billable case load later, that salary never increase and I was told that they didn't know when it would. It was a hard decision to give up my position but I had to take a higher paying job. And while I was willing to make myself available to my clients, I was expected to take their calls and agree to visit times outside of my normal working hours. I did my best to accommodate that but there were times that I could not do so and would be reprimanded for it, that wasn't right.

Advice to Management

Develop an actual in-person training program. Local meetings would also be supportive. And of course, salary issues need to be addressed and honored. And place a value on allowing your employees to have a healthy work-home life balance.

4. "NOT A GREAT CAREER CHOICE"

I worked at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some incredible people during my time at Columbus that i will cherish forever. The amount of care i saw in my co-workers was fantastic. They did an amazing job.

Cons

I don't really know where to begin. But let's start with the word "career". There is no career here. You are pegged in a certain position and no matter how many times i asked for more assignments and to move my career upwards no one ever gave me a straight answer and frankly didn't care. The President of the company only cares about one thing, $$$. If they're not making it then people are expendable. Do not waste your time here. They're going through some changes and it doesn't seem for the better, only getting worse.

Advice to Management

There needs to be some sort of shakeup. Remember why you got into this field to begin with. it's about the individuals, not the almighty $. Which, again, is all they care about.

5. "BEHAVIOR ANALYST"

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time

Pros

. Flexibility
    .Setting your own schedule
    .Self Management

Cons

.Getting a docked check if you don't meet the quarter
    . Limited opportunities for advancement
    . Frequent changes in case loads

Advice to Management

Set up an incentive system to keep employees motivated.

"15 YEARS AND GROWING!!!!"

Current Employee - Support Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Support Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been employed for over 15 years with The Columbus Organization. The Columbus Organization is an awesome company to work for. I enjoy the flexibility of my job and love that I am solely responsible for making my schedule. I enjoy not having to sit in an office all day and I am able to be out and about handling my personal business as needed with my daily job functions. My co-workers and supervisor are always willing to help with any issues that arise. Columbus gives me the tools I need to do my job; whether it be support, materials, training and or equipment.

I have recommended the Columbus Organization to several family and friends.

Cons

The hours can be a tad bothersome so it takes a great deal of organization and time management.

Advice to Management

Management has always been supportive.

"Great company"

I worked at The Columbus Organization full-time

Pros

Great company, strong administration, plenty of administrative support.

Cons

Implementation of state administrative regulations can be hit or miss, but this is more of an issue working for a company that is funded through the state.

Advice to Management

Keep employees more informed of the "why"s behind policy changes.

"Couldn't ask for more support"

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I appreciate the amount of support I receive from my supervisor and co-workers. My supervisor provides positive reminders that help keep me on track with deadlines. Even though I work from my home office I know that if I have questions my co-workers are only just a phone call or e-mail away and are always eager to assist.

Cons

Sometimes it can be difficult to stay focused in my home office. I have found that making daily checklist help me to focus on work that needs to be completed each day and helps me to meet deadlines.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer support to employees.

9. "Do not see how the company can last"

Pros

I felt like I was making a significant impact on my clients lives which I am thankful for and happy about.

Cons

One of the worst experiences in my professional career. Not nearly the job that I thought I signed up for.

Advice to Management

Times are changing but management is not.

The Columbus Organization Response

Feb 5, 2016 – Executive Director

The Columbus Organization is one of the leading case management companies in the country, successfully serving thousands of special needs individuals live productive and fulfilling lives. It it is... More

"After Working For Other CMCOs - Finally One That Really Cares About Families!"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great orientation process and supervisory structure. Nice to see that there is opportunity for advancement within the company. Never have I been with a company where Senior Leadership is so approachable.

Cons

Columbus does have a steep learning curve and some new employees have difficulty adjusting to the philosophy that the families needs come first. Then there's the amount of State driven paperwork and timelines.... UGH!

Advice to Management

Continue to show us support and willingness to not only listen but to act on some of our suggestions. Can't tell you how much it is appreciated!