The Company of Others Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jose Lozano

1. "Hitting their stride"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has settled into a great groove. All teams across the agency are workin really well, and working well together. Multiple wins in 2016 and more ok the horizon for 2017 has turned the business around. The creative output is top knotch, media is smart and effective, the research team is a favorite among clients, and finally PR provides a level of attention that is second to none.

Cons

We're outgrowing our space, so things are a little tight. We have a few really large accounts that pull teams into all-hands mode. The team is small and everybody has to roll up their sleeves every once in a while, but that's also a good thing because it shows the group that we're all in it together.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing

2. "Great People, Collaborative Culture and Transparent Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone who works at The Company is friendly and helpful, which makes collaborating on projects fun and easy. The collaborative culture allows you to expand your skill set by learning from others and having the opportunity to do things outside of the scope of your role.

Cons

There aren't any significant downsides of working at The Company

"supervisor"

Former Employee - Media Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Media Supervisor in Houston, TX

Pros

great people, creative atmosphere, great clients

Cons

It's hard to move up within the company.

4. "I love coming to work everyday."

Current Employee - Brand Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Brand Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at the Company of Others for close to a year. My experience has been wonderful. I am stimulated and constantly learning. Management has allowed me to help on multiple accounts and initiatives and never feel bored. The staff and management are available and helpful and its a wonderful collaborative environment. I feel lucky to have found this job and would not hesitate to recommend the company to potential new employees and brands. As a former CMO, I wish my past agencies were as proactive, caring and available as TCOO is for their clients.

Cons

I have none. My experience has been super positive. I wish I could think of a Con, but I can't. Maybe that the downstairs deli where the offices are housed is pretty bad.

Advice to Management

Management is charged. They are ready to pursue new opportunities all the time and I think it keeps us all feeling like we can accomplish anything. I don't really understand the negative reviews about the CEO. I have found him to be available and accessible and the three founders really care. In the last set of layoffs, they went out of their way to try to save as many families as possible and as long as they keep hiring great people, I think the company will keep growing. So my advise would be- keep letting us take risks. I think it will pay off for all.

5. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Houston, TX

I worked at The Company of Others full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many companies say they view their employees as family, but the Company of Others practices it, every day. They afforded me the opportunity to strike a positive work-life balance and the workplace vibe was unlike anywhere else, in a good way. They offer great health benefits and they provide bonus opportunities for their employees. There are also summer half-days and plenty of opportunities to unwind with your coworkers inside or outside of the office. I would absolutely consider working here again in the future.

Cons

If you have a need to be busy every second of every day, this isn't the best fit for you.

Advice to Management

Request employee feedback before rolling out new company initiatives (especially ones that involve employees shifting teams and seating arrangements within the office). Continue to treat your employees as family, and continue to think differently. Partner with companies that fit the company's vision for forward-thinking advertising opportunities.

"Great Benefits, Bad Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at The Company of Others full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with at TCOO. There's a good vibe and energy coming from employees. Management works hard to give good benefits like a week off at Christmas and Summer Hours. Also, full days are 7.5 hours instead of 8.
    I thought management put in a good effort into "The Other You" but I don't think it's a success. They tried to make it fun and a way for people to connect.

Cons

The Other You - A for effort. D for execution. It ended up just being a way for employees to be grumpy. I was on one of the "challenge" teams and it felt more like a group project from college, rather than a fun way to connect with other coworkers! I also hated how inconsistent it was. The dates were constantly changing. Last - I just thought it was a big ego trip for creative people to show off. I was constantly annoyed by it.

Big con for me was the lack of structure as far as feedback and performance reviews. I think that is essential for making management better at what they do and employees can have goals.

Turnover is RIDICULOUS. I saw so many great people get laid off, and the other half of the great people ended up quitting. Please invest more into your employees. THEY NOTICE when you don't treat them well.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to make The Other You REALLY work, or abandon it. Include more departments in on it if you're going to keep it.

Make performance reviews mandatory. And INVEST into keeping your employees (I'm not talking about the other you). Have bonuses, raises, opportunities for time off, don't lay off 10 employees when you lose a lot of business - especially if "you have no debt." It feels like you are giving all of us the finger - not just the person you laid off.

