The Cruise Web Reviews | Glassdoor

The Cruise Web Founder Frans Hansen
Frans Hansen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Thoughts from a 15-year Employee"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started fresh out of college with no sales experience and had never been on a cruise. After 3+ years as a Sales Consultant, I grew my business and was making $100K+. I was promoted to Sales Manager. After realizing that management was not for me (and admittedly under performing) I moved back to the consultant position. For the past 10 years, I have worked as a Sales Consultant. Over my 15 years, I have great insight into the sales and manager positions at Cruise Web. I genuinely believe that there is not a better sales position available in the DC area than the Sales Consultant position at the Cruise Web.

The Cruise Web sets the stage for a great career. There is great training, structure, and support. The salary potential is truly uncapped. For a small/mid-sized company, the benefits are very competitive. I believe the management and support team is the best we have ever had. They are smart, caring people. We work in a custom designed office, in which Cruise Web has invested a good deal of money. The company continues to improve our technology, maximize our marketing, and understand how to interact with our clients.

The Sales Consultant position is not for everyone. Even with all the support, it has a good deal of independence and autonomy. It is designed for individuals that are self-motivated and positive-thinking. The most successful consultants understand that they are accountable for their own actions, work-ethic, and how they spend their time at work. They continue to build on their successes, learn and apply lessons from setbacks, and are willing to be coached by the management team. These people embrace the challenge of building relationships with clients, building a business, and see commission-only sales as an opportunity to make a great living as opposed to being fearful making a paycheck. The most successful consultants possess superior time management skills. They also seek out the help and advice of the successful senior consultants.

It does take a good amount of time and effort to learn the products and understand how to build the relationship with the clients. In my experience, the consultants that end up leaving are not able to balance these two, and/or do not manage their time effectively. The most disgruntled employees will blame management for bad leads, playing favorites, etc. My favorite complaints from these reviews are, “I won a free cruise, but found out I have to pay for my flights…” or “Managers give the senior employees all the good leads and I got none.” When I hear/read this type of comment about Cruise Web, I laugh. In fact, many of the senior employees rarely take/get leads after a while. All consultants have the same opportunity at salary and benefits. The Cruise Web’s decision-making is always based on a combination of what is best for the company, and how it affects the employees. The management team does not give me exceptions to policy or procedure. Sure, I’m not thrilled with every decision, but I know it was well thought out.

Bottom line…if you have a positive mind-set, accountability, know how to manage your time effectively, and are willing to work hard, the Sales Consultant position could be a great fit for you. It has been a game-changer for me. I genuinely enjoy my job and Cruise Web rewards me for my hard work. The management team is forward-thinking and very considerate of the staff. There is a clear set of company values that are followed. The Cruise Web is a great place to work!

Cons

In my opinion, the cons for Cruise Web are inherent to sales and companies of this size in general. For example:

There is a great ability for promotion with in the sales area. As your business grows, so does your salary, benefits, etc. However, if you are looking for opportunities to move into management, Cruise Web is limited based on it's structure. I don't really consider that a con, but it is if you are looking for management opportunities.

"Fantastic company and excellent earning potential"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am baffled at some of the negative reviews that have been posted. Not my experience at all. Have been with the company for over 10 years and not once I felt that I was treated unfairly or lied to by the management. On the contrary, I think the management team truly cares about its employees , constantly tries to improve working environment (which is already great) by investing a new modern office, latest technology, great benefits, etc. In addition, this job provides an unlimited earning potential for those in sales, but only for those who are willing to work hard. I would recommend this company without hesitation to those who possess the necessary skills and determination to make travel sales a successful career.

Cons

Commission based job in sales may be difficult for those who need a steady paycheck.

Advice to Management

I suggest explaining policies/rules in more detail. Once they are explained, they are easier to follow and accept.

Dec 26, 2017 – Sr. Sales Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We are very proud of our office, our culture and our opportunity. We think that the high number of employees (both in sales and non-sales) that have been here for over... More

"Eh, I guess it's ok. Please read."

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time

Pros

You are not micromanaged here - a good deal of personal responsibility and solid work ethic is required to be successful.

Cons

ZERO opportunity for career advancement other than attaining higher levels of perks and commissions as a sales agent. There is no opportunity to move into management, training, etc. You are hired to sell, and that is all you will do.

Too much time is spent on non-commissionale work, especially the booking process which requires you to enter the client information six times. Then client services takes up to 7+ business days to send out the invoice that you created leading to clients calling over and over looking for confirmation of their bookings. I have never seen any company across any field take so incredibly long to send an invoice to a client.

Advice to Management

Be more honest in the interview process.

Dec 20, 2017 – Sr. Sales Manager

Thank you for your feedback.
    We often say this job is like running a business within a business. You are correct that this position does require a great deal of personal responsibility and a strong... More

"Sales"

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for

Cons

Can't think of any at all

Nov 13, 2017 – Sr. Sales Manager

Thank you for the review. That means a lot!

"Job Seekers Beware!"

Former Employee - Personal Cruise Consultant in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Personal Cruise Consultant in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Occasional free food offered by different cruise line companies.
    5% off cruises if you decide to purchase one from them.

