The Cruise Web Reviews | Glassdoor

"Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Calverton, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Calverton, MD

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment
    Make your own schedule after training as long as you have required number of days and hours which helps provide structure
    Cruise line promotions to earn extra money;free cruise etc
    Base Salary during training
    Good management
    Rewarding
    Competitive
    CEO comes in the office

Cons

Paperwork could be a lot less
    Utilization of new process to make sales reps focus on sales instead of back office issues

Advice to Management

Work on client service to help the sales team more and not complain

"Cruise consultant"

Current Employee - Cruise Consultant in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Cruise Consultant in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely , opens doors to travel. I have been here only 9 months , and am going on my second free cruise . Company allows you to create your own schedule , and you only are required to work one weekend day , in 2 weeks . Also lots of gift cards/perks offered by cruise lines almost every month . Also operates on an 3 month overall average commission , versus a month to month commission , there is less risk in this strategy . Office keeps a happy environment , which is very important .

Cons

if you want to diet don't come here , there's free food all the time .

Advice to Management

Broaden commission plan options, and offer part time positions.

"Cruise Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Cruise Consultant- Gold in Calverton, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Cruise Consultant- Gold in Calverton, MD

Pros

If you do great you can work from anywhere in the world while making 6 figures and earning free cruises and free travel. Flexible schedule with roughly 25 paid days off a year. Travel Allowance and perks. The cruise web gives away a free cruise every 4 months for top sales related categories in which you get your name in the pot. Also they have a 5th drawing at the end of the year for each year of employment you get 1 entry in the pot. The longer your with the cruise web the more money you will make guaranteed. This is a career and not a job. This is relative to owning your own business (book of business) and the freedom to do your job here is a sales dream job for anyone who is truly a sales professional. FYI Some people make over 250k + a year here. So you can make 30k a yr or over 250k + a year its all up to you and how you run your book of business. The negative articles are from people that could not understand this concept.

Cons

Most people are used to a job and not running a business so most people that come in cannot make it as they are used to someone telling them what to do and rushing out for break any chance they get. This is not a job its a business opportunity under the cruise web umbrella. Your still a w2 and an employee with salary when you start so this opportunity is a dream job for anyone who can sell and see's the value of working hard to build your base until your living a dream life traveling the world making great money.

Advice to Management

Hire people with a professional sales background and people that understand what its like to run a business and how hard it is logistically. They will appreciate working under the umbrella of the cruise web and they will understand how this is not a job its a career and they will be leaving comments like me here.

"Very glad with my career choice!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, I am posting this in response to some of the negative reviews posted here. I have no idea where they are coming from as this is a great place to work. Some of the pros - beautiful work atmosphere, competitive travel agent rates, great commission and opportunities to earn bonuses, great support/training from management, positive work climate, and great PERKS! - free and discounted cruises.

Cons

Some negative reviews post about commission and the need to meet certain targets - while this is true, if you work hard you can earn great money and doesn't any sales job have sales targets? The leads are there. If you are willing to do the work, you will do great. Some new hires seem to expect everything to be easy (hefty base salary for a long time, not getting a thorough understanding of cruise industry).

Advice to Management

Be careful with the new hires; make sure they fully understand terms of employment contract.

Nov 21, 2014 – Senior Director Finance and Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. We are committed to creating a positive experience for all of our employees. We offer great health care benefits, free and reduced travel opportunities, regular free ... More

"Don't expect your offer letter to be true"

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training can be long but you do learn a lot to help you in the job.
    nice lunches by cruise lines
    company functions
    owner is in the office
    beautiful office space

Cons

No teamwork
    no middle range of employees (most have been here 8+ years or either just hired)
    I was given an offer letter to make at least $50,000 a year before commission, not even a year after I started they changed and said that we all had to change to variable pay (not the same as what I was promised)
    I was also informed I would be taken on a familiarization cruise, but now company funds are so low I doubt that I would get it and its almost been a year since I've started.

Advice to Management

Give what you promised, it is not right to bring someone in under the impression that they will be compensated one way and then change it on them. Next, stop acting like things are fine, we know that if you have HR selling it cant be good. Last, the newbies pay changed, so what about support, marketing, hr, management...ect????

Nov 21, 2014 – Senior Director Finance and Human Resources

We appreciate all comments, both positive and constructive, so thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We have attempted to be transparent in the changes made to our commission ... More

"You better sell some cruises or else they will fire you fast!!!"

