The Conference Board Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 3, 2018

3.8
Steve Odland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work load can be tough at times but the work / life balance helps to make it easier" (in 29 reviews)

• "TCB offers great flexibility to work from home, flexible hours and a great environment" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is a non-profit as such the pay is at the middle range of the pay scale for many positions" (in 13 reviews)

• "Senior management is of mixed quality" (in 9 reviews)

1. "The Conference Board Review"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time

Pros

For a smaller organization, The Conference Board works with the vast majority of the F500, providing great learning opportunities. The smaller size also allows employees to have a great deal of ownership over their work, and employees who go the extra mile are rewarded. Given the research focus of the organization, it's a great place to work for those interested in continuous learning. Flexible work schedules and remote work options provide great work-life balance.

Cons

I would like to see senior management be more open to innovative approaches to helping our customers solve their challenges.

2. "A nice balance"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. Cordial culture. Good technology for remote working. Remote work arrangements are liberal and for real; no office "face time." Future-looking. Great brand reputation gives clout to your work on the outside. High-powered members means great opportunities for networking.

Cons

Big pay cut from corporate. Few support resources. Tight budgets, which are frustrating when you want to do the highest-quality work. Management is very bottom-line focused. Mentality is you have to make your numbers and quality of work is proven by revenues that come in.

Advice to Management

Make quality of content, brand reputation, and prominence the most important goals.

3. "A breath of fresh air"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the last 6 months, there has been much positive change at the Conference Board: a new CEO with bold, fresh thinking and a positive mindset, a new organizational structure that is far more member-friendly, and much excitement about all the possible new avenues that the organization could take; stimulating work environment in the office; possibility of remote work is an definite plus to working here

Cons

So many great initiatives on drawing board but not enough resources to fund them all

"The 5 star reviews are fake"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Remote work
     no one is actively mean?

Cons

Where to begin? It's pretty much an endless list but look management is terrible. They're clearly writing all the positive reviews here themselves or HR is doing it because they're just plain lies. Very few people are happy here. There is no guidance. There is a very decent chance that the biggest money maker for the organization will be irrelevant in 2 years. Lots of gossip. Very few people are awarded for their performance rather than who they're friends with. The CEO is fine but the reviews saying new leadership is bringing new energy are just spewing BS. Also it's very ruthless when it comes to dismissing (new) people. There's a reason certain jobs are constantly open here.

Advice to Management

Why don't you actually do a listening session with the employees to solve the problems rather than make fake reviews online to trick others in working here.

"Change for the Worst"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time

Pros

Flexible Work Hours

Interesting subject matters from business trends

Cons

Competent management is non existent as they are doing a total restructuring with out thinking about any of the business implications

This is a small company with too much bureaucracy and people collecting paychecks until they retire

Low pay for the most positions and bloated compensation at the top

Advice to Management

The leadership starts from the top and if you do a google search the new CEO was named as one of the most hate CEO's in America and also previously indicted by the SEC for Accounting Fraud.

Look at the substantial decline in business as a direct result of inept Senior Executives in Business Development. Social Networking won't sell this business. There is doubt to the long term livelihood of the 100 year organization as business rely on so much free information.

Focus less on posting fake reviews to get the Company ratings up and decrease turnover. Let people have a opinion instead of making it a facade of the truth that place is not doing well as company and good people are leaving as a result.

6. "Associate Director, Marketing"

Current Employee - Associate Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Marketing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Conference Board offers a collegiate and academic work environment that is reminiscent of many Washington D.C. think tanks, which is especially fitting since we recently merged with the Committee of Economic Development and made our in-roads in the policy space. For this reason, The Conference Board generally attracts very talented and intellectually curious people who are motivated by both the research they do and delivering research to our corporate clientele in engaging and innovating ways. While we are not-for-profit, we operate in many ways like the larger consulting companies and manage to continue to perform at an incredibly high level as far as producing some of the best economic, human capital and corporate leadership research in the world.