Cons

Do you enjoy going to interviews and being lied to about the company you are considering? Do you like being offered a free cruise and later finding out you have to buy a plane ticket to get there? How about working every other weekend and mandatory 12-9 shifts? Do you enjoy being given 6 month selling goals and 4 months to obtain it? Do you enjoy calling strangers and international possible "clients" randomly that have no clue you are calling nor interested in the product they saw on the companies website? Do you enjoy selling luxurious thousand dollar vacations to strangers who realize they can get it cheaper directly through the cruise line because they don't have to pay a commission? Do you have a knack for doing work for clients of previous sales agents that left the company yet not getting compensated for the work being done on your time? Do you enjoy being told you cannot see the pay structure of the commission you are entitled to when you make a sale? Is submitting massive booking information in a 60 step extended time span for every sale you make something you can see yourself doing on 100 percent commission? Do you like having to wear business attire that your clients you deal with will never visually see? Do you enjoy being forced to have a meeting about meaningless details that can be provided through e-mail the same exact time every single day? Are you ok with getting horrendous leads to close on while watching the couple veterans of the company rake in all the credible clients? Are you fine with working in a seasonal industry that is often affected by tropical storms? Do you enjoy working with peers and "management" who are just as miserable as the customers you are calling? If you said yes to all of these questions,then the Cruise Web is definitely for you!

Advice to Management

Be up front during the interview process. Take responsibility for your actions. These are people's lives you are dealing with,and they deserve to be told the truth up front,as many previous reviews about this company has stated.

Nov 14, 2017 – Sr. Sales Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that this position did not work out for you. You’ve made more than a few points that I’d like to address for the benefit of others who are considering working... More

"Sales Consultant"

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time

Pros

Freedom to set your own schedule, you are your own boss. You determine what you make. Decent commission structure.

Cons

Full commission can be tough for a lot of people. Saw big turn over rate.

Nov 13, 2017 – Sr. Sales Manager

Thank you for your review! We are very proud of our industry leading commission plan and the benefits that our flexible scheduling provides.

Although we sell a fun product, the job is still very... More

"Cruise consultant"

Current Employee - Cruise Consultant in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Cruise Consultant in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely , opens doors to travel. I have been here only 9 months , and am going on my second free cruise . Company allows you to create your own schedule , and you only are required to work one weekend day , in 2 weeks . Also lots of gift cards/perks offered by cruise lines almost every month . Also operates on an 3 month overall average commission , versus a month to month commission , there is less risk in this strategy . Office keeps a happy environment , which is very important .

Cons

if you want to diet don't come here , there's free food all the time .

Advice to Management

Broaden commission plan options, and offer part time positions.

Nov 13, 2017 – Sr. Sales Manager

Thank you for your review! We have considered the idea of part time Cruise Consultant positions in the past, but we are not confident that we can provide a high level of consultative service to our... More

"Cruise Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Cruise Consultant- Gold in Calverton, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Cruise Consultant- Gold in Calverton, MD

Pros

If you do great you can work from anywhere in the world while making 6 figures and earning free cruises and free travel. Flexible schedule with roughly 25 paid days off a year. Travel Allowance and perks. The cruise web gives away a free cruise every 4 months for top sales related categories in which you get your name in the pot. Also they have a 5th drawing at the end of the year for each year of employment you get 1 entry in the pot. The longer your with the cruise web the more money you will make guaranteed. This is a career and not a job. This is relative to owning your own business (book of business) and the freedom to do your job here is a sales dream job for anyone who is truly a sales professional. FYI Some people make over 250k + a year here. So you can make 30k a yr or over 250k + a year its all up to you and how you run your book of business. The negative articles are from people that could not understand this concept.

Cons

Most people are used to a job and not running a business so most people that come in cannot make it as they are used to someone telling them what to do and rushing out for break any chance they get. This is not a job its a business opportunity under the cruise web umbrella. Your still a w2 and an employee with salary when you start so this opportunity is a dream job for anyone who can sell and see's the value of working hard to build your base until your living a dream life traveling the world making great money.

Advice to Management

Hire people with a professional sales background and people that understand what its like to run a business and how hard it is logistically. They will appreciate working under the umbrella of the cruise web and they will understand how this is not a job its a career and they will be leaving comments like me here.

Nov 13, 2017 – Sr. Sales Manager

Thank you for your review! Your feedback is much appreciated.

"Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Calverton, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Calverton, MD

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment
    Make your own schedule after training as long as you have required number of days and hours which helps provide structure
    Cruise line promotions to earn extra money;free cruise etc
    Base Salary during training
    Good management
    Rewarding
    Competitive
    CEO comes in the office

Cons

Paperwork could be a lot less
    Utilization of new process to make sales reps focus on sales instead of back office issues

Advice to Management

Work on client service to help the sales team more and not complain

Nov 13, 2017 – Sr. Sales Manager

Thank you for your review! Your feedback is much appreciated.

"Horrible Management and worthless knowledge and leadership"

Current Employee - Cruise
    Current Employee - Cruise

Pros

Nothing at all. They hire you with one salary and change to pay structure mid stream with no possibility for growth

Cons

Long hours. Horrible lazy management and no room for long term potential

Advice to Management

Close down operations because you are unwilling to open your eyes and get ride of the worthless managers