The Creative Group Reviews | Glassdoor

The Creative Group Reviews

Updated January 16, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.3
The Creative Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My rep landed me a contract full-time temp job with a great company (in 13 reviews)

• Robert Half / The Creative Group gives you the tools, structure, metrics you need to succeed (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • full-time in my first placement, so it's very possible to find long-term work (in 19 reviews)

• Only issue is work/life balance as every day is 8-6 (in 8 reviews)

"Digital designer"

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Creative Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Creative Group has connected me with great clients at fair rates and I have been able to keep my flexibility and options open with them. I am very satisfied.

Cons

I haven't found any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

The Creative Group Response

Sep 28, 2017 – Online Reputation Specialist

This is wonderful to hear! Many thanks for sharing this with us!

"Not a great experience - some pros, mostly cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

First I'll say that I contacted The Creative Group about 3 months before they ever called me about an opportunity (this was a couple years ago) I believe I was originally in the Robert Half Group system and miraculously my name ended up with a recruiter with TCG Cleveland.

The first temp/contract position I interviewed for moved really quickly and was at a great company. However, the recruiter was initially very unclear if I had been accepted for the position or not - I had to ask for clarification to which I was told, yes of course they want you! They needed someone ASAP and the opportunity was really great so I accepted although it was short-term.

Initially, the recruiter was friendly and supportive, but over time I had some negative experiences with her. I just don't think she's properly equipped to work with candidates in the manner that a recruiter should.

In general, after the first opportunity, I was offered in-person interviews for a couple of temp to hire positions, but nothing came out of those opportunities.

Cons

One con of the first opp, while it was really great, I couldn't get an answer for the end date to the contract. It was a very specific time period as someone was on maternity leave (so it should have been about 3 months), and when I asked the recruiter about it, mainly so I could continue my job search and tell employers when I would be available, I was met with hostility and told it was too early to be asking about the end date. She also thought I was going to leave the contract position to which I reiterated that no, I made a commitment, but I needed to seek out employment for when the position ended. It was really uncomfortable the way she responded to me.

Once my first opportunity ended, I felt I had little support. I had a couple of interviews - the second one I was really excited about and felt it went well. However, I didn't hear from my recruiter for several days and happened to have the company's contact info for an HR person, so I reached out. Within a day, my recruiter called to tell me I wasn't "supposed" to reach out the company directly and oh didn't she tell me that had declined to move forward? Nope, she never called to inform me and essentially blamed me for contacting the company I interviewed with. She was incredibly unprofessional. After that I didn't hear anything for weeks and from there I ended up finding opportunities on my own.

Also, they tell you they have benefits but if you haven't been working for them for at least a year, they are the WORST I have ever seen - no prescription coverage, and you can barely go to a doctor's appointment without paying at least $100 because the insurance only covers up to $50 or $75 per appointment.

Another negative, the recruiter I worked with was either incredibly difficult to reach or she would call me a couple times within an hour about an opp or leave a voicemail then follow up with an email. Normally this isn't horrible, but please give me some time to respond before calling multiple times. It was inconsistent communication.

Also, the pay was not great. $18/Hour with several years of experience, I think they could have increased the pay a bit.

Aside from the situation I described above, I was recently reminded of their poor company communication when another recruiter reached out and left me a voicemail about an "opportunity". I'm thankfully employed full-time and not looking right now, but I called back as a courtesy. When I called, the receptionist first sent me to the wrong recruiter, someone with Office Team. I called back and explained the situation and she was completely confused even though I repeatedly told her someone had called me from TCG, NOT Office Team. Finally, I was directed to the correct recruiter's voicemail. I left her a voicemail, pretty basic, just trying to touch base. It's been several days and I never heard back. That's pretty much how it goes with TCG Cleveland.

Advice to Management

I know recruiters are super busy, but it's not difficult to give a quick call to a candidate to tell them (gently) that a company has declined to move forward. Or just send an email if you can't call back. I've been called and left voicemails, which I ALWAYS call back in return but never hear anything. Terrible company practice to not respond to candidates, whether it's contract, part-time, full-time...I would be extremely hesitant to work with TCG again.

Also, maybe teach recruiters to be kinder to candidates - if you're rude or unprofessional, you will continue to push away talent.

"They’ve been a good company to work with so far."

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They’re there if you need them but basically they let you do your job. I’m an employee with them but I’m “contracted” out to a large telecommunications company.

Cons

No paid time off! After they changed their holiday pay policy I no longer get paid holidays. So that’s disappointing.

"Places you with good companies; helps with your job search"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Troy, MI

I worked at The Creative Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was placed with some good companies, and got along really well with my representatives. You're able to do a lot of creative work with a flexible schedule.

Cons

I was more talented than full-time employees at the companies that I was placed at, and this got very frustrating. No benefits, no vacation, hours weren't as good as full-time employment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and help people get placed full-time.

"If you don't mind being a contractor, this place is great."

Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at The Creative Group (More than a year)

Pros

Access to great companies. I got the big company experience that I needed on my resume.
    When I needed to talk to a rep at the Creative Group, they were always responsive.

Cons

The bonus/holiday pay policies are not as generous as they would like to think.
    The benefits (which may agencies do not provide) are bare bones.
    A weird pay issue happened after I gave my two weeks notice. It may have been coincidence but in previous 14 months of entering my time, there were never any issues. In my last two weeks, there were glitches each week. They were quickly resolved but did cause frustration.

Advice to Management

Loosen up the purse strings just a bit on the bonuses (after 2100 hours, holidays, etc)

"Great team, Senior Management too concerned with bottom-line"

I worked at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

Great team
    Good database
    Good name recognition
    Great place to learn recruiting---not a great place to make a career

Cons

Management makes decisions in a vacuum
    Poor work life balance

7. "Creative Recruiter"

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

Good competitive environment but also good team atmosphere

Cons

I didnt really have any

8. "Account Manager"

I worked at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

If you're smart, you can meet a lot of people at different companies and expand your connections which will last beyond this job.

Cons

As the job currently stands, you are basically a telemarketer in a LOUD call center. They will try and dress it up as more than that, but ultimate they want you to dial for dollars and do it FAST and often. They do phone "blitzs" all the time. Everyone is together in a large room; desks right next to each other, no walls, not even cubicals. You have NO privacy and it gets so loud, you can't even hear if you do get someone on the phone. Also, I was told I had a Base + commission; however, when it came to earning commission, I was then told part of my commission had to "cover my salary" before I would get a payout, so my salary was actually like a Draw. Lastly, they hire a LOT of young people right out of college to brainwash them according to "Robert Half thinking". There's "Culture" and there's "Cult". This place is an unhealthy cult who will expect you to work 9+ hour days. AVOID.

Advice to Management

Allow middle management the time to teach, coach and mentor their people. If they are also burdened with hitting their own sales goals, they become very short-tempered and impatient with new people. Also, rethink all of these silly cold calls. It's not 1995 anymore. Time to start using inbound marketing. It's a better use of everyone's time. #Modernize!

"Account Manager"

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

Amazing team, collaborative environment, open discussions. Company wants you to succeed and there is room for inter-company moves if you're wanting to explore.

Cons

Comp plan is insanely skewed in comparison to other agencies. Basically making money for the agency, not for yourself

"Great People, No Culture"

Former Employee - Creative Recruiter
    Former Employee - Creative Recruiter

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hardworking, dedicated co-workers who are willing to support you

Cons

Despite hitting targets and numbers, your job never feels secure.