The challenges at not-for-profits are universal--resource constrained environment where you have to wear many hats to accomplish projects, but for this reason, it is an organization that you will always be challenged in, learning, developing and growing new skills that might not be possible to acquire in larger, more bureaucratic environments. Upper-level management encourages a leadership-at-all-levels approach and for this reason you can voice your opinion and be heard and make a difference with the right balance of creativity, dedication and strong work ethic.

The work life balance is important as is the remote work offering, but more important then that is the family that you form working side-by-side with intellectually curious and motivated colleagues that have many interests within the organization and outside as well.

We provide a valuable role in making the corporate world more sustainable and the societal mission definitely contributes to the feeling that there is a mission and purpose outside of the confines of profit motive and competition. There is also ambition within the orgnization to continue to innovate and improve and you can see that in the recent transformation of our open office space that is conducive to social interaction with people at all levels in the organization. You always feel like you are in arms distance from anyone at all levels in the organization and this creates a culture of transparency that is very important .

Overall The Conference Board can create a very rewarding career path and the recent changes in leadership, including the new CEO Steve Odland, have brought new innovative ideas about our business that provide a strong basis for us to grow on our history and tradition and continue to improve as an organization. The changes in business model have created great opportunity and I'm exciting by the trajectory of the organization

Cons

Resource constraints can be a challenge as they are in any not-for-profit, but this can be an opportunity to find cost effective ways to tackle your problems to develop your own skills

Advice to Management

Management encourages leadership-at-all levels --which is exciting for new people in the organization, who are looking to grow into management positions. There are many resources provided by HR to train and develop your skills and you are always encouraged to advance your career by growing academically. I would advise management to continue valuing the "millenials" and providing opportunities for them to grow into leadership roles so we can continue to adapt to new challenges that the younger generations face. This is always a challenge of an organization with much history behind it , but I think we have made great strides to modernize and would encourage management to continue on that path.

7. "Strong Mission, Purpose and Vision"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time

Pros

I've been at The Conference Board (TCB) for 5 years and I think the organization is moving in a very good direction. The things that first attracted me to TCB were the history and non-profit mission, the kind of research TCB conducts and a wealth of expertise, and the type of clients that TCB helps. Having witnessed several changes, I can now say that they were beneficial for the organization. TCB is poised for growth. Employees and executives are friendly and always willing to help others. It is a good place to develop yourself, meet people and build relationships in a professional setting, and help clients improve their businesses. I am excited to see where TCB goes from here and to know I am a part of that.

Cons

I would like to see our various teams and departments more integrated with each other. This will help us better serve our clients and build stronger relationships.

8. "Changes at The Conference Board!"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The changes? A significant, positive change in approach to employee interaction ... at EVERY level within the organization. An attitude of collaboration and respect has become front-and-center to planning, casual conversation, and interactions with executives.

Cons

Change is tough, exercising previously little-used skills takes effort, new habits come slowly. We're still working on it - but have made significant progress.

9. "GREAT PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at The Conference Board for over thirty years. The people at this company are fantastic. It is the people that make the I have had many leaders who take the company in the direction that is necessary. That is what is happening now. All good stuff.

Cons

All work very hard to get goals and objectives done.

10. "New energy and focus is what this 100 year old non-profit needed"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance has always been a draw but over the last couple of years there is a new market focus that has made the work more interesting and much more than just a lifestyle choice. having had a number of careers, it is always better to be in a place where input into change is solicited rather than dictated. Leadership and structural changes have moved the ball from and torn down some of the prior dysfunctional silos. A positive culture with a lot of good people out to work together rather than against each other.

Cons

It is a non-profit as such the pay is at the middle range of the pay scale for many positions. The prior lack of market outreach has often made brand recognition a challenge.

Advice to Management

Continue to transition to the benefit of the market with the employee involvement in the direction. Develop compensation plans that can attract for profit talent.