The Creative Group Reviews | Glassdoor

The Creative Group Reviews

Updated November 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.3
The Creative Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My rep landed me a contract full-time temp job with a great company (in 11 reviews)

• Robert Half / The Creative Group gives you the tools, structure, metrics you need to succeed (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • full-time in my first placement, so it's very possible to find long-term work (in 17 reviews)

• From the LONG hours, to the micromanaging leadership, to the formula you have to follow, well (in 9 reviews)

1. "Creative Recruiter"

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

Good competitive environment but also good team atmosphere

Cons

I didnt really have any

2. "Account Manager"

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

Amazing team, collaborative environment, open discussions. Company wants you to succeed and there is room for inter-company moves if you're wanting to explore.

Cons

Comp plan is insanely skewed in comparison to other agencies. Basically making money for the agency, not for yourself

"A team of unprofessionals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Not sure if there is any. They do manage many job openings, but they are very bad at identifying real opportunities aligned with candidates profiles.

Cons

I’m not a current employer but I’ve been reached out several times over the last months by various members of the team, and they all had pretty much the same behavior:
    - no respect for times agreed: you arrange a time for a call (which means making out time for it out of your work schedule) and they call you 15, 20 minutes later or more. A few times they didn’t call at all
    - poor internal communications: I spoke to people within the same team and it was clear they weren’t communicating with each other as they were asking multiple times the same things
    - no follow ups: every time they submitted my resume for a position I never received a feedback or a follow up of any kind

Also, I have been asked to lie about the level of knowledge of a tool at an interview in order to increase my chances of being contracted, which tells a lot about the level of trust and professionalism of the company.

Advice to Management

Try to have more respect for other people’s time and have a more professional approach. You are dealing with people’s future, and the idea that in some cases that might be depending on this team is concerning and scary on many levels.

4. "Digital designer"

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Creative Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Creative Group has connected me with great clients at fair rates and I have been able to keep my flexibility and options open with them. I am very satisfied.

Cons

I haven't found any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

The Creative Group Response

Sep 28, 2017 – Online Reputation Specialist

This is wonderful to hear! Many thanks for sharing this with us!

"Incessant background checks"

Pros

Great staff. Easy to communicate with. Good temp and perm opportunities.

Cons

They background check for each longterm and perm opportunity. Check takes several weeks, goes back 10 yrs and you could end up doing this again in 1, 2 or 3 mos.

Advice to Management

Stop the madness. 1 check should suffice for all jobs for at least a year. This is crazy. Planning to stop working for TCG.

6. "Salaried Professional Program Coordinator"

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

Fast paced, peers are pleasant and creative, lucrative

Cons

a culture that fosters lack of communication

"Another Scam"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

Pros: You get paid.... maybe.

Cons

Cons: Everything else.

If you check out the LinkedIn profiles for some of these recruiters, you'll discover that their previous job was waiting tables at a sports bar or something similar. It lends some insight into the fact that these are mostly entry-level coordinators that just troll around on Indeed and Dice for leads that anyone could find on their own, without the added headache of a 3rd party. They are basically Robert Half's version of Creative Circle or Vitamin T.

Anyways, in the "job placement" world, these guys are one tier above India. After their initial interview, communication is non-existent. Everything is automated and impersonal. You'd get better customer service from the Post Office.... on a Sunday.
    Or maybe the takeout window of Taco Bell. I've been registered with them for well over a year and they contact me once every 3-4 months or so, usually with some insultingly lowball offer for a 2 week contract. Take my advice and don't waste your time on these clowns.

Advice to Management

Stop being morally bankrupt. Until then, you suck.

8. "Graphic Designer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, positive attitudes, great connections

Cons

Sometimes hard to get ahold of

"Creative Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

unclear. Here's my take: I do think there is hope on the contract side. I say this because contract/ freelance employees get paid on a regular cadence and with that, clients must pay agencies that fee. Undoubtedly, Robert Half/ TCG is not a tech company, it never will be.

Cons

1) Workplace politics- The title "Division Director" is incredibly misleading as it is 99% not based on merits. So what is it based on? They use it to leverage one to stay. Who is they? Anyone with a "Manager" in their title.

2) Direct Hire is not lucrative anymore. It once was, it is not anymore. Please review the compensation package with your "Manager" before signing up. Please pay attention to not just your base, but focus on how your commissions are being paid out. Also factor in my earlier statement about clients paying for contractors. Case is not always the same for a one time direct hire payment.

3) Who chases the payments? What happens when clients don't pay? What happens when clients that do pay, are still late to payments? How does that affect your commissions?

4) So let's move away from money. Let's talk about your team members. You're stuck with them 10+hrs a day. You're unplugged from the phone, please keep in mind that the key to success is also who your team members are. Please spend time interviewing them as well. Do they seem logical? Rational? Do they overpromise and underdeliver? Do they seem like they should be doing something else with their lives and yet they seem to be stuck at this place? Are they delusional? Do they sound a little too positive? Question how their personal lives, outside of work, actually affects their workstyle. Everything is related. Would you feel comfortable working with someone who hasn't quite gotten their life together? What does that mean about your success at the company? Can you even imagine them being your superior? Your mentor? Can they be?

5) 10+hrs a day is actually norm, maybe a little under the norm there. Again, it all depends on how well you want to perform.

6) The only true career path they seem to have is "division director" or senior w/e you end up doing. What and how does that translate to inhouse roles? How is that relevant? And yes, sure, there is the one off "trainer" you can be or wait, you can be possibly a branch manager, but why would you want to manage a bunch of folks that already resent their decision in the first two months working here?

7) The limited tools you use there is not helpful to what is currently being used at an inhouse capacity. In addition, there are plenty of competing agencies out there that use far more advanced tools.

Advice to Management

Management is mainly two people. You have two managers running the floor show. At the end of the day, this is a sales job and yes, hitting your numbers are necessary; however, there are multiple ways of doing so. The first way is identifying good sales talent and good recruiting talent. If you have a weak link, that link will tarnish the rest of the links. One by one, talented employees will leave. Leaving the weak. The weak will train the new links. Doesn't matter, weak links will always bring the team down. Management won't be able to produce the numbers. The cycle repeats, bringing each time a worse and worse generational bunch. Thus, if you look into one's linkedin profile, you can see a strong division between folks that are really tenure, and folks that are a few months new.

Do I advise 24 seven? Onward Search? Aquent? Adecco?

Here's my advice. Don't join a staffing agency. Start as a sourcer at an inhouse capacity and work your way up. Not only would your salary start higher than everyone else, you'll actually make it to "recruiter" title faster. Lastly, everyone who's every worked at an agency, typically still starts as a sourcer for larger companies. Those that don't, those folks are just contractors ;) They still aren't full time employees.

10. "Great Team & Leadership"

I worked at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

I had such a great team of recruiters and AMs. The leadership within TCG are very experienced individuals who are the best in the field and love to push you to be your best.

Cons

pay is low and some of the requirements for promotions or pay increase are not the best.