The Creative Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Creative Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • Robert Half / The Creative Group gives you the tools, structure, metrics you need to succeed (in 9 reviews)

• Having been working internally for TCG full time for the past several years, I've had a lot of great experiences (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • full-time in my first placement, so it's very possible to find long-term work (in 17 reviews)

• Only issue is work/life balance as every day is 8-6 (in 7 reviews)

1. "Personable, Professional, Productive (SF Office)"

Current Employee - Social Media Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Social Media Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was looking for work for a few months, and in the midst of that I found The Creative Group (TCG). All the sudden I had people deeply invested in helping me acquire my next role.

Chris Hickey in particular (I'm not sure if I should name names, but anyway) not only assisted me on a constant basis with providing me opportunities and checking in with me, but helped restore lost confidence in a job hunt that was going on longer than I expected. And from my experience, everyone that works at THG seems to have the same personable, positive attitude and vigor that Chris does.

When I found my job, I was elated. Really. But at the same time, I knew my correspondence with TCG was not going to be necessary anymore. That being said, this may not be the last transition I make in my career, and I'll be in touch with TCG again when that time comes.

Cons

Though I'd prefer to be critical, it's difficult to find faults in the experience I had with TCG. Nobody's perfect, but I'm going 5 stars anyway.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to people like Chris Hickey. People with such emotional intelligence are a huge asset to companies that often lose their humanity over time.

"Salaried Professional"

Former Employee - Salaried Professional in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Salaried Professional in Irvine, CA

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you're on "bench" they still pay you.

Cons

You are constantly interviewing for new jobs. It never feels like you are part of a team. I visited the actual TCG office a few times and heard the recruiters (including mine) giving the same lines to prospective graphic designers that they gave me the week before. I also found out that they would send me to interview against my co workers and they would tell the co workers the same lines they would tell me. " you're perfect for this job" and "they love you already". It all just seemed really artificial and fake.

Advice to Management

Just be honest and get more personal with your employees. I worked for 6 months without anyone noticing I didn't have health insurance.

"Competitive Position in a Hard Working Office"

Former Employee - Senior Creative Recruiter in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Creative Recruiter in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-Paced, Busy, Self-Motivated, Driven, Demanding

Cons

50hr work weeks, calls calls calls

"Graphic Designer -- TCG were fantastic to me for years"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Creative Group part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly, professional, and supportive to the designers they work with.

Cons

Slightly lower pay than other agencies I worked with.

Advice to Management

Be kinder to your account managers -- there was too much turn-over during my 5 year employment. I felt they were under too much pressure to do a good job. They sometimes annoyed my clients with too many calls etc.

"Sink or swim!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a ton from this position. I learned how to communicate well on the phone, how to negotiate under pressure and how to recognize good talent when I see it.

Cons

Talk about pressure. Both account exec and recruiter positions are heavy result oriented positions. Don't expect much training, at least under the management that I had. You're either made for this position or you're not.

Advice to Management

Don't over promise and under deliver. There is nothing worse than being told one thing and finding out later when its too late what the truth really is. If its a sink or swim sales job, its a sink or swim sales job. Also, learn how to communicate better. Honesty is the best policy.

"Candidates Beware!"

Former Employee - Job Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Job Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at The Creative Group (Less than a year)

Pros

The person that interviewed me was personable.

Cons

They will ask you to fill out a lot of paperwork (target companies, companies you've interviewed with, etc.). They ask you for a 'list of references' and a 'branding paragraph'. Then they never call you back. It's all a con to populate their database!

Advice to Management

Have some professionalism and respond to candidates. Even if it's to say you have nothing available!

7. "Graphic Design Job Seemed Great, but worst temp job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Skype interview and fast placement. Although Creative Group in Tampa, they sent me to a job in Naples, which is closer to where I live.
    Had issues, see below, and upper management contacted me to make things right.

Cons

Wrong address given to me, so I arrived 1.5 hrs. late to job. Creative Group didn't want to pay me for their mistake. This was March 22, 2017. I'm still awaiting payment for lost time after speaking to upper management on the phone a month ago and being told a check would be mailed to me for the few hours "lost" driving 30 miles further to correct job location. When I finally arrived to assignment, owner seemed perturbed that I was late.

Advice to Management

Verify the company's address, even if it's on their website. Be more flexible with understanding employee's needs.

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

My team was great and collaborative.

Cons

Training was confusing and management was helpful but not transparent.

Advice to Management

Management gave me great reviews on performance yet I was let go due to performance. Training is confusing as you are taught to read scripts yet told to be yourself.

"Salaried Professional Services"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work like a contractor but get paid full time salary with benefits.

Cons

If you not on a long term project, juggling small projects can be a pain and more busy work.

10. "Passionate team with great values"

Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

supportive, friendly team. Work alongside recruiters who are passionate about the talent we place. Gain a huge understanding of the ever-changing job market of San Francisco, each day is exciting and vastly different!

Cons

takes time to get up to speed, but you have a supportive manager/team to help launch you into your career!