Feb 3, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the kind remarks and sorry for the disappointment on your part. To make a few points clear, there are now bonus plans in place for 2016 (something most ad agencies do not have). We are ... More

"They mean well but fall far short of greatness"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros include paid parking, half days roughly every other Friday in the summer, fun events like "hump day" (essentially happy hours) and a generous holiday granted between Christmas and New Years. Most of the coworkers are very nice and I really enjoy spending time with those in my department.

Cons

In a way, I think the agency's rich history is crippling in that it remains the most traditional/least forward-thinking agency I have ever worked in. I also agree with another reviewer who said that turnover (both layoffs and resignations) is pretty appalling, even by industry standards. The agency is in a constant state of panic over losing the few larger accounts it still has which leads to a lot of bad decisions including taking on new accounts with absolutely no strategic direction or plan on how to resource them. The agency is often in such a weak position with current accounts that have been serviced poorly that it has resorted to taking execution orders from clients vs setting any strategic direction which makes daily work frustrating and limiting. All of this said, probably the biggest con is TCOO's "CEO" who seems to have no clue how to run a business. In my experience, any ship with someone like this at the helm is likely to sink and TCOO is no different.

Advice to Management

Start thinking about employees as well as accounts in terms of what is best in the long-term vs only what suits you in the short-term. Focus on what you do well and stop trying to be a jack of all trades.

Sep 18, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

The advertising industry is evolving quickly. It is all about change or be left behind. We agree with the reviewer that the “old way “of doing business no longer works. However, we have been ... More

"Over worked under paid"

Current Employee - Project Management in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Management in Houston, TX

Pros

great benefits!!! they offer random small benefits such as in the summer months every other Friday is a half day. great great paid time off over Christmas that not included in your vacation/sick/time

Cons

not much respect for some departments. way over worked and under paid. Management was fair.

Advice to Management

I really have nothing to say. It was a good experience glad I moved on to something better

"Rebranding isn't a 6 month process"

Current Employee - Media in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Media in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are several pros at TCOO. First of all, summer half days, a 2 week holiday vacation, management is flexible with hours (in regards to Dr appts, sick children, leaving early to beat traffic, coming in late, picking someone up from the airport, etc), there's not a problem with social cliques, the people here are great, outstanding benefits, the work is interesting and they're always willing to let you learn, even if it has nothing to do with your current job. One pro that still shocks me today is how down to earth and relatable management is (COO, CEO, CFO, etc). They aren't the guys who never show up and have no idea what's going on in the agency. They're the guys who are personally invested, brainstorming in meetings, taking heat from the client, and actively working to make the agency succeed.

Cons

Apparently other reviewers (and a few co-workers) think that you can re-brand a company and completely change your approach to advertising and marketing in just a couple months and it will be a smooth process along the way. REALLY? It takes years to accomplish and establish a re-branded company... and that doesn't even count that the agency is completely changing their approach to how they market and advertise and pitch to clients. The one con here is that some coworkers and ex-employees are extremely entitled... they assume that because they work here for 1 year and 8 months that they suddenly deserve to jump through the ranks, earn constant praise from supervisors, and more money.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep the transparency alive within the company. Keep trusting your employees. Don't assume that employees can "absorb" added work. Keep listening to your employees. Keep being relatable. And PLEASE keep up with "the other you" campaign... it connects those of us who have a hard time connecting.

Apr 29, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the comments and support. We are now over a year into the re-brand and we are being recognized by our clients as innovators in our space.

"You Don't Want to Be in The Company of Others: They Overpromise and Underdeliver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at The Company of Others (Less than a year)

Pros

- Copious company-funded happy hours, probably to help cheer up overworked, dissatisfied and disillusioned employees.
    - Enough space to run around and hide from the people constantly asking you to work late.
    - Many empty desks to duck into with a laptop so you can search for a new job.
    - When you stare off into the distance wondering why you're still there, you can enjoy great views of Houston.

Cons

The biggest problem from which all others stem: Senior management is scattered, disjointed, unclear on their own concept, and constantly second-guessing their decisions and team. They talk big and deliver little. This trickles down into the rest of the staff being unclear on vision, mission, goals, responsibilities, and everything else they need to know in order to be productive and effective.

Advice to Management

Be the change you wish to see.