The Creative Group Reviews | Glassdoor

The Creative Group Reviews

Updated June 7, 2018

Full-timePart-time

The Creative Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "My rep landed me a contract full-time temp job with a great company" (in 14 reviews)

• "Robert Half training is bar none" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "full-time in my first placement, so it's very possible to find long-term work" (in 19 reviews)

• "Only issue is work/life balance as every day is 8-6" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Marketing coordinator"

Pros

they are great. Helped me find a great job at a great place

Cons

None. I was a contractor.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Recruiter"

I worked at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

People are fun. Rennovated space was nice.

Cons

Management is horrible. No training. Losing a lot of clients to better staffing firms

Advice to Management

Be better

3. "Disappointing"

Former Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Nothing to say here really.

Cons

I worked with them for a while with the promise of being placed in a position that would make work enjoyable. They were all talk, my former recruiter told me they had a lot of job openings that would be a perfect fit for me. After the interview, she never got back to me or gave me any job opportunities to look into.

"Tried to work on several different jobs with them."

Pros

They have lots of openings and work with a wide array of top companies.

Cons

They never get back to you!!! I worked with 3 or 4 different recruiters from the creative group on different jobs and was submitted for them. But then I wouldn't hear back. I got to go on one interview but then never found out any feedback. It was like pulling teeth to get any kind of response from them. Their job is to communicate with you. They also would randomly email and call with jobs that I already applied to on my own and then get all pissed me they couldn't present me. What was I supposed to do? Wait around forever for them to actually find me a job and give me an update?

Advice to Management

Have your recruiters actually follow up with people ! And hire recruiters with actual people skills.

"bad"

Former Employee - Recruiting Management in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiting Management in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they have great resources to do the job.

Cons

they do not thoroughly explain the commission structure and there is awful management in certain lob's.

Advice to Management

change management

"Run...Run away as fast as you can."

Current Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly...I can't think of any.

Cons

They place you. Then forget you. Most of the information that they do provide about benefits and your contract is woefully inaccurate - or the give you part of the story so you take the assignment. Then they stop answering emails. Every call about an issue or question ends with "I'll get back to you" and no one ever does. They don't fix problems. They don't care if your assignment works for you. It's the first time I've ever wanted to walk away from a job mid-contract.

Advice to Management

Learn about integrity.

7. "Fantastic people - some of the best in the industry."

Former Employee - Senior Recruiting Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiting Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Incredible managers and mentors; work with A-players/highly respected people
    -Best training in staffing industry
    -Collaborative working environment and support
    -Backing of Robert Half (a Fortune 500 company)
    -Good, fun culture - not to stuffy
    -You`ll be set up with all the tools to succeed and make great money

Cons

Hardly any... maybe too many time consuming meetings - daily and weekly.

Advice to Management

None, I had amazing management and learned so much there.

"Not a great experience - some pros, mostly cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

First I'll say that I contacted The Creative Group about 3 months before they ever called me about an opportunity (this was a couple years ago) I believe I was originally in the Robert Half Group system and miraculously my name ended up with a recruiter with TCG Cleveland.

The first temp/contract position I interviewed for moved really quickly and was at a great company. However, the recruiter was initially very unclear if I had been accepted for the position or not - I had to ask for clarification to which I was told, yes of course they want you! They needed someone ASAP and the opportunity was really great so I accepted although it was short-term.

Initially, the recruiter was friendly and supportive, but over time I had some negative experiences with her. I just don't think she's properly equipped to work with candidates in the manner that a recruiter should.

In general, after the first opportunity, I was offered in-person interviews for a couple of temp to hire positions, but nothing came out of those opportunities.

Cons

One con of the first opp, while it was really great, I couldn't get an answer for the end date to the contract. It was a very specific time period as someone was on maternity leave (so it should have been about 3 months), and when I asked the recruiter about it, mainly so I could continue my job search and tell employers when I would be available, I was met with hostility and told it was too early to be asking about the end date. She also thought I was going to leave the contract position to which I reiterated that no, I made a commitment, but I needed to seek out employment for when the position ended. It was really uncomfortable the way she responded to me.

Once my first opportunity ended, I felt I had little support. I had a couple of interviews - the second one I was really excited about and felt it went well. However, I didn't hear from my recruiter for several days and happened to have the company's contact info for an HR person, so I reached out. Within a day, my recruiter called to tell me I wasn't "supposed" to reach out the company directly and oh didn't she tell me that had declined to move forward? Nope, she never called to inform me and essentially blamed me for contacting the company I interviewed with. She was incredibly unprofessional. After that I didn't hear anything for weeks and from there I ended up finding opportunities on my own.

Also, they tell you they have benefits but if you haven't been working for them for at least a year, they are the WORST I have ever seen - no prescription coverage, and you can barely go to a doctor's appointment without paying at least $100 because the insurance only covers up to $50 or $75 per appointment.

Another negative, the recruiter I worked with was either incredibly difficult to reach or she would call me a couple times within an hour about an opp or leave a voicemail then follow up with an email. Normally this isn't horrible, but please give me some time to respond before calling multiple times. It was inconsistent communication.

Also, the pay was not great. $18/Hour with several years of experience, I think they could have increased the pay a bit.

Aside from the situation I described above, I was recently reminded of their poor company communication when another recruiter reached out and left me a voicemail about an "opportunity". I'm thankfully employed full-time and not looking right now, but I called back as a courtesy. When I called, the receptionist first sent me to the wrong recruiter, someone with Office Team. I called back and explained the situation and she was completely confused even though I repeatedly told her someone had called me from TCG, NOT Office Team. Finally, I was directed to the correct recruiter's voicemail. I left her a voicemail, pretty basic, just trying to touch base. It's been several days and I never heard back. That's pretty much how it goes with TCG Cleveland.

Advice to Management

I know recruiters are super busy, but it's not difficult to give a quick call to a candidate to tell them (gently) that a company has declined to move forward. Or just send an email if you can't call back. I've been called and left voicemails, which I ALWAYS call back in return but never hear anything. Terrible company practice to not respond to candidates, whether it's contract, part-time, full-time...I would be extremely hesitant to work with TCG again.

Also, maybe teach recruiters to be kinder to candidates - if you're rude or unprofessional, you will continue to push away talent.

"They’ve been a good company to work with so far."

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They’re there if you need them but basically they let you do your job. I’m an employee with them but I’m “contracted” out to a large telecommunications company.

Cons

No paid time off! After they changed their holiday pay policy I no longer get paid holidays. So that’s disappointing.

"Places you with good companies; helps with your job search"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Troy, MI

I worked at The Creative Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was placed with some good companies, and got along really well with my representatives. You're able to do a lot of creative work with a flexible schedule.

Cons

I was more talented than full-time employees at the companies that I was placed at, and this got very frustrating. No benefits, no vacation, hours weren't as good as full-time employment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and help people get placed full-time.