The Connor Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
The Connor Group Managing Partner Larry Connor
Larry Connor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The Connor group is great at Reward and recognition (in 39 reviews)

• Really reward hard work and effort (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • So even working 45 or so hours weekly now is cake as the hours are much more conducive to having a good work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Some difficulties in balancing work life with personal life due to long hours (in 29 reviews)

"Property Management"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Connor Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Challenging
    -Team environment
    -Room for advancement
    -exceptional leadership in corporate and in the field

Cons

I honestly have no cons. The reviews are pretty clear that either this is the environment for you or not. They give you a day in the field to make that decision for yourself as well.
    I have loved my time with the Connor Group so far and would highly recommend it to anyone who is a hardworking, a self starter, or wanting to make a long lasting career choice. Especially if you are currently in retail! I will never go back!

Thanks for the feedback!

"People Count Here!"

Current Employee - Profit Center Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Profit Center Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at The Connor Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company values people who put in the time and effort to do a good job and goes out of their way to recognize them. The on going training, incentives, and rewards they offer definitly go a long way in making their employees feel valued and motivated. The benefits are also extremely competetive. The Connor Group takes care of their people. This is a company that you can feel proud to be a part of.

Cons

There aren't a lot of specific cons. I've seen some reviews that say the hours are long, but that's mostly for those who are unorganized or don't stay on task well. If you can manage your time, the hours aren't bad...plus no Holidays!!

Advice to Management

In the time i've been here i have seen continued efforts to improve/enhance training. This is important to continue. It's exciting to be a part of a company that continually develops their employees in order to allow them room for individual advancement as well as making them masters of their trade. Truely, the relentless pursuit of excellence!

Feb 13, 2018 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Appreciate the feedback. People Count!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Profit Center Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Profit Center Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Connor Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Connor Group is a great company to work for. As other reviews have said it is a difficult job, but highly rewarding.

The Work:
    The job itself takes several months before you start really catching on and then it seems to click. You just have to remember that you can't give up. If you are the type of person to give up, the job is not for you. It requires effort but the payoff is awesome. I do tell everyone that I know that this is the most difficult job I have ever had, but I love working for the company. Day to day job includes managing sales, maintenance staff, and resident issues. Attention to detail is also key in being successful. Lastly, the job is a lot like retail as each day is different and keeps you on your toes. I have been with the company over a year and still learn new things regularly. I can see it taking 1.5 years or more before you really start to feel like you know the job inside out.

The Environment:
    Being a male in a typically female led industry is nice as there is a variety of people working in the office now. This makes it so residents always have someone they are comfortable talking with and have someone they can relate to. In my opinion the diversity really helps create a better environment not only for the office, but for residents as well. Environment for the company is great as well. I really like how we are a big company, but feel like a small one. You really get to know everyone around you along with everyone at Home Office. You always have someone to call if you need help.

The Rewards:
    You get rewarded for doing a great job. Simple as that. Put in effort and produce results and you get more than just a paycheck. You get the satisfaction of knowing you did a great job PLUS the company rewards you for it. Even something as simple as staying late to fix a leak (Doing the Right Thing) with your team gets you rewarded. I would stay and do this type of work since it is what I expect of myself, but for the company to give you something extra for it and a simple Core Value/Winners Circle card for doing it makes it that much better.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard and a lot. At least for myself when I started I worked a lot of 50+ hours weekly. Part of this is just learning the new job. The faster you learn the easier it gets and the less hours you will work. Again... this goes back to effort and willingness to learn. Having come from retail I was used to 50-60 hour work weeks anyways so it wasn't a big deal. So even working 45 or so hours weekly now is cake as the hours are much more conducive to having a good work/life balance.

Feb 13, 2018 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Very detailed feedback! Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to the Columbus Awards Breakfast next week!

"Female Tech with 9+ years"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Connor Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great training
    Great team environment
    Great pay
    Career advancement
    Opportunity for Partnership

Response to a previous review
    I have been with The Connor Group for over 9 years. I'm a female maintenance tech. Since I have been with the company I know of 5 other female techs. There was a award given out at the Breakfast Awards Banquet in remembrance of Karen Kliesmit, a former female tech.
     I have worked with two salesman and worked for two property managers.
    The Recruiting Department does a excellent job of recruiting the right people for the right job. Yes there is a process of hiring qualified and trainable for the company.
    I never known anyone being fired for speaking up or offering ideas. There has been a lot of Connor associates that have given suggestions or ideas that have been implemented and being used today.
    The Connor Group celebrates their associates with reward and recognition during the Monthly meeting. Twice a year
    The Breakfast Awards Banquet recognizes associates for there work.

Cons

Summers are the busy season and there can be longer work hours

Feb 13, 2018 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback and you 9 plus years of service!

"Associate with 10 Years at The Connor Group"

I have been working at The Connor Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced, decisive leadership, adherence to core values, ample reward and recognition, career advancement opportunities, and a simple belief that people are the key to success are just some of the contributing factors as to why I haven't looked to "move-on" in the 10 years I've been with The Connor Group.

Cons

This is not a standard "40-hour-a-week, collect-your-paycheck" kind of job. The company invests in you; in turn, the company expects you to invest in it. Not a con, but certainly not for everyone out there.

Advice to Management

Continue to listening to the "troops on the ground." They see the good and the bad and their insight can be invaluable.

Jan 30, 2018 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback and your 10 years of service and counting!

"INCREDIBLE company!!! Highly recommend!"

Current Employee - Public Relations in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Public Relations in Dayton, OH

I have been working at The Connor Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Significant opportunity for reward and recognition available if you're willing to work hard! I've never seen a company that invests so much in their employees- they give you the tools you need to succeed. I work in the home office and help is readily available when you have questions! The management is genuinely invested in your continued professional development.

Cons

Be prepared for candid feedback, positive or negative (I don't see this as a bad thing, but if you're overly sensitive, if may not be a good fit for you.) Culturally, they expect top performers. If you are looking for a clock in/ clock out job where you just coast through the day, look elsewhere. You will not survive long if you aren't willing to give 100% every day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! There's a reason the company has been as successful as it has.

Jan 31, 2018 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Great feedback, thank you!

"Culture is everything! Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at The Connor Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Inclusive, results driven! Commitment to excellence and team development is second to none.

Cons

Not a place for those not motivated and committed to winning individually and as a team.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the culture first!

Jan 30, 2018 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback!

"The Facts"

Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Connor Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good training
    Good pay
    Team environment if you fit in
    Some cool perks that no one else does
    Perfected taking the last nickel from every resident

Cons

Well, I too hired more people for the company than I can possibly count. A recently submitted review described some disturbing facts surrounding TCG’s hiring practices. Let me help end the debate, it’s true.

In all my years of hiring, I never interviewed a woman for a maintenance position, a male for a sales associate or property management position. While we routinely hired externally for district level positions and above, I never interviewed an African American for such an opportunity.

In their system, hiring managers were not involved in the “pre-screening” process. It was done by the recruiting department under the tight supervision of the top two guys, including the owner. We were just given candidates to interview in person. When evaluating maintenance candidates, we were required to consider their age and weight.. too old or too big was a no go.

As a former review suggests, no one was allowed to speak out against these hiring practices. We all knew that had we challenged them, we would instantly join the long list of terminated Connor Group employees.

Speaking of terminated employees, I believe over 20 partners left the company during my years (the majority of which were terminated). These were hand selected top performers awarded partnership (by the owner) over an extended period of time. I guess he isn’t a very good judge of those worthy of partnership.

Advice to Management

Let me help you in your response to the his review. I am not a disgruntled former employee with an axe to grind. I actually enjoyed some things about the company and experienced tremendous success before leaving.

Why do you ignore the facts that are brought up in the reviews and respond with a childish retort? If you want to respond, provide an answer to the following:

Why did 20 partners leave the firm during my time with the company? With well over half of them being terminated?

Why did the company fire a partner with 20 years of service six months before retirement?

Why did I never interview a female for maintenance in all my years with the company?

Why did I never interview a male for a sales or property manager position?

Why did I never interview an African American for a leadership role with the company?

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Connor Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This has been the best experience I have ever had with a team!

Cons

I don't have any cons!

Advice to Management

Keep being so awesome!

Jan 24, 2018 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Great to hear you are enjoying your new career with us! People like you are what make us great!

"High performance high reward"

Current Employee - Pcm in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Pcm in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Connor Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Training is very comprehensive. Weekly visit from regional is always uplifting and informative.

Cons

Long days until you get a solid routine

Jan 24, 2018 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new career! Let me know if I can ever be of assistance!