Cover image for The Davey Tree Expert Company

The Davey Tree Expert Company President and CEO Patrick M. Covey
Patrick M. Covey

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor management, employees not treated well(in 44 reviews)
  • "The pay is low and there is not a lot of communication between the management and the sales/production staff.(in 37 reviews)
  • "Long hours are required to get mismanaged projects back on schedule(in 18 reviews)
  • "Even managers do field work which was unbelievable to me and should have been a red flag.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Communication not very good with mgmt(in 8 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Davey Tree Expert Company and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Payroll

Jan 24, 2023 - Payroll Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Providing great tree cutting service

Cons

Pay the employees better and more benefits

Appreciate the review.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Plenty of work to go around if you want it.

Nov 2, 2022 - Sales and Service Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Its a pretty large company with lots of opportunity for work. Plenty of hours to work if you want them. Want to work overtime or weekends? The answer is never no. If you ask for more hours they'll find something for you to do. Health benefits and paid time off are pretty good for the Landscape/Green industry. As an ESOP the real benefit is in working for them longer term and buying into the company via stock.

Cons

Davey has been kind spoiled with a lot of really great folks working for them in the past, this sort of lends has them assuming everyone who signs on with them has lot of experience or is super capable with no need for oversite during the day. So training never quite lives up to what they promise. Day to day organization and communication can be a bit of a headache, not out of malice just with that assumption of competence mangement is a bit hands off. If your looking for a 40 and out kind of work place that's probably not gonna happen at least in field positions.

1 person found this review helpful

The Davey Tree Expert Company Response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review.

3. Join the The Davey Tree Expert Company team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

Great employer

Feb 2, 2023 - Customer Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great support from management and colleagues.

Cons

Nothing to mention in this area

5. 4.0

Decent overall

Feb 1, 2023 - Environmental Scientist
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company tries to create a good environment. The work is impactful. Easy advancement if starting at entry level.

Cons

Staff are over worked. Compensation could be better.

The Davey Tree Expert Company Response

We appreciate you sharing your experience. We will share this with leadership and training.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

The location I worked with was the worst employment experience of my life

Jan 25, 2023 - Client Experience Coordinator in Eldridge, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

In depth training from corporate Self starter type of work Fair pay

Cons

Management lacked in everyway possible

The Davey Tree Expert Company Response

Hi, we're very sorry that that was your experience. We will pass along your feedback to leadership.

7. 4.0

Arborist

Jan 26, 2023 - Consulting Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunities for growth and learning within fast-past, ever changing environmental conditions.

Cons

Not happy with Minnesota weather and looking to re-locate to the treasure-coast area.

The Davey Tree Expert Company Response

Thank you for the feedback.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fun at work

Jan 17, 2023 - Inventory Arborist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Title says it all. Most fun I've ever had at a job. Met my best friends here

Cons

Can't work when it rains.

9. 3.0

QUOTA

Jan 20, 2023 - GIS Field Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company provides benefits and a company vehicle as well as supportive training and management.

Cons

You're only as good as your production this week. Weekly goal they talk about in the interview process is actually a very hard quota that you need to meet each and every week for yourself as well as your project as a whole and you may be asked to do extra to make up for someone else.

10. 4.0

Solid company

Jan 3, 2023 - Vegetation Management Inspector (IBEW) I Year +
    Business Outlook

Pros

Davey has a great reputation. Due to this they continue getting more work.They help with career development. Insurance is decently priced.

Cons

Basic cons of working for a large corporation.

The Davey Tree Expert Company Response

Thank you for the feedback. We will share this with leadership and training.

11. 3.0

Underpaid Employees & No Training

Sep 11, 2022 - Arborist
    Business Outlook

Pros

100% employee owned and no micromanagement from corporate goons! You can build wealth by investing in Davey stock and retire comfortably.

Cons

Unfortunately Davey Tree’s new hire starting rate is 15 to 25% below our top 5 competitors and our “old school” senior managers are doing nothing to change this! Are crew members are quitting daily and getting an extra $3 to $10 per hour form our direct competitors. We are literally going backwards and helping to provide experienced workers to our competitors. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!! Pathetically Davey Tree does not invest in training in any significant way! Our “old school” senior managers reject almost every training opportunity and only send 32 people per year up to Kent Ohio for training. I have had to fight for or pay out of pocket for the few advanced training classes I have attended since joining Davey Tree. We are building a multi million dollar training center that should be named “The John Davey Lack of training Center!”

3 people found this review helpful

The Davey Tree Expert Company Response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We will share this with leadership.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 535 Reviews
</>Embed

The Davey Tree Expert Company Reviews FAQs

The Davey Tree Expert Company has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 576 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at The Davey Tree Expert Company to a friend and 64% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, The Davey Tree Expert Company employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at The Davey Tree Expert Company. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

65% of The Davey Tree Expert Company employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated The Davey Tree Expert Company 3.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at The Davey Tree Expert Company to be coworkers, benefits, career development and the cons to be culture, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with The Davey Tree Expert Company Job Seekers