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training
    Nice office space
    Free lunch every so often
    Discounts on cruise vacations

Cons

Sell or go home! They will not keep anyone who is not selling at least $5300 in cruise commissions per pay period. Thats 11-20 cruises per week.

Everyone who works there seems miserable. Not a fun work environment. Too many pointless meetings. Call center environment.

Advice to Management

Provide sales support for paperwork so that sales people can focus on doing what they do best which is selling and not clerical paperwork.

"Hired 17 new sales agents within 6 months, and only 2 are still there"

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very pleasant work environment. Attractive office and convenient location to both Baltimore and Washington. Good training and well conceived systems.

Cons

If you don't sell, you don't stay. It takes at least a year to make enough to cover your draw, and they fire you before you are there a year. All the good leads go to the experienced agents, and the new recruits get only the weak "shoppers" who have already booked a cruise with somebody else. The company is NOT competitive with other travel services offering cruise vacations.

Advice to Management

You had a good plan, but you did not see it through... now you will be out hiring new people to train and they will be gone before they reach any level of production.

Nov 21, 2014 – Senior Director Finance and Human Resources

Thank you for your comment. We are committed to investing in our new sales consultants. Like any company, we need successful sales staff to grow. Unfortunately, not everyone can be successful in ... More

8. "Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calverton, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calverton, MD

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A relatively young company that I believe to be heading in the right direction. The executive staff and upper management believe in their business and really do care for their staff. They do a good job recognizing achievements and encouraging employees during struggles.

Managers are very accommodating when it comes to scheduling, and they make it very easy to maintain a positive work/life balance. In most cases, colleagues quickly turn into friends.

Great vacation perks. I've been on multiple FREE cruise vacations in my short tenure at the company. You have to love a job where training requires going on vacation.

Very nice office located in between DC and Baltimore. The open layout makes everyone very approachable (maybe too approachable at times).

A big "Pro" is that we work with cruise vacations, which in itself is just a very fun and interesting product. The industry's landscape is constantly changing, and I enjoy the challenge of trying to keep up with and/or ahead of those changes.

The company's culture is very casual and reinforces great values. Like any job, there are certainly very tough and stressful periods, but there are an equal number of rewarding moments. Of course, during the stressful periods, it's tempting to think that the grass is always greener elsewhere, but I'm confident in the direction of the company and believe the best is yet to come for The Cruise Web.

Cons

The salaried compensation is not as competitive as it could be, but they partly make up for this with plenty of cruise vacation perks with ample opportunities for employees and friends/family to travel for free or at extremely discounted fares.

There sometimes seems to be a sales vs non-sales attitude within the company, but the overall culture feels much more positive recently compared to 2-3 years ago. Even still, non-sales are often reminded that "it's the sales staff's commission that makes their paychecks possible." This creates an unofficial hierarchy that really shouldn't exist, as all components support and rely on each other.

The commissioned sales staff struggles with moderate turnover, and this restricts the company's overall growth. This in turn limits the career opportunities for non-sales because the company grows/shrinks with the sales floor.

Advice to Management

Encourage honest sales tactics and keep fostering an enthusiastic, high-energy culture. Nothing happens overnight, but this company is definitely heading in the right direction.

"Work here if you can survive on working on straight commission!"

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice work area. Brand new offices. Good training for the first two weeks. Ongoing training is available as well. If you love travel and the cruise industry, then this is the job for you.

Cons

If you can't survive working on straight commission, this isn't really the job for you. While you do receive a salary for the first three months or so, after that it is sink or swim. Make no mistake about it - this is hard work. They also tend to have a "churn and burn" hiring policy, where you hire a lot of people to attend paid training, but only a few survive after the first three months or so. They need to do a better job qualifying the people they are hiring. In these desperate economic times, people will apply for any job if it means a paycheck for a few months until they can figure out where they want to go next. The owner spent a lot of money for a new location, nice furniture, etc. but I think he would have been better off if he had spent more money on his existing employees by offering better bonus packages.

Advice to Management

You need to focus more on retention. Your company is wasting a lot of time and money constantly hiring and firing people. Offering a small base salary could do the trick. Mid-level management is OK, but they need to be more accessible to the staff.

"It's ok for entry level sales"

Current Employee - Cruise Consultant in Calverton, MD

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment and you can make your own schedule. That's about it.

Cons

You can get burnt out at this job very quickly. Closing percent is very low, you are lucky if you can close 4% of the leads given to you. Turnover is very high, very few make it past one year or stick around much longer beyond that.

Advice to Management

Management? What management?