The Creative Group Reviews | Glassdoor

The Creative Group Reviews

Updated September 21, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.8
The Creative Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "My rep landed me a contract full-time temp job with a great company" (in 14 reviews)

• "Robert Half training is bar none" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "full-time in my first placement, so it's very possible to find long-term work" (in 19 reviews)

• "Only issue is work/life balance as every day is 8-6" (in 8 reviews)

"A Great Resource"

I worked at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

The Creative Group helped me find my current job, and I'm so grateful for that. I started out as a temp there but wanted something permanent, and they recommended me for other jobs I was a good fit for until I found a great contract-to-hire position. I'm a full-time employee there now! My recruiter at the Creative Group was so helpful and willing to work with me to find something that worked for me (and my employers). She even sent bagels as a "Happy First Day on the Job" gift when I found my dream job!

Cons

There are a lot of temporary positions and freelance opportunities, which is great if that's what you're looking for, but can be discouraging if you want something else. Sometimes you may be suggested for jobs you don't feel like you're a good match for, but it never hurts to try for them anyway.

2. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at The Creative Group (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with the Irvine office and my recruiter helped me land a really cool gig in Orange County working with a few major automotive clients. My recruiter got me a decent salary and was very transparent in the process. Major plus is that you get health/medical benefits pretty quickly. Out of all the staffing agencies I've worked with in OC this is hands down the best!

Cons

Sometimes the companies you end up working for don't have the best culture, but sometimes you make due by adding an interesting position onto your resume. 4 stars only because I didn't land a permanent position as intended, but I did have a steady paycheck and felt the job added new skills to my resume.

3. "Recruiter"

I worked at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

It's a great way to get your start in recruiting and learn the creative industry.

Cons

It's a very sales-y organization and often they care about making the most money possible and less about candidate and client best interests.

Advice to Management

Try to not make it all about the numbers.

"You’ll be over it quickly"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good amount of resources
    Recently remodeled office
    Quick pay out for expenses
    Looks good on resume

Cons

Fear-based management style
    Old school sales mentality
    Doesn’t take its own advice
    Goals that are unachievable in the digital age
    Toxic work place culture
    No flexibility to work from home
    Limited amount of time off
    Lack of in-office perks
    Unachievable commission-based metrics
    The list goes on...

Advice to Management

Motivate people in other ways. Rather than reprimanding employees for walking in 5 minutes after 8 when it’s not even “prime-time”, try picking your battles. Also, take into consideration that working via e-mail should count just as much as the dials. We live in the digital age for crying out loud. Do you think Amazon would be the company it is today if it were calling people to sell books/etc.? The archaic managers you think you’re selling to are quickly being replaced by millennials so it’s high time you adapt the sales approach before you stay a revolving door for the 3+ years

"Review"

Pros

The people and collaborative work environment

Cons

Lack of flexibility. No work home life balance

"Not Impressed"

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Various jobs available. Many are larger companies with good benefits.

Cons

Recruiters looking to fill positions quickly, rather than place you based on your resume and skill sets. Profit over the best placement for their talent.

Advice to Management

Stop looking out for the company’s best profit interests and retain your talent by listening to them and what they are looking for. Place them based on their merits, not because you need a job filled. Your talent is what makes you profit. It should be a relationship that is mutually merited to retain your talent over the long haul.

7. "Great people, awful place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great but the company as a whole does not care about it's people

Cons

Everything about this place besides the people

8. "Freelance Graphic Designer"

I worked at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

I think this varies from location to location - for instance, I'm having a different experience in another state - but, in New Jersey they were always in constant contact and felt that I would always have employment through them. They also helped me get my foot in the door, landing my first job.

Cons

The level of compensation wasn't great and was not able to budge, even when commuting for over an hour and a half.

Advice to Management

The Creative Group is not consistent from location to location. I had a very bad experience with the Miami office and will to being doing business with them.

"Waste of time"

Current Employee - 3D Environment Artist
    Current Employee - 3D Environment Artist

Pros

Absolutely none. You must enter at least 5 words for pros:)

Cons

Just recently, I received an email from TCG pertaining a job that I'm very qualified for. When I gave them my availability, everything went silent and received no other email after that. I am totally NOT upset because this is how I and a lot of people have been treated for years. I'm beginning to snicker at the fact that they're still around and consider their emails SPAM. Just to make things even clearer, it's been about 3 years and have never received one job from them.

Advice to Management

No advice because it apparently falls on deaf ears.

"Horrible and Unprofessional"

Pros

No Pros at all. Only Cons.

Cons

Non Responsive, Ignorant, and Inefficient. I took my profile to them, and they gladly take it. Later, when I tried to contact the assigned recruiter, there was no response. And they have been non responsive since then. Horrible people.