The Custom Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Opportunities Exist"

I have been working at The Custom Companies full-time

Pros

To be in business for as long as the Company has in a highly competitive industry is a testament in and of itself. Are we perfect--no--because no one is AND we strive for continuous improvement. Just over the past year initiatives have begun to increase communication and better respond to the needs and concerns of employees. The Company tries to be inclusive rather than dismissive. There are opportunities for professional growth; there is a caring of employees by managers-- for both personal and professional needs. The Company works hard at being consistent in its application of policy. The "Open Door" policy truly allows people at every level to always be heard.

Cons

Nothing that stands out but recognize that there is always room for improvement. Perhaps turn off the phones during meetings!!

Advice to Management

Just keep a forward progress of improvement!

"Pretty Decent Job. Had to Leave Because of Grad School"

I worked at The Custom Companies full-time

Pros

My coworkers for sure! I really got that family vibe with a lot of them. Everyone was pretty friendly and the management was pretty good about being on top of things. It was a pretty decent gig honestly. A job is a job.

Cons

I get sick a lot and so it would have been helpful to have just a couple more sick days than the ones we get. | Advice to Management: Always continue to acknowledge the hard workers. Maybe even reward them from time to time.

"Just saying thank you"

Current Employee - Agent Services in Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Agent Services in Northlake, IL

I have been working at The Custom Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've only worked at the company for a couple of years but I felt compelled to share a story about my experience. At Christmas time the Owner asked for stories of people in need that his charity could assist. I have a neighbor this is a single mom that is battling illness. She didn't have the money for gifts for her children so I wrote an email to the Owner. His charity delivered Christmas gifts for both children and the mother...as well as provide a beautiful holiday meal. The mother was in tears when the delivery truck came. She credits me but the Owner at my work was the one that made this happen.

Cons

They are good people to work for. The only ones that don't like it are the ones who don't like to work at all.

Aug 18, 2018 – Vice President of HR

Thank you for your comments. Custom Charities is a big part of our culture and the Owners generosity can be seen throughout the years! We are proud to be involved with so many causes and are able... More

"Great for Advancement"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Northlake, IL

I have been working at The Custom Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced industry. If you are committed and work hard you get rewarded. Management truly cares.

Cons

The industry is very competitive

Jul 27, 2018 – Vice President of HR

Thank you for your review. We do care about our employees and strive for excellence in all that we do!

5. "CSR"

I have been working at The Custom Companies full-time

Pros

It's a job. You get a 1 hour lunch and you learn about the trucking industry.

Cons

Benefits and no raise are discussed. Terrible upper management.

Jul 8, 2018 – Vice President of HR

Thank you for the review. We wish you went into more detail so your concerns could be answered. As you know we have an open door policy so if you want to discuss your issues further please come to... More

"Wouldn't recommend working for this employer."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northlake, IL

I worked at The Custom Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very nice to work with, except upper management.

Cons

Pay was pour unless you were in Sales.

Apr 30, 2018 – Vice President of HR

We appreciate all comments--positive and even negative. We take them to heart and continually try to improve our employee experience. While we can't answer your specific concern please know that... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Northlake, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Northlake, IL

I worked at The Custom Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entertainment, lots of service offerings

Cons

Very unprofessional, owner puts down employees in front of peers.

Apr 30, 2018 – Vice President of HR

Thank you for your comments. Our sales team not only continues to grow, but enjoys a low turnover rate and high longevity that rivals most companies in every industry. We are this way because of... More

8. "Pros & Cons"

Pros

Tough industry but the company has some advantages they can sell. Strong financials and in a growth mode. The have a really strong commission plan.

Cons

Lots of competition in the industry and high-pressure. Some people just can't cut it in the service industry. The harder you work the more you make.

Sep 25, 2017 – Vice President of HR

Thank you for your comments. We are always striving to provide world-class experiences for our employees.

"It's a regime run by two people that love money more than people. The turnover due to management is alarming."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northlake, IL

I worked at The Custom Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, company perks I.e. Sporting events and other activities. Pay is on par with the industry. There are no other pros that are worth mentioning.

Cons

Fear of losing your job at all times, the worst internal communication of a company I've ever seen. Management is against you at all times. Fear and intimidation are the rulers here and anyone that falters will be let go.

Advice to Management

Change the interior and the exterior will shine.

Apr 30, 2018 – Vice President of HR

Thank you for your comment. It is unfortunate you seemed to have such a bad experience. Not knowing what department you were in and how long you were at the company it is difficult to address... More

10. "Overall not a bad place to work at I just wish the salary was a little bit higher up to standards"

Current Employee - City Truck Driver in Covina, CA
    Current Employee - City Truck Driver in Covina, CA

Pros

Good staff to work with
    Off on the weekend
    Off on holidays
    Morning Work
    Not much else to say about this company really

Cons

Overtime after 50 hours
    Very expensive to get benefits
    Old or broken equipment
    Most of the time the mechanics don't have the parts to fix the trucks and you must wait forever to get it fixed

Advice to Management

Provide new equipments

Apr 30, 2018 – Vice President of HR

Thank you for your comments. We continue to try and provide our employees with the best benefits and equipment we can.

Thank you for your hard work---we appreciate it!