The Counseling Center Reviews | Glassdoor

The Counseling Center Reviews

3.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "CDCA ADDICTION Therapist"

Former Employee - Clinical Mental Health Counselor in Youngstown, OH
    Former Employee - Clinical Mental Health Counselor in Youngstown, OH

I worked at The Counseling Center (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice staff. Friendly work environment, great place to learn differnt therapeutic skills and enhance counseling techniques.

Cons

Clients were overwhelmed with hroup activities and some staff were negative to the clients and the therapeutic process.

2. "TCC"

Current Employee - Counselor in Portsmouth, OH
    Current Employee - Counselor in Portsmouth, OH

Pros

Overtime, Friendly co workers and great clients to work with.

Cons

No raises, no incentives, and zero to no appreciation. Hourly staff are severely under paid while coordinators and supervisors make as much as doctors. Hourly staff have to live at work just to scrape by while upper management makes six figures.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees, appreciate your employees, and add incentives or the turn over rate will continue to be astronomical.

3. "Money Hungry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Freehold, NJ

I worked at The Counseling Center (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working in the facilities with the clients and watching the transformations of some of them get clean and stay sober. Very friendly environment and staff. Everyone was mostly helpful and worked together as a team.

Cons

Other than monitoring drug screens and handling urine...

The main corporate office is in another state, and there is a lot of distance and miscommunication going on between management and what actually goes on in the facilities. I'd go months sending email after email, phone call after phone call about concerns that I had regarding unclear tasks, bills that clients have received with no explanations, and heaven forbid you get a raise when you were actually supposed to get a raise. Changes would be made without our knowledge and then had that held against us for not doing things correctly.

They were also very good and making promises they could not keep and fluffing up a whole lot of nothing to make it seem like they care about you.

Also, I was told numerous times to turn people down if they could not afford to pay the $300 a week with no insurance from someone who is struggling and on the verge of a relapse, even though our website clearly states otherwise.

We keep our website vague and misleading just to get them to call so we can convince them to come in.

Originally, we were to always screen clients over the phone to make sure they are sober and do not need detox as that will trigger many of the other existing clients. Then that slowly turned into never turning anyone away if they can pay.

The only thing that matters is $$$ and finding more ways to make more $$$. When our census is "too low" upper management would flip out and demand for us to do whatever we could to get more people in. They are the type of people who, even though they are in recovery themselves, they would put a new drug out on the streets if that meant getting more clients. More clients=more profit.

Advice to Management

Step back and take notice of what you're doing. If you did that a long time ago, your company wouldn't be sinking. You grew way too fast, and put too much emphasis on opening more and more detoxes and counseling centers, one after the other.

Meanwhile curriculum and technique is an afterthought that is thrown onto the newly hired employees to come up with on their own. And then you wonder why nothing is consistent at the 5 different locations.

Money is thrown around way too freely on anything that may result in a profit. You'd think at least one person would have thought to suggest "hey, let's take a minute to make sure the outpatient facility has everything it needs to run properly" instead of "well we had our grand opening, we have a full staff and a beautiful building, lets open another 4 facilities within a little over a year and we will quadruple our profit. Surely, nothing can go wrong there."

At least then when you realized insurances weren't paying nearly as much as you anticipated for the detox clients, you'd have something to fall back on instead of having to abruptly let go such a significant amount of employees.

4. "TCC"

Current Employee - Lead Substance Abuse Counselor/Office Manager in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at The Counseling Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office space and location; can work from a location close to home, if there's one available. Currently have 6 locations; one primary counselor per office. Independent schedule. Great clients !

Cons

Micro-management; lack of training; owner wants to retire from day-to-day operations, but still engages in oversight; no janitorial service; the primary counselor has the responsibilities of purchasing, inventory, janitorial, negotiating the office space lease, etc; in other words, you are treated as though you have just purchased a franchise, instead of being responsible for the clinical aspects of the job. You are expected to work, but not be paid for all of the hours that you work; the owner pays for specified tasks only and not for time spent doing the work. Business is weak; need to do more marketing; get some clerical support.

5. "this was a fantastic place to work. everyone was caring, attentive, and helpful."

I worked at The Counseling Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the best thing about working here was the casual and safe environment. i loved the clients who i worked with.

Cons

i can't really think of anything bad to say about them. the values of the company were completely right-on!

6. "Profound Experiences"

Pros

The Counseling Center is the best employment I've had. It is a fast paced environment with new challenges every day. The company is client focused and tries to make a difference in the battle against the disease of addiction. It is a growing organization with a community that cares for each other. I find that each day, I meet a new employee or cl with a story all their own and it adds to my understanding of the experience of life. I hope to have a long career here.

Cons

I find very few things to pinpoint negatively.

7. "Friendly people, family atmosphere, heavy work load for below average pay and crappy benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, OH

Pros

It's a good atmosphere, most of the time, especially if the Exec management likes you. Clinical staff are often offered good training opportunities; The center is respected in the community, and so employees are as well. Good paid time off, vacation, sick and holidays.

Cons

Poor health benefits; Exec Dir micromanages his staff. Appoints staff to supervisor position, but it's more of a title than a real management position. Exec Dir is very convincing, but uses it to manipulate staff. He gives great evaluations, and then will fire you on the spot; needs to go to a human resource class. Direct care staff consist mostly of former patients, and are hired as soon as chart is closed. Too many direct reports that lack maturity and training for management to effectively supervise. Then many are trusted to give good care. If the Exec Dir only knew how some of them talk to clients when management is not around! Seriously unethical behavior, even client abuse. You have to be a client to know what it's like, and many that are hired do exactly what was done to them, or worse. Work load for counselors is way too high for the pay, and some supervisors are rude and don't do anything themselves. A few are given programs that they know nothing about. Exec Dir controls the Board, so they sign off on anything he wants. He feeds them very sweet koolaid, and they just guzzle it down.

Advice to Management

Train managers to manage, or hire people that have been trained. Train staff and require better supervision. Do something about the health care plan. Have a true process for hiring into bigger positions, with some objectivity, rather than just putting people in there that you like.....and not looking at those you haven't bothered to get to know.

8. "Good work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, OH

Pros

Really care about their clients.

Cons

Communication from management is sometimes lacking. Middle management doesn't get enough support.

Advice to Management

Give your middle management clerical and administrative support, and it will actually save